Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MY18 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Misano Blue with Sparco seats and carbon ceramic brakes.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mobile phone Product Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device

Font Material property Newsprint Paper Publication

Mobile phone Telephony Mobile device Portable communications device Communication Device

Speedometer Car Trip computer Vehicle Odometer

I’ve had a problem for a few weeks where this Service Brake System message pops up and goes away, but the red brake light stays on the entire time I’m driving the vehicle. All functions work. Race mode and everything.

I took the vehicle to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with my brakes. They couldn’t find anything wrong other than some cloudy brake fluid and said that might be causing the issue. They flushed the fluid. Light went away for a day and the car was normal. Light returned and here we are. Car drives fine once again like nothings wrong. The message just pops up, goes away, and the red brake light stays lit while driving.

Pulled these codes. They have nothing to do with the brakes from what I researched.

Any thoughts or has anyone experienced this?

My QV is equipped with carbon ceramic brakes.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Those codes you are pulling are likely being caused by the cheap reader. To read the abs codes you need a proper setup such as MES and the correct adapter cables. The dealer should have easily been able to pull the codes and address the issue. Might be time to find another dealer. I think the most common cause for this is worn out pads or a shorted pad sensor wire. The latter has a popular TSB.

·
Registered
MY18 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Misano Blue with Sparco seats and carbon ceramic brakes.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those codes you are pulling are likely being caused by the cheap reader. To read the abs codes you need a proper setup such as MES and the correct adapter cables. The dealer should have easily been able to pull the codes and address the issue. Might be time to find another dealer. I think the most common cause for this is worn out pads or a shorted pad sensor wire. The latter has a popular TSB.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll pick up a proper MES. I didn’t realize what I had was junk.

I would of thought they’d see the codes also and see what was going on. They said the flush was the first step in the diagnosis process to figure out and determine what the problem is. I really don’t feel like playing the diagnosis game at my expense if we should be able to tell what specifically is causing that red brake light to illuminate.

I tried to locate the TSB for a shorter brake pad sensor. Could you or someone kindly point me in the right direction? I’m not too familiar with how to navigate the forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If there are no mechanical problems then it's likely electrical.
It could be loose or dirty terminals or the module itself
Thanks! I’ll probably share that file with the service team and recommend checking out the items listed above. When you say loose or dirty terminals, what are you talking about exactly? That seems like an easy fix if that’s the case.

The light has disappeared 2 different times that I’ve driven since posting here, but mostly every time I drive it’s still is lit up.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
The light going on and off sounds like a connection problem..intermittent faults are usually electrical in nature.
check all of the connections at the ABS module..if that is OK, they recommend an ABS/HCU replacement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The light going on and off sounds like a connection problem..intermittent faults are usually electrical in nature.
check all of the connections at the ABS module..if that is OK, they recommend an ABS/HCU replacement.
This was it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts