Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
3,423 Posts
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Interesting to see the shared experiences.

I think a GT3 would be prone to the same need for high revs to pull power out of it, even more so than the 911.

Here’s the list of potential options based on this thread and conversations with friends:

• G80 M3
  • Camaro Zl1 - ugly, but looks like a blast to drive
  • GT350 - high reving, may not feel as zippy as QV
  • RS5
  • something more exotic like a Lotus Evora or Ferrari (does not solve and perhaps worsens reliability issues)

Cars I’ve ruled out from past test drives:

• C63 S - disconnected/boring steering
  • Tesla Model 3 - gobs of torque but feels more like an appliance than a car and too heavy
  • 992 - wanted to love it but not spending ~$150K on a car that doesn’t leave anything other than a thrilling first impression, which this car did not do.

And then there’s the crazy option: another QV
I have to ask the purpose of the car? One buys a qv bc it is the best sedan (read practical 4/5 seat car). But a lot of those cars on your list are 2 seat sports cars or coupes with impractical back seats (read 2 seat cars). Absolutely nothing wrong with them but if your goal is to replace your sedan with another practical car, then options to me are either another qv, either early my 17/18 or my 20/21 to avoid your issues, or the g80 and get it all black so you hide the grille 😂

Having been in a gt350 very recently, it sounds heavenly and it pulls well but the qv is faster and just feels more premium

Reactions: Emozine and August

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Interesting to see the shared experiences.

I think a GT3 would be prone to the same need for high revs to pull power out of it, even more so than the 911.

Here’s the list of potential options based on this thread and conversations with friends:

• G80 M3
  • Camaro Zl1 - ugly, but looks like a blast to drive
  • GT350 - high reving, may not feel as zippy as QV
  • RS5
  • something more exotic like a Lotus Evora or Ferrari (does not solve and perhaps worsens reliability issues)

Cars I’ve ruled out from past test drives:

• C63 S - disconnected/boring steering
  • Tesla Model 3 - gobs of torque but feels more like an appliance than a car and too heavy
  • 992 - wanted to love it but not spending ~$150K on a car that doesn’t leave anything other than a thrilling first impression, which this car did not do.

And then there’s the crazy option: another QV
So for my $$$$
Yes to #s 1,4,5
No to #3
Maybe to #2
Dreaming to #7 (Ferrari)
and for #6 YOUR JOKING?? a bloated AWD oink oink IF your thinking of that get an M8 at least it will be a very fast oink oink.. ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So for my $$$$
Yes to #s 1,4,5
No to #3
Maybe to #2
Dreaming to #7 (Ferrari)
and for #6 YOUR JOKING?? a bloated AWD oink oink IF your thinking of that get an M8 at least it will be a very fast oink oink.. ;)
Haha, yeah I’m just wishing #6 will surprise me. I love the cabin though. Why no to #3 - anyone here driven the G80 M3 that could provide a comparison?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Haha, yeah I’m just wishing #6 will surprise me. I love the cabin though. Why no to #3 - anyone here driven the G80 M3 that could provide a comparison?
Have not driven the G80 yet. BUT if you want the manual you will be getting the "de-tuned" version as the QV HP M3 Comp Car comes only with the ZF8 that is in your QV LOL!
BUT as I have owned every gen of M3, I'm sure from a performance metric the new G80 smokes the F80 it replaces.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so if you like the snout on the M3/M4 more power to you.
as far as the RS5, my brother has one and he came out of an S5 and was expecting an epiphany which didn't happen...LOL the difference in performance is certainly there he says BUT for the extra cash (23k to 26k) the interior is not superior for the $$$

·
Registered
740 Posts
You need to consider what options were on the 911. My track/street test of a 992 Careers S with PASM and the active exhaust made a QV feel like a cheap civic in comparison

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You need to consider what options were on the 911. My track/street test of a 992 Careers S with PASM and the active exhaust made a QV feel like a cheap civic in comparison
If you drove it on the track I’m not surprised. The feeling of precision and traction with the 992 made it clear it would obliterate the QV with much less effort on the track, but... it just wasn’t as fun to drive on the street at normal speeds.

I drove a well-equipped 4S with PASM, sport+ seats. But no rear axle steering.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I thought the PASM suspension was amazingly comfortable on the street... Especially given it was an absolute weapon on the track

The exhaust crackles are halarious as well

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
726 Posts
Really? A 992 Carrerra S only 2 seconds faster on the Nurburgring. Hardly making the QF a cheap civic. And the QF does it with 4 doors.

Unless you meant the GT3, yeah, that's much faster. But it's also twice the price, and only has 2 doors, so it's better be...

·
Registered
740 Posts
No... Just a Carrera S

There is also a youtube video out there of a base 911 beating up on a new M4

·
Registered
3 Posts
... I’ve started casually browsing other brands in case I need to get out of this car.

I had my sights set on a Porsche 992 911 C4S until I test drove one today. I left feeling very surprised, and somewhat frustrated by my disappointment in what is supposed to be one of the most coveted driver’s cars in the world. I left preferring my QV.
I am at 2.5 years with my QV and was getting itchy, but I also haven't found anything that I like better. I go a week or more without driving mine and start looking for other cars, then take it out for a day and think, "This is the best sports sedan."

I was considering selling it and getting a Bentley, either a used GTC or Bentayga. I just drove my friend's GT Speed the other night and while I was surprised by the grunt (was ECU tuned near 700hp) and pleased by the interior trim, the steering was really vague, the pedals were mushy and the lag in the turbo, throttle and brake were totally like every Audi I've driven (owned two A8s for ~10 yrs total). Haven't tried the Bentayga yet but after that 'sportier' GT was not what I hoped, it has me doubting that's the direction I want to go.

I passed on Benz and Audi before the QV for the same lack of engagement. BMW was competitive, but not as good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any QV owners who have driven a 992 turbo s? I’m kind of looking at buying one, but haven’t driven one. I am curious how they compare

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
726 Posts
No... Just a Carrera S

There is also a youtube video out there of a base 911 beating up on a new M4
And there's a YouTube of of Giulia QF harassing a GT3. And the M4 is slower than the Giulia QF around the Nurburgring as well:

·
Registered
17 Posts
And there's a YouTube of of Giulia QF harassing a GT3. And the M4 is slower than the Giulia QF around the Nurburgring as well:

I own and love my QV, but a gt3rs is in an entirely different league when it comes to track performance.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts