Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
726 Posts
I own and love my QV, but a gt3rs is in an entirely different league when it comes to track performance.
Agreed, already said that the GT3 clobbers the Giulia QF in the Nurburgring, just responding in kind to YouTube videos...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was pretty close to getting a Gulia QV, however I decided against it mostly due to worried about expensive repairs once the warranty is over... I also don’t need a sedan even though I loved driving the cars on a few test drives! Kinda wanted a sports car not a awesome sports sedan!

I decided on a Lotus Evora GT, had the car for just over a month now and no regrets. Yea, it’s not the quickest car for the money but it’s super rare, great looks and the engine sounds pretty amazing even though it’s a Toyota lump and has a manual trans! Find one and take it for a spin

the 911’s and all Porsche’s for that matter have always great cars, they are just way to common and I can’t afford the sporty ones. I didn’t take any for test drives when I was car shopping mostly due to several reviews where they are just kinda meh..... that is unless it’s a gt2, gt3, GT4, or turbo which I can’t afford.

there are probably 20 C8’s in town, they do nothing for me plus, by the time they are optioned up and dealer markups.... they cost more then the Evora.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,423 Posts
I go a week or more without driving mine and start looking for other cars, then take it out for a day and think, "This is the best sports sedan."
This right here

I went out for the first time in a long time with friends tonight. Had an amazing time full of laughs. 2 of my friends are carless ATM so they rode with me. It was a really sporty drive up north. Can't do that with 4 full size people in a 911.

2 different cars with different purposes. I'd love a 2 door mid engine manual track weapon, but I never want to get rid of my qv

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm going to extrapolate from a few of these I've driven and others I just know the features of. Not a comprehensive shakedown but a few thoughts:

- Porsches have more compromised seating positions because space for the rear engine pushes the driver into the front wheel wells. You'll usually notice driver's seat is pointed slightly to the center rather than just straight ahead, the steering wheels and pedals are offset to the right, and the dead pedal is more cramped and pushed closer to the driver. Some front engined German cars do this too; Audi is good, BMW was bad until latest generations, Mercedes is consistently bad. Alfa Giulia is perfect to my eye (couldn't notice any offsets without instruments).

- Porsche sports cars still offer manuals, but because of the rear engine, it's cable actuated and lacking in shift feel. A quick shifter will mask this somewhat.

- Porsches & BMWs use strut front suspension (as do Camaro and probably Mustang). It lowers unsprung weight but gives less control of movement. This is why the double control arm designs of all high-end Italian cars, including Giulias, are more precise (Giulia uses lightweight aluminum arms). I don't consider struts "real" performance. Porsche knows this so the new GT3 is the first and only 911 to have dual control arms. It's no coincidence that you never see a purpose-built racecar with struts.

- Someone said C8. If you like the European feel wait for the dual overhead cam engine they're still working on, or wait a little longer for the twin turbo version of it.

- ZL1 vs GT350: Camaro is a clean sheet design whereas the Mustang was evolutionary. Result is Camaro has less weight like-for-like and better steering feel, but the GT350 engine will be much more rev-happy compared to the old-fashioned ZL1 muscle-car engine.

- Porsche is still using a real dual clutch, even after the latest M3/4 went to torque-converter auto, so it should shift faster than anything short of a Ferrari, including the Giulia.

- BMW engines are terribly made nowadays. Plastic parts. Electric oil pumps. Do NOT own one out of warranty unless you are a mechanic. Look up the Tavarish article on Jalopnik titled "BMW Engines are Tremendous Pieces of Shit".

Godspeed...

·
Registered
2019 Veloce.
36 Posts
At the end of the day German and Italian cars are a reflection of the people; Efficient, competent, unemotional against Flamboyant, passionate, and sensual. Alfa, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini will stir emotions that Porsche, Bmw, Mercedes and Audi can never aspire to. That Italian emotion can be absolute ecstasy or misery. never the less it is emotion which is what bonds us with people and ultimately with our cars.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Having had four Porsche's and one QV, comparing them is an apples to oranges task. My QV in acceleration and top speed is a match for my former 2007 GT3. Both are superb handling machines, and with a skilled driver a late Porsche, any variant, will walk away from a QV on the track. But how you gonna put the family in a 911, or make a Costco run, or like me, put rifle targets in a 911, and drive to a range to sight in my Enfield Jungle Carbine, and my 1903A3 like I did yesterday.

Besides, my wife simply refused to ride in my SharkWorks modded GT3 but likes to go with my in my QV. Both are superb road machines in their own way.

NV

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the car can’t get you out shooting. It’s no good. Huge 1911 fan here with like a dozen different configurations of them and 2 2011’s one fully custom built for uspsa shooting

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

Some of you may know me on this forum from the continued cold start misfire issues I’ve been having with my 2019 Quadrifoglio. As a result, I’ve started casually browsing other brands in case I need to get out of this car.

I had my sights set on a Porsche 992 911 C4S until I test drove one today. I left feeling very surprised, and somewhat frustrated by my disappointment in what is supposed to be one of the most coveted driver’s cars in the world. I left preferring my QV.

Below are some first impressions - I’ve been trying to piece together data (dyno curves, gear ratios, etc.) that might explain my experience, but I’ve not been successful. I’d appreciate any input from folks who have owned or driven both.

First Impressions:

• 911 feels like precision machine more than a car, more “put together” than the QV, less eventful overall
  • 911 feels way heavier than the QV, even though it’s not
  • 911 has surgical, but heavier steering than QV
  • 911 has stiffer suspension, zero body roll, completely glued to the road vs. the QV which sometimes likes to dance about
  • Shifts on a 911 felt like non-events; could barely perceive they were happening vs. the QV which bucks when you shift it
  • 911 torque in lower RPMs felt less powerful than QV - this was probably the most surprising to me. I had to get the 911 up to higher revs to make it exciting
  • The QV feels “zippier.” I had to make the 911 travel through more of its rev range in a given gear to achieve the same feeling of acceleration I get from the QV. 911 acceleration feels noticeably faster than the QV when doing this, but I also end up reaching higher speeds, which I don’t want to do
  • The 911 exhaust feels more like screaming/wailing, while the QV has a deeper/raspier tone and gear shifts that are just way more appealing to me. 911 beats QV in the “pops and crackles” dimension

So there you have it. I went in convinced the 911 would blow the QV out of the water in every way. But I left confused that I preferred my unreliable but incredibly exciting by comparison QV.

What gives? Am I stuck with her forever?
Sorry to disappoint but I went the other way from a 2015 911S to a 2019 Giulia QV. Had numerous problems with the 911, very costly to repair. So far no issues with the QV. Alfa is faster, handles better and is way more comfortable. Drove from Maine to Miami in the Alfa with zero problem. On a trip from DC to Miami in the 911 the AC quit during 90 heat. After a week at the dealership, still wasn't repaired. That's when I switched in to the Alfa. 911 was under warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
726 Posts
Sorry to disappoint but I went the other way from a 2015 911S to a 2019 Giulia QV. Had numerous problems with the 911, very costly to repair. So far no issues with the QV. Alfa is faster, handles better and is way more comfortable. Drove from Maine to Miami in the Alfa with zero problem. On a trip from DC to Miami in the 911 the AC quit during 90 heat. After a week at the dealership, still wasn't repaired. That's when I switched in to the Alfa. 911 was under warranty.
Stop it. Alfas are unreliable squishy crap with cheap buttons and worthless dealers. Everyone knows every other car is better with zero issues...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've only owned two Porsches ever. My beautiful 356 Speedster and one of the first Carrera GTs in the USA. All other Porsches have never had any appeal for me. I have literally never ever seen one and said "Hmmm. I'd like one of those". Cars are incredibly objective things. I grew up as a teenager lusting after Alfas because that's what was accessible then. I had a really pretty stripped out 1750 GTV wth a roll cage and 5 point harness that was a blast to thrash around Willow Springs and I currently have three Alfas in our daily driver stable - A Stelvio and Giulia Ti Sport and a 2020 Quad. I can't see any reason to want another Porsche at this point in my life

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've only owned two Porsches ever. My beautiful 356 Speedster and one of the first Carrera GTs in the USA. All other Porsches have never had any appeal for me. I have literally never ever seen one and said "Hmmm. I'd like one of those". Cars are incredibly objective things. grew up as a teenager lusting after Alfas because that's what was accessible then. I had a really pretty stripped out 1750 GTV wth a roll cage and 5 point harness that was a blast to thrash around Willow Springs and I currently have three Alfas in our daily driver stable - A Stelvio and Giulia Ti Sport and a 2020 Quad. I can't see any reason to want another Porsche at this point in my life View attachment 110626 View attachment 110627
That is a beautiful car!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
I drove a 2016 991 Porsche Turbo today. Impressions vs. 992 4S and QV:

• Steering: WAY more connected to the road than the 992, very communicative, very precise. Lighter steering and smaller steering ratio than a 992, not as light/small ratio as QV, but great. Overall, reminded me of QV steering but slightly better.
  • Transmission: More engaging than 992, almost as engaging as QV. Shifting on the 991 was quick like the 992, but I think because of the added torque and less refined chassis it jolted me a bit more, though not as much as a ZF.
  • Torque: Great torque everywhere, very surprising. Much better than 992. Speed is a rush. Noticeably faster than QV when you get at it, fun even below 60 MPH due to added torque across the RPM range.
  • Throttle Response: more sensitive than 992, not as sensitive as QV. I never realized just how sensitive QV throttle is until recently (which I love).
  • Chassis: great, connected. you feel the bumps and the cornering. It doesn’t “mute” the Gs like the 992 does. Has a feeling of “carving” corners more than 992 and QV. Much more noticeably lighter than 992. Also felt lighter than QV but not my much.
  • Exhaust: Nice, but not as nice as QV. Porsches really have this “screaming” tone when they get going. It does sound better than a 992 though.
  • Interior: Felt like we were back in the 90s. Blah

I got into the QV right after I drove the 991 and I was still “hell yeah” excited to drive it - gave me the same kind of thrills as the Porsche.

QV is truly a masterpiece to drive given how it hangs with cars 2x its price with 1/2 the space. Wish it were more of a masterpiece to own...

41 - 60 of 67 Posts