Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my first test drive of the QV last week and even in Dynamic mode, from a standstill there seemed to be a long delay between pushing the pedal and the car accelerating. I wouldn't even describe it as turbo lag, because when accelerating while moving I didn't experience the delay. My last 3 cars were all turbo so I know what turbo lag feels like. I also drive stick so I can spool the turbo up before releasing the clutch so I can control my launches.

For example, I was completely stopped, floored it, and about 2 seconds later the car finally accelerated. Does anyone else feel the same way? Is this a case for the pedal booster that I see people posting about?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I took my first test drive of the QV last week and even in Dynamic mode, from a standstill there seemed to be a long delay between pushing the pedal and the car accelerating. I wouldn't even describe it as turbo lag, because when accelerating while moving I didn't experience the delay. My last 3 cars were all turbo so I know what turbo lag feels like. I also drive stick so I can spool the turbo up before releasing the clutch so I can control my launches.

For example, I was completely stopped, floored it, and about 2 seconds later the car finally accelerated. Does anyone else feel the same way? Is this a case for the pedal booster that I see people posting about?
My QV also performs the same as yours does. Through experimentation you will learn that you will get a more delayed start if you floor the gas pedal. The only way that you can launch the car with any quickness at all is by simply squeezing the gas pedal a little bit. If you push the gas pedal a lot you will soon discover that you have too much power. That is why simply squeezing the gas pedal is the best strategy.

I have also figured out that dynamic and race modes do give a slightly quicker launch. What is missing with the launch in normal mode is that little "pop" of acceleration that you usually get with an automatic transmission. Instead the launch is very lackluster in my opinion. Race mode comes pretty close to giving you a pop, but when I drive in race mode or dynamic mode I have to switch to paddle shifting to avoid the high rpm shifts and hard downshifts.

I think flooring causes the ECU to do some safety checks to make sure the input was not a mistake.

I had my QV checked out by the dealer and it is supposedly performing exactly as designed. It is a drive by wire system, and so there is a computer between you and what the motor does. I hate DBW, and my previous car had a cable operated throttle.

I have done a lot of reading about ecu programming, and I suspect that the engine is being severely torque limited at low rpms. If that is true then the only fix would be an aftermarket tune. I tried the madness go pedal, but it will not fix the problem that you are complaining about. I ended up returning it.

I have been vocal with Alfa Romeo in surveys, and with the follow-up Alfa Care phone call after I took it to the dealer to be checked out, but I will be very surprised if they ever fix it by reprogramming the ecu. The throttle response is my number one complaint about my QV.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had mine (QV) for three weeks now. I have 600 miles and have never had this issue. I also drive a 2016 GTI for my daily driver - very little lag - there is no way I have anything even close to 2 seconds.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have had mine (QV) for three weeks now. I have 600 miles and have never had this issue. I also drive a 2016 GTI for my daily driver - very little lag - there is no way I have anything even close to 2 seconds.
The 2 second lag he is talking about is when he has floored the accelerator pedal from a standing start. It's likely that he is exaggerating a little on its the duration, but I don't doubt that he is experiencing a lag in that situation. Go ahead and try it yourself and you will discover the same thing.

If you read my long post above you will see that my QV has very lackluster throttle response when starting out from a standing start even if it has not been floored. I have already given up any notion that I might be able to chirp my tires with a fast start in Normal or Dynamic mode, but I still wish that I could at least get a nice little "pop" of acceleration when I hit the gas pedal. Even the Lincoln MKZ that they gave me as a loaner had a more satisfying "pop" compared to my $80k QV.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No such issue here...in race the tires slide in first and second...keep in mind this is not a drag racer. If a quick start is what he is after - Dodge Demon....packing a few hundred more horses...but it would not play on the ring. I am going to take mine to track days...where it can run safely.

·
Registered
473 Posts
No such issue here...in race the tires slide in first and second...keep in mind this is not a drag racer. If a quick start is what he is after - Dodge Demon....packing a few hundred more horses...but it would not play on the ring. I am going to take mine to track days...where it can run safely.
How does your car do when you launch from a standing start in Normal mode? That is the mode that most of us use on a daily basis, and with my QV it has a very lackluster start. I can actually get a more spirited launch from the Lincoln MKZ loaner car than I can get with my QV.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In normal it feels like a daily driver...a car that my wife would drive with no issues. That is what is really neat about this car - in normal it is a very average car....but in race - everything is different. I have a Ferrari California - the change to sport - on a scale of 10 - is a 4. I have a Maserati QP - sport - is about the same - a separate button for shocks - 3 for the shocks. In the Giulia - race is a 9...suspension is noticeably stiffer, throttle is crisp...the algorithm for shifting is incredible...those downshifts under braking make me rethink the need for a stick. Giulia, normal mode is to get you to the track safely, so you can experience race. I feel like the owners of the Ferrari GTOs must have felt a half century ago.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I'm not sure how this would translate from an F1 robotic manual, but on my 360, I have found a "double dip" approach works well, even with no tire chirp. I understand this to be an initial soft computer launch to get the drive shaft turning, then once the sensors see this, the driver has more say in how much throttle is applied and power put down. So the dips go like, "crack the throttle" to get the car moving, and then "mash the throttle" to tell the computer what you really want. Sport mode - on, ASR - off = Race mode. Do you think there is a bit more tortion flex in the carbon drive shaft?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
In normal it feels like a daily driver...a car that my wife would drive with no issues. That is what is really neat about this car - in normal it is a very average car....but in race - everything is different. I have a Ferrari California - the change to sport - on a scale of 10 - is a 4. I have a Maserati QP - sport - is about the same - a separate button for shocks - 3 for the shocks. In the Giulia - race is a 9...suspension is noticeably stiffer, throttle is crisp...the algorithm for shifting is incredible...those downshifts under braking make me rethink the need for a stick. Giulia, normal mode is to get you to the track safely, so you can experience race. I feel like the owners of the Ferrari GTOs must have felt a half century ago.
Awesome! The Challenge Stradale TCU I bought for my Spider does the same thing except for the suspension and power maps which are in the ECU. But the shifting? Incredible! Throttle blips and banging through gears is waaaay better on a CS. This is why I don't worry about leaving the manual world. I think the sensors involved in launching can be tweaked and the driving controls finessed enough to get us there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My Quad exhibit the exact same issue when foot on the floor, at least in dynamic mode. Have not tried in Race mode. I experienced the lag a last week when taking on a Camero from a red light. By the time the Quad got really going he was at least four to five car lenghts ahead. Then it was like I was shot out of a cannon. Not only the Camero got reeled in but past him like he was stading still. At the next light he rolled his window down and ask "That is one **** of a motor you got int here". DId not tell him that it was half the size of his big V8. Anyway, the intial lag, regardless if it is due to turbos or the ecu or the transmission, it is unnerving.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think it is the ecu, and unfortunately you will get a slower launch if you floor it. The only way to get a somewhat decent launch is to just squeeze the gas pedal to tell the ecu your intent, and the give it more gas after that. I don't like it, but that is the only way you can launch this car short of putting a foot on the brake and the gas pedal at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.