Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to replace the P Zeros on our '17 QV.

The Michelin Sport 4s I want to put on are not available in the USA in the correct size for the rears, and no one can tell me when they will be. The tire store can get Michelin Sport 3s, but with a 500 treadwear, they seem to be too much the other way in terms of performance in the stickiness and steering areas.

So, if I can't get the Michelin Sport 4s, what should I buy? The 3s, or some other brand?

I don't want to go back to P-Zeros, as they were terrible in cold weather, even in Houston's mild winter weather. But maybe that's the best route to retain the car's great handling?

This is a daily driver that gets driven fairly aggressively, but will rarely see track use, if at all. We get lots of rain and hot weather here, so they have to handle water and heat well.

Look forward to your thoughts/recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
Tire Rack has the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in stock. Can't go wrong with these for summer use and they will definitely be a tad grippier than the OEM Corsa's in the cooler weather. If Alfa Romeo wished to put a more streetable OEM tire on the car, something from the Michelin catalog. Cant go wrong!

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,948 Posts
For those of us with dedicated winter tires, which are better summers, Pirelli or Michelin?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have an extra set of wheels with Michelin AS 3+ tires, and in my opinion they pretty much trashed the handling of the car. The Pirellis are amazing in how they do exactly what the driver demands.
The steering ratio requires very little input to achieve a specific result with the Pirellis, but the michelins tend to slightly over steer, which is probably because the side walls are more flexible as well as the tread. And so a small input with the steering wheel will actually give a bigger result with the all-season tires than I would get with the Pirellis. What happens is that you tend to hunt a little bit while you're going down the road, where you give it a little steering input, but it gives you more than you really wanted, and then you find yourself correcting back a little bit. You have to learn a different style of driving and steering with the all seasons. Once those All Seasons are mounted in October, in my opinion the fun is over until next spring. It's not the same car with the all seasons. When the Pirellis are worn out I'll have a difficult decision to make, because I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on tires that might not handle as well as the Pirellis.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who responded. Very useful info.

I checked with Tire Rack, and they also do not have the Michelin 4s in the correct size for the rear.

Kanundrum - will the extra 10mm at both ends affect the handling? How?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I suspect the regular PZero's would be better than the Corsas. The corsas are a hot lap, Nordschleife record tire and that's about it. ;)

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
I just put on a new set of Michelin Pilot SS in the OEM size, with 280 thread wear they will give very good grip and better wear not to mention you can drive the car in sub 40 degree weather, have not tracked them yet but will
I get that it is “old tech” but I have always had good results with SS tires oh in the hard rain much better than the Corsas

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also vote for MPSSs. The 4S is just the latest revision of those tires basically. I've had SSs on 3 previous cars (991S, GT350, C7Z06) and they handled great and wore very well. Just don't expect to be able to drive them in light snow, but they do fine in near freezing temps.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I also vote for MPSSs. The 4S is just the latest revision of those tires basically. I've had SSs on 3 previous cars (991S, GT350, C7Z06) and they handled great and wore very well. Just don't expect to be able to drive them in light snow, but they do fine in near freezing temps.
I currently have Corsas so I guess I'll have to start looking for an all season set soon as we get bouts of sub freezing for a few weeks in my area. If I go with the pilot ss I'm a bit confused from the previous posts....do they not come in OEM sizes, or is it just the one vendor tire rack that doesn't have them? Or is there a better size than OEM?

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
Thought I'd add that summer performance top accolades goes to Michelin in the SS (or newer Michelin) category with the Corsa AR's being top on the list.

Other tires feel squeemish when under load compared to the Michelin and Corsas. The Kumho and Conti and Bridgestone are great tires, though, they lack the crispness and razor-like reflex of the Michelins and Corsas.

In a prior life I had a CTS-V and it was an awesome car for quick vaporization and tread recycling. ;) The other brands outside of Michelin are generally less expensive because you really do get what you pay for... better handling and overall responsiveness are inherent in the higher priced Michelins

The Michelin SS's caught my eye because they are in clearance mode from distribution. Mega bang for the buck.

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
I currently have Corsas so I guess I'll have to start looking for an all season set soon as we get bouts of sub freezing for a few weeks in my area. If I go with the pilot ss I'm a bit confused from the previous posts....do they not come in OEM sizes, or is it just the one vendor tire rack that doesn't have them? Or is there a better size than OEM?
link to Michelin Super Sports

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
726 Posts
We have the Super Sports on our 4C and the PS4S on our Giulia QV. You cannot go wrong with either tire.

One thing I have found with Michelin is that they do take a while to break in and get really grippy. I think it's more than just the mold release compound wearing off, it could be something with the actual compound needing a heat cycle or two (ala motorsport tires) to really give their best. After that, watch out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'll throw in a suggestion for Continental DWS06. IMO they're great overall, but they're really fantastic in the rain. Cheaper than Michelins too. I live in the Pacific Northwest and drove my QV all winter in rain and some snow, no issues at all. They come in stock sizes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Get Pilot Sport 4S in the 255/295 Combo.
THIS recommendation is tops. That's what I have on my Quad, and I love them. No negative issues. Great wet and dry handling, totally way better grip than the OEM tires.

Caution, however: These tires are not recommended to be driven (or stored or moved) below 20 degrees F.

The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
and
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle. Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

I do have the AS3+ on my daughter's Lexus, a much better "all season" tire, but nothing nearly as "sport-capable"as the MPS4S.

Reactions: Bender

·
Registered
691 Posts
Get Pilot Sport 4S in the 255/295 Combo.
THIS recommendation is tops. That's what I have on my Quad, and I love them. No negative issues. Great wet and dry handling, totally way better grip than the OEM tires.

Caution, however: These tires are not recommended to be driven (or stored or moved) below 20 degrees F.

The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
and
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle. Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

I do have the AS3+ on my daughter's Lexus, a much better "all season" tire, but nothing nearly as "sport-capable"as the MPS4S.
Those that are swapping tires seasonally, did you purchase a separate set of rims? Seems a huge hassle to lug 4 tires to the service center and the repeated on off, balancing, etc would be ripe for rum damage by a less than meticulous shop.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Those that are swapping tires seasonally, did you purchase a separate set of rims? Seems a huge hassle to lug 4 tires to the service center and the repeated on off, balancing, etc would be ripe for rum damage by a less than meticulous shop.
Yes. It is MUCH more convenient for just a little extra more dollars.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yes, I got a separate set of OEM wheels from a shop in Italy, kitwheels off of ebay. Initially I thought I got a good deal, but ended up spending $200 to fix some chips and then $400 to diagnose and replace some incorrect TPMS sensors and then another $200 to the detailer to fix some discoloration and apply Optimum Pro coating. In the end spent $2000 for the set which is still a lot better than dealer price for a new set.
I have The original Corsas on tecnico wheels and Pilot AS3 on the 5-holes for the winter. Both are good tires. The only complaint I have with the AS3 is that they are a little noisier than the Corsas. To me they handle fine, especially for all season tires.

When the Corsa wear, I'll probably go with the Pilot SS if they are still available. I've had them before and have used them all year in NC without trouble.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,948 Posts
Yes, I got a separate set of OEM wheels from a shop in Italy, kitwheels off of ebay. Initially I thought I got a good deal, but ended up spending $200 to fix some chips and then $400 to diagnose and replace some incorrect TPMS sensors and then another $200 to the detailer to fix some discoloration and apply Optimum Pro coating. In the end spent $2000 for the set which is still a lot better than dealer price for a new set.
I have The original Corsas on tecnico wheels and Pilot AS3 on the 5-holes for the winter. Both are good tires. The only complaint I have with the AS3 is that they are a little noisier than the Corsas. To me they handle fine, especially for all season tires.

When the Corsa wear, I'll probably go with the Pilot SS if they are still available. I've had them before and have used them all year in NC without trouble.

Are you using the AS3 on 19s and for the winter, how is that with snow?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.