Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a set of 19x10 rear QV wheels for my Ti.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/292084630401?_mwBanner=1

The offset on these is 41 compared to my existing 19x8" which have an offset of 33.

Will reply back with how they fit (the dealership confirmed that these will fit my Ti, and another wheel shop said the same). It's possible that they were talking out of their butts..But when I look at the clearance between the back of the rim and the suspension strut, I don't see why an extra 33.4mm closer to the strut would cause a problem.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...t2=35&wheel_size=19&wheel_width=10&offset2=41

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I would think you'll be ok. The upper shock/strut location has to be the same from the Quadrifoglio to the Ti

Though, the real question if the hub bearing construction of the Ti is inset nearer to the strut or not. My guess is not. Manufacturers need to keep as many similarities as they can between similarly bodied cars to reduce extension to the parts bin catalogs. In other words, the rear end assembly of the Quad should fit the Ti and vice versa. *Should* -- being the key operative word.

Hope it works out and let us know !

·
Registered
658 Posts
This site has a bunch of wheel / rim data for all the Giulia models, the offset decreases as the rim width increases. It shows the 10" wide 19" rims the come on the Quadrifoglio have an offset of 30mm.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/alfa-romeo/giulia/2017/

But if you combine data from this with the willtheyfit calculator, thanks for the link to that site.

So if your rims are 41mm offset then www.willtheyfit.com says the inside of the rim will be 11mm (~1/2") closer.
But if you compare with the 10.5" width rims also listed for the Quadrifoglio that have an offset of 30m willtheyfit says your rims are only 4.7mm closer
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...t2=30&wheel_size=19&wheel_width=10&offset2=41

And compared to the 11" with 25mm offset it drops to 3.3 mm difference (~1/8")
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...t2=30&wheel_size=19&wheel_width=10&offset2=41

As Eric points out, other variables *may* be in play which may make any of the above website info bogus. I may well have put incorrect info into the willtheyfit calculator, you need to run your own calcs to convince yourself whether its a good idea.

Alan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not confident that the info on this site (https://www.wheel-size.com/size/alfa-romeo/giulia/2017/) is anywhere near accurate. For example, it does not show 225 tires even being an option for the Giulia, nor does it show the 285 size that come with the Giulia QV.

I'm curious where the ET 30 offset reference is coming from for the QV (maybe somebody has a source that's not wheel-size.com?)

Regarding the clearance between the strut and edge of the wheel, here's a pic that I took yesterday from inside the wheel well of my Ti. The distance from the strut to the rim edge is pretty wide (almost as if it was designed for a much wider wheel).

Anyway, I'll know for sure when the rims get here (sometime near the end of the month; they're coming from Italy).

·
Registered
36 Posts
What my dealer did when a client wanted the 19" Q wheels on his car is order 4 front wheels.

As far as I know the back wheels of a Q will nog fit any of the other models.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What my dealer did when a client wanted the 19" Q wheels on his car is order 4 front wheels.

As far as I know the back wheels of a Q will nog fit any of the other models.
Any reason why they will not fit? The measurements suggest that they will.

Also, the Ti can be configured with 19x9 rim for the rear (for the 255 tire). The QV has a 19x8.5 rim for the front (for 245 tires).

Your dealership ordering 4 19x8.5 rims for the client must not have been for figment reasons (since the 19x9 would have fit the rear anyway).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Putting this to rest since there is so much misinformation on the topic.

5 Spoke:

Available sizes:

FRONT: 8,5 X 19 ET 34
REAR: 10 X 19 ET 41
FRONT: 8 X 19 ET 33
REAR: 9 X 19 ET 44,5

Turbine Aluminum Wheels:

Available sizes:

FRONT: 8 X 18 ET 33
REAR: 9 X 19 ET 44,5

10 Spoke:

Available sizes:

FRONT: 8 X 18 ET 33
REAR: 9 X 19 ET 34

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not confident that the info on this site (https://www.wheel-size.com/size/alfa-romeo/giulia/2017/) is anywhere near accurate. For example, it does not show 225 tires even being an option for the Giulia, nor does it show the 285 size that come with the Giulia QV.

I'm curious where the ET 30 offset reference is coming from for the QV (maybe somebody has a source that's not wheel-size.com?)

Regarding the clearance between the strut and edge of the wheel, here's a pic that I took yesterday from inside the wheel well of my Ti. The distance from the strut to the rim edge is pretty wide (almost as if it was designed for a much wider wheel).

Anyway, I'll know for sure when the rims get here (sometime near the end of the month; they're coming from Italy).

Any chance of the same pic with the QV wheels in place?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Today I saw a Giulia RWD Ti with the following PZERO Corsa staggered setup:
• Front 245/35-19
• Rear 285/30-194
Some kind of Frankenstein?

Reactions: mjb

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Today I saw a Giulia RWD Ti with the following PZERO Corsa staggered setup:
• Front 245/35-19
• Rear 285/30-194
Some kind of Frankenstein?
That is the QV standard setup. In my opinion, overkill for a 300HP car.
I am personally looking to upgrade the rear 18' wheels to 255 (right now they are square 225), I think that should be a balanced setup for the base/Ti models.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
I have to admit it looked good.

I was just curious (based on previous comments in this thread) whether such a thing was feasible without making wheel well and suspension changes and who might have performed the surgery.

Reactions: ferraripete

·
Registered
12 Posts
On a Giulia Veloce i.e 2lt 280 hp, has anyone tried moving the rear tyres to the front (255/35 R19) and put new QV size 285/30 R19 on the rear. (QV has 245/35 R19 fnt 285/30R19 rear here in OZ)
It should be the most economical way to get the power down, and staunch it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am personally looking to upgrade the rear 18' wheels to 255 (right now they are square 225), I think that should be a balanced setup for the base/Ti models.
FYI in Australia, veloce comes with 225/40 r19 fnt and 255/35 r19 rear and a wider track than the QV ;)

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,842 Posts
FYI in Australia, veloce comes with 225/40 r19 fnt and 255/35 r19 rear and a wider track than the QV ;)
and 200hp Super with Veloce Pack

Veloce/Super/Giulia base
front track 1557
rear track 1625
length 4643
width 1860
height 1436

Quadrifoglio
front track 1555
rear track 1607
length 4639
width 1873
height 1426

same wheelbase of course

·
Registered
630 Posts
Why would that be a balanced setup for a car that already has 50:50 weight distribution? I'd think that a square setup would be more balanced all things considered. Really wide rear tires may be needed to help tame the 505hp being routed through the rear wheels on the Quadrifoglio. Admittedly I haven't driven a RWD base/Ti model, but on the Q4 cars dry grip in a straight line isn't really a concern even with the all-season run flats. So I'd think it'd be better to keep the square setup to preserve the handling balance in terms of lateral acceleration.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think GMcA explained it best

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/985-alfa-romeo-giulia-ti/27490-qv-without-engine-4.html#post479313
FYI. This is owing to the wider rims and tyres (tires) on the QV: an extra 20mm for front and 60mm for rear tyres. Note: track is the distance between the centre point of the footprints of each tyre sharing a common axle (not between the outside edge of the footprints). Now, so that these wider tyres don't rub against the guards they need to be moved inboard. This is achieved by changing the wheel offset. In this case, the wheel offset on the QV would be more negative (less positive) than other models. Negative wheel offset is where the centreline of the rim is inboard from the mounting surface of the rim. Thus, this more negative (less positive) wheel offset moves the centre of the tyre inboard, resulting in a narrower track. And even though the QV has a narrower track, the distance between the outside edges of the QV's tyre footprints is greater than other models by about 18mm for the front and 42mm for the rear. >:)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Why would that be a balanced setup for a car that already has 50:50 weight distribution? I'd think that a square setup would be more balanced all things considered. Really wide rear tires may be needed to help tame the 505hp being routed through the rear wheels on the Quadrifoglio. Admittedly I haven't driven a RWD base/Ti model, but on the Q4 cars dry grip in a straight line isn't really a concern even with the all-season run flats. So I'd think it'd be better to keep the square setup to preserve the handling balance in terms of lateral acceleration.
How do you know if the 50:50 weight distribution is calculated off staggered or regular setup? In Europe the Veloce is offered with staggered setup as standard. Also the QV has staggered. I believe here in the US they came with square as standard for the following reasons:
- save money (280hp sells for much less here)
- overwhelming Q4 offering (as you said, straight line grip is less of a concern in Q4)
- people really like to rotate tires here, and don't drive as fast

That said, I have exactly the RWD base model, and I my experience I could really use wider rear tires. Slipping occurs even in third gear if you go hard on the gas. It would also help cornering a bit.
I purchased QV wheels to put on my base Giulia for the summer setup. I did consider them overkill back then, but now with the 360 hp tune the situation has changed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts