Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QV has been in my hands for less than 24 hours. The DNA selector will not go into Race Mode. Put it park, put in neutral, stepped on the brake, stepped off the brake, and let the car warm up. Nothing. Tried it with my left hand too. Any one else running into this issue? I love the car, but it freaks me out that less than 100 miles and fewer than 24 hours later I am already having a possible problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are you turning the dial correctly? You have to turn it, then keep turning it past the 'stop' to apply pressure against the spring, then it returns to the D position. First time I couldn't figure out how to put it into race, I wasn't twisting past the spring hard enough.

The QV does not limit going into race for mileage or break-in purposes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Are you expecting it to stay in Race mode?

From the Owner's Manual:

Unlike the other modes, the RACE position does not latch; therefore, by rotating the selector to RACE, it will return to its initial position "d".

The symbol of the active mode lights up in red on the selector. On the instrument panel display, the different modes are characterized by different colors:
Natural - Blue
Dynamic - Red
Advanced Efficiency - Green
RACE - Yellow

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Are you turning the dial correctly? You have to turn it, then keep turning it past the 'stop' to apply pressure against the spring, then it returns to the D position. First time I couldn't figure out how to put it into race, I wasn't twisting past the spring hard enough.

This might be the answer...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Ahh, that could be it. My 4C is the same way, but it's a lever not a dial. My Ti doesn't have race mode :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
QV has been in my hands for less than 24 hours. The DNA selector will not go into Race Mode. Put it park, put in neutral, stepped on the brake, stepped off the brake, and let the car warm up. Nothing. Tried it with my left hand too. Any one else running into this issue? I love the car, but it freaks me out that less than 100 miles and fewer than 24 hours later I am already having a possible problem.
Mine will not go into race either due to the warning light being on for my faulty amp.

Do you have any fault lights on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i dont have a qv myself but guy at the dealership was telling me a story about someone that got one and was complaining race was working for him and he said something about it needing to have like 500 miles on it before it will activate so the car had time to be calibrated or something.

not sure if thats 100% accurate or if its based on some other usage statistic.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i dont have a qv myself but guy at the dealership was telling me a story about someone that got one and was complaining race was working for him and he said something about it needing to have like 500 miles on it before it will activate so the car had time to be calibrated or something.

not sure if thats 100% accurate or if its based on some other usage statistic.
When we test drove the Q it was only in Race mode for us. :wink2:

Vehicle had less than 100 miles on it at the time.

Oh, that sweet exhaust note in Race mode... :grin2:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
While I'm fine with the amount of power my Ti has (hope that doesn't shock anyone), I'd really like a mode that adds some snarl to its exhaust.

·
Registered
440 Posts
While I'm fine with the amount of power my Ti has (hope that doesn't shock anyone), I'd really like a mode that adds some snarl to its exhaust.
Not to go off topic for the OP but Race mode makes it sound like a completely different car. We were in the lot getting ready to take the test drive and the sales rep put it in Race mode, instantly I knew then the Q was going to be the car. Didn't even need to drive it, didn't matter. It sounded that good to me -- at idle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When we test drove the Q it was only in Race mode for us. :wink2:

Vehicle had less than 100 miles on it at the time.

ah alright. yeah i couldnt find anyhtng in the manual about it either. guessing the guy was just making stuff up & really the car was in Logistics mode that Cassino was talking about in the previous response

·
Registered
170 Posts
You have to put it into manual first. Same thing happened to me, wouldn't go into race mode, I thought maybe you have to be in manual first, and that did the trick.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You have to put it into manual first. Same thing happened to me, wouldn't go into race mode, I thought maybe you have to be in manual first, and that did the trick.
Interesting. My 4C forces the manual mode when selecting race mode. But there was a 200 mile break-in period first. I'm really surprised at the differences in logic between the Quad and 4C.

·
Registered
814 Posts
My salesman told me I had to put it into manual shifting before I could put into Race mode also. But I can put it into race mode even if it's an auto.

I suspect when he went to the big training class AR told him that as that may have been the original design. But myQV got brand-new ECUs with the latest software and I think maybe the later models allowed to go into race mode in either auto or manual.

Not to go off topic but but my biggest race mode quirk is:
Digital speedometer goes away and is unavailable in racing mode.

Not a quirk but an issue: When tracking hard if you have less than a third of a tank of gas you can set off engine codes and go into the limp mode. Mine did it twice in a row on a small elevation when the cars the rear tires lifted off the ground and became very unweighted a bit. It is possible a difference in the wheelspin might've done it too but it never did itvearlier in the day on that same location so unless the difference in weight of gas will cause the car to lift higher Believe it was because the gas tank was low and the car's computer sensed a possible fuel starvation.

Just cleared the code with my code checker and all was well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not a quirk but an issue: When tracking hard if you have less than a third of a tank of gas you can set off engine codes and go into the limp mode.
Same thing happened with me. I discussed it with with some of the Alfa Romeo drivers at an Alfa driving event, they just said it was a characteristic of the car but they'd all experienced it.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
My salesman told me I had to put it into manual shifting before I could put into Race mode also. But I can put it into race mode even if it's an auto.

Not a quirk but an issue: When tracking hard if you have less than a third of a tank of gas you can set off engine codes and go into the limp mode.
So one is forced to carry extra weight when tracking? Hmmm... I wonder whether fuel tank baffles would help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hmmm, when the car wouldn't go into race mode in auto that was same day as leaving dealership so very low kms. Since then I've always put into manual first. I have over 200 km on odometer now, so next time I go for a drive in it will try again in auto and report back.

My QV is a March 17 build and compliance, and supposedly had software updates before taking delivery, not sure if that's just for infotainment system and or otherwise. Also, it's right hand drive and upside-down because 'Straya mate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts