Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take my gf to a nice place in Narragansett, RI which amount to about a 150 mile trip from where I am in NY. The first half of the trip from Westchester, NY I actually got almost 32MPG for nearly 90 miles. We stopped at a outlet shopping center which hurt the mileage a bit but finished up with a respectable 30.4 MPG for the entire two and a half hour trip.

I did use A mode because most of the trip is on 95 so not much of a scenic drive or fun road to really use any other mode, especially with cruise control on. A mode has its place I guess for long cruises on cruise control. Anyway not too shabby for a 505HP sedan!

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
I took a similar same trip to Newport but encountered a Ferrari on my drive home which killed my mpgs >:)

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I decided to take my gf to a nice place in Narragansett, RI which amount to about a 150 mile trip from where I am in NY. The first half of the trip from Westchester, NY I actually got almost 32MPG for nearly 90 miles. We stopped at a outlet shopping center which hurt the mileage a bit but finished up with a respectable 30.4 MPG for the entire two and a half hour trip.

I did use A mode because most of the trip is on 95 so not much of a scenic drive or fun road to really use any other mode, especially with cruise control on. A mode has its place I guess for long cruises on cruise control. Anyway not too shabby for a 505HP sedan!
That's amazing. That's pretty much what I get with my Q4 Ti. Hail the QV...

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
too funny...I am making that trip(Newport) tomorrow for the weekend...I will (gulp) drive the car in A mode to see what mileage I get as well...I WILL NOT be stopping at the outlets (wifey was already informed, enough shopping was done in Rome LOL)..
will be the first time in 1.5 years that the car will be driven in A mode...
.hope it doesn't freak out on me! LOL

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is A mode?:grin2:
Lol. Still if you’re just cruising on the interstates with the adaptive cruise control, which I’ve really come to like quite a bit, it can’t hurt to use A mode. The added mileage is nice but more range = less stops which is always good in my book. You figure if you’re topping 30mpg your range will be over 450 miles. Still it’s impressive for a not exactly featherweight sedan with 505 Italian ponies!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I also got 30mpg (according to the computer) on a recent trip from NY to NC. I had it set on A mode most of the way - boring highway driving. My normal averages about 21 however...

·
Registered
359 Posts
What is A mode?:grin2:

This is what my wife says about A mode as well... "Why would I have care like this, only to castrate it by putting it in A mode?" (and she just has a Ti)

Out of curiosity, does A mode on the Quad lock out the front spoiler from deploying at highway speeds? Other than the obvious alteration of ECU modes, it seems stopping the spoiler from deploying would be a useful way to cut some aero drag when you don't need the extra downforce just cruising at 70mph on a highway.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
too funny...I am making that trip(Newport) tomorrow for the weekend...I will (gulp) drive the car in A mode to see what mileage I get as well...I WILL NOT be stopping at the outlets (wifey was already informed, enough shopping was done in Rome LOL)..
will be the first time in 1.5 years that the car will be driven in A mode...
.hope it doesn't freak out on me! LOL
Hopefully you encounter a Ferrari on 95 like I did.

I also came across an M2 that pulled into the parking lot where I was going (Newport Mansions, which was beautiful and you should go) strutting his stuff a little because he didn't see my QV, so I put it in race mode and went to park next to him. He immediately changed his tune and dropped his jaw

·
Registered
383 Posts
Congrats on the trip, very nice!

I think my car is defective.. it only has D mode.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Hopefully you encounter a Ferrari on 95 like I did.

I also came across an M2 that pulled into the parking lot where I was going (Newport Mansions, which was beautiful and you should go) strutting his stuff a little because he didn't see my QV, so I put it in race mode and went to park next to him. He immediately changed his tune and dropped his jaw
there is a yellow 550:grin2: I see every summer when I'm in Newport what a beautiful car...
I generally park my car and walk Newport as I am close to everything, the mansions are indeed something to take in....the 1% of the 1%..not bad for a "summer cottage":grin2:

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
there is a yellow 550:grin2: I see every summer when I'm in Newport what a beautiful car...
I generally park my car and walk Newport as I am close to everything, the mansions are indeed something to take in....the 1% of the 1%..not bad for a "summer cottage":grin2:
A fitting place to park a qv

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
My results were similar this February on my way home to PA. And DMD, A mode is the fuel saving mode that sounds exactly like D mode with the Forza valve open. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did a 600 miles run from Charlotte to the coast and back mostly in N but a few times in D, between 75 or 80 mph and at the end of trip it showed 28.7mpg. I though it was phenomenal. In town I am lucky if I get 15mpg

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Kudos to You Guys!

I have to say that you gentleman are disciplined folks:grin2:
To track your consumption is exemplary....I don't have that kind of discipline>:)
I can honestly say that I have never tracked the MPG of any car I have ever owned....best I ever did was fill the tank, mark the amount of gallons and run her to almost empty and mark the miles....:grin2:
I will give you a guys an MPG count running in D mode and exceeding the limit to the best of my ability in a safe manner>:)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Lol. Still if you’re just cruising on the interstates with the adaptive cruise control, which I’ve really come to like quite a bit, it can’t hurt to use A mode. The added mileage is nice but more range = less stops which is always good in my book. You figure if you’re topping 30mpg your range will be over 450 miles. Still it’s impressive for a not exactly featherweight sedan with 505 Italian ponies!
Honestly I surprise myself how often I use it. I have 40 mile commute and 32 of that is on highways. Throw it in A and adaptive cruise it handles 85 really well.

I also have surprised myself how much I use Race!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am both impressed and encouraged by gas mileage that good! I'm trying to get into the habit of using A mode if I'm going to be on the highway for any period of time. Then I put it in Race when I'm 2 streets from home just to hear the exhaust on downshifts and put myself in a better mood after a long drive.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
That's amazing. That's pretty much what I get with my Q4 Ti. Hail the QV...
Similar here. Long flat constant speed drives appear to yield:

60MPH: 35-36MPG
70MPH: 32-33 MPG
75MPH: 30-31 MPG

Faster than that: where are you driving?

Other forum members have reported 35-37MPG at 75MPH.

The available gasoline might make a difference. Some areas have as much as 15% ethanol in the gasoline mix and that can't be good for fuel economy. I think California is closer to 10% in the mix.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m not an expert but while the added ethanol has less energy than the gasoline for the same volume but has anti-knock properties like having higher octane that allows for more aggressive timing...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was able to get 26.8 mpg and then 28.8 mpg with adaptive cruise this last weekend to Asheville. I was in A with adaptive cruise set a little higher than Jerry however. I think my range was only 400 miles. I think the MPG and range does fall off quickly on this car the faster you go. I don't want to say what it was set at but I was keeping up as well as keeping back traffic....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts