Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scoured the forums and talked to enough people that I finally needed to start my own thread. I'm so up in the air about what to do here and I want to commit to one ideal solution and forever keep it that way rather than experimenting until I get it right. I figure I can patch enough anecdotes, opinions, and logic together in order to solve this conundrum.

A little back story- I have a 2020 Ti Sport with staggered 19" Dark 5-hole wheels. I had a customer who offered to sell me one of four sets of rims he had for his Giulia. Dark 5-holes 19x9 front with 255/35 Bridgestone Potenzas and 19x10s rear with stock sized 285/30 Pirelli PZeros (non runflat, non Corsa). The tires were only on for about 600-700 miles. He ran them with 1/4" spacers (or something, he doesn't have the spacers anymore and doesn't remember) in the front and all was well and stancing etc was good. My rear PZeros were ROASTED at exactly 10k miles and the fronts are at about half life.

Now for the crux of the situation...

I put the 19x10s on the rear today. HOLY COW how freaking beautiful!! Massive difference in presence, stance, the concavity, so much more rubber visible, the squareness of the tire... Nothing but positive changes there. As for driving I can feel the extra girth in the hips and the car feels more stable in the rear/slightly less willing to rotate at the back end but it's in a secure, planted kind of way, nothing detrimental. There's noticeably more straight-line confidence/grip in gears 1-3. The car used to cut torque in those low gears but now she just giddy-ups and goes... no complaints there. More power can be put down squirting out of a corner without a doubt. Ride quality is also considerably better in the back. I definitely notice the difference between the RFTs in the front and non-RFTs in the rear. That was surprising.

The issue is now the front looks whimpy as all hell with these hair-thin tires and looks like a damn tractor or funny car because they sit so inboard from the edge of the wheel well relative to the rears. The car has much more of a tendency to understeer when pushed hard around a corner (duh). 225s front and 285s rear ain't gonna cut it for the next 8-10k miles. I need more rubber in the front! At the extreme minimum right now I need front wheel spacers to bring the rim out to sit similar to the 10" wide wheels in the back. The other thing is I hate the fact that I can feel the RFTs in the front more obviously now. It's making me want to ditch the tires and get wider non-RFT PZeros with either a 235 or 245 width on the 8" rim. The amount of stretch that's on the rim right now is extreme with the 225. 235 non-RFTs on the 8" wide fronts would be a great improvement I'm sure. Now given that the PZeros run "small" for their size, would a 245 fit on the 8" rim?? Would it be detrimental to handling feel and grip with that much rubber on the 8" rim regarding sidewall flex and all that?

I could put the 19x9s with the 255 Bridgestones that he sold me on but I don't want to have mismatched tire compounds... Not sure how the difference in rubber, tread pattern, sidewall etc. would affect handling along with the extra width as compared to the 8" wide fronts now. I know some people have run 19x9 square setups that seemed to handle excellently so might not be a big risk to put the 19x9s up front. The 19x8 wheels have a 33 offset I believe and the 19x9 wheels have a 34 offset. What sized spacer would be good in either case? 10mm? 12? 15? Does the difference in Potenzas vs PZeros matter that much? Does anyone want to buy a set of 4 rims?? either staggered or 19x9 square? LOL

What would you guys do? What factors are important and which factors aren't as important in this scenario? I'm so picky when it comes to the aesthetics, handling, and pragmatic aspects, like not wanting to waste money or rubber or space sitting on a set of wheels I don't need or spending more money unnecessarily just to get matching tire compunds if it's not going to make a huge difference. I apologize for the spewage in advance and welcome any thoughts anyone has on this after having had the patience to read it through. Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
689 Posts
Yeah 19x9 up front is what you need to do. I would not even bother with the 19x8s. Just get new tires for them. I am debating on doing the 19x9, 19x10 setup or go with a 19x9 square setup, heck I may get 18x9 setup. Just not sure yet where I want to be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was contemplating it all day on the backburner and I think you're right... I should get 255/35R19 PZero non-RFT for the front and run a slight spacer. Would 12mm on the front be too much with the 19x9 ET34 wheels on the front?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I run the same staggered QV specification
Wheels on my Giulia 200PS with H&R
down spring -40mm

Front : 5mm spacer
Rear : 3mm spacer

In Japan due to the legal issue this is the maximum however you can put 10mm front and rear 5mm without cutting inner fender.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In regards to tyres, I personally recommend BS Potenza, I often go to the track and I’m shocked how RE-12D grips and melts..
On the daily street use, I use Continental DWS which last longer (TW 560 M/S) and reasonable price and sufficient grip.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,112 Posts
TLDR;

How about 8.5" from the QV up front? I have the 8" square setup and run 245/35, fyi.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven't been on since I made the swap. I put the 9" rims in the front and 10" in the back. After driving the car for about 700 miles now with some highway cruising, pothole-riddled city driving, and epic back road carving I've been able to come to some pretty good conclusions here. I hesitate to call this an "upgrade" as much as an alteration in the handling of the car. Let me go into detail...

Pros:
-holy shit the GRIP!! It's literally mind-bending
-corner speed could demolish cars twice the price on the right roads
-the stance is utterly perfect with no spacers or lowering springs. love the concavity of the rear wheels
-cruising is smoother and car coasts slightly more
-less likely to fall into dips and potholes in the road because of the significantly wider tire patches

Cons:
-on-center steering feel is slightly rubbery/less precise compared to 8"/9" OEM stagger
-slightly more wheel chatter over rough pavement
-slower slalom. left to right and right to left transitions feel a bit more laborious
-more braking force required to slow the car down
-slightly less responsive throttle transitions/feel

For what I use my car for I'm very neutral regarding the changes... The pros and cons seem to cancel out for me because realistically only about 30% of my miles are "hard" miles and therefore the best pros aren't felt as often as the everyday cons. The wheels are heavier all around so the additional rotational inertia and un-sprung weight are felt. If you wanted to perfect this setup as much as possible you would need slightly different damping rates to compensate for the extra un-sprung weight. More torque to spin up those wheels would be nice too.

All of that being said, the higher cornering thresholds on this car take it LEVELS higher as far as performance and capability. As you warm up the tires and push the car harder you get more and more feel and feedback. At faster driving speeds I think there is just as much feel/precision as the stock setup if not more. The confidence I have pulling close to a lateral G is unmatched to the stock setup. You don't need to brake or accelerate as much because of the extra 10-15 mph of corner speed I can carry. So ultimately I can drive faster and safer and place the car exactly where I want it.

The best analogy is trying to play sports with heavier shoes on. The trade off for a slight loss in agility and extra energy required to move is the extra grip and stability and support you gain. All in all I'm excited to drive a "new" (to me) feeling car and once I burn through these tires I'll have to revaluate which setup will make sense for my daily driving. I hope this helps anyone considering a similar change on their car!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts