Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the costs of consumables for tracking the Giulia QV roughly comparable to those of similar weight cars? I've used up a set of tires and that's to be expected. I've also used up a set of brake pads and now am told by Trackspec in Fremont that I need new rotors. I got a price from my dealer for rotors about $500 each. The dealer wants $500 per axle for pads, but Eurocompulsion has them cheaper. Are there more online sources for genuine Alfa parts?

Is this expected to need brake rotors after just a few track days? Are these costs in line with what one would expect for say an M3 or similar sedan?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I'll leave it to others doing it to compare costs, but the stickier the tire the faster it and your brakes will wear, and tire pressures do make a difference as too low pressures cause the tire to overheat which accelerates wear.
of course how hard you drive, and how you drive hard, make a big difference.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Are the costs of consumables for tracking the Giulia QV roughly comparable to those of similar weight cars? I've used up a set of tires and that's to be expected. I've also used up a set of brake pads and now am told by Trackspec in Fremont that I need new rotors. I got a price from my dealer for rotors about $500 each. The dealer wants $500 per axle for pads, but Eurocompulsion has them cheaper. Are there more online sources for genuine Alfa parts?

Is this expected to need brake rotors after just a few track days? Are these costs in line with what one would expect for say an M3 or similar sedan?

Depends on how you are driving? & what are a "few" track days?...IF you are at the skill level of say member @BostonDMD and you are driving the car at 8/10ths then yes...expect to burn through brake pads & rotors....the OEM tires are just toast after track days...I'm on my second set and they are shot...have yet to put on my new Michelins.
as far as costs...I had more options with my F80 M3 in replacements for brake components so it was less expensive then OEM from dealer, I also had my indy do the work....
If you are a casual track day driver (2-3 a season) at the intermediate level and aren't really really pushing for lap records:grin2: I'm surprised you warped/scored the rotors that quick

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I would have incurred those costs after my last three 20 min. sessions at Lime Rock.....

Lucky for me Alfa Romeo picked up the tab.......
Thanks AR!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have incurred those costs after my last three 20 min. sessions at Lime Rock.....

Lucky for me Alfa Romeo picked up the tab.......
Thanks AR!!
Would you expect the same with other similar weight cars, an M3 / M4? I'm just wondering if everyone expects to pay $3000+ each year (or more for more track days) for brakes. I'm giving the car a cool-down lap.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Would you expect the same with other similar weight cars, an M3 / M4? I'm just wondering if everyone expects to pay $3000+ each year (or more for more track days) for brakes. I'm giving the car a cool-down lap.

Thanks.
Yes.

The more advanced driver you are the more you are going to push the car, the more you are going to spend in consumables.... regardless of marquis.....
If you want to save on consumables get a much lighter car......

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
slower is only relative to the driver and it's competition....... but yes that would work to the consumables' advantage too......

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
tracking doesn't have competition, it's just fun.

but slowing a car from 120 or more is going to use a lot more brake and rubber up than slowing it from 100.
so given the same driver, a 4 cyl alfa will cost less to run than a 6.
and a mustang 6 will cost less than a gt350.

with the same driver, equalizing car weight with a bit of ballast.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
that is correct.....

but in all my years of tracking I haven't found many drivers that are not competitive with themselves or others.....

Pretty much everyone from beginner to advanced driver has in car video and/or lap timer, I don't think that is just for fun....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just updating. After talking to more folks, I didn't get new rotors (yet) but did swap in front track pads, EBC Bluestuff based on recommendations here. The good news is they didn't overheat and deposit material on the rotors like the stock pads did, but they also are more than 50% gone after one track day.

I was thinking of trying the Hawk HP Plus, since there aren't that many options out there, but I recall seeing some folks on here saying they were worse than the OEM pads.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anybody know the cross-reference fits for aftermarket brake pads on the QV? I understand they may be the same as some models of Maserati or Ferrari but don't know the specifics.

Also, anyone tried the EBC Orangestuff pads? They appear to be new and perhaps a better fit for the QV. EBC specifically mention "suitable for top street based saloons."

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/orange-stuff/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.