Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, my QV got rear-ended today and I'm hoping to get some opinions on my next steps. Luckily my wife and I are ok, and my 14 month baby looks normal (she didn't even wake up). The proper insurance claims have been filed, but being a Sunday, not much can be said yet, other than I am not the one at fault.

I am located in the California Bay Area and will be taking this this to the Walnut Creek dealer for repair. They don't know it's on the way, the that's where the insurance company is taking it. To me it looks like the entire rear end will need to be replaced. I estimate the other car was coming in around 30 mph...so who knows what kind of unseen damage there is. I did smell something burning in the minutes after the crash. So I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. Anyone have experience with the Walnut Creek dealer? Car only has 1500 miles and no problems, so I haven't needed service of any kind.
2. Anyone have experience with extensive repairs? How did that go/how long did it take?
3. Has anyone ever been paid out for diminished value? I'll never be able to sell this car now.
4. This is financed. Assuming this will take a few weeks/months to fix, can I ask for the insurance to pay my monthly payments?
5. From reading some other stories on here about dealer network and poor availability of parts, is there a time limit to fix the car before I can push for them to total it?

6. Do I need a lawyer for this?

I'm sure more questions will come up in the coming days...This is the largest accident I have ever been a part of (and surely the most expensive), so I'm in uncharted territory. Thanks everyone in advance.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Oh man sorry. Thank God you, your wife and and especially the baby are fine. That said the damage doesn’t look crazy bad for 30mph. The Giulia is one of the safest cars around in crash tests but often that means the car crumples even worse to sacrifice itself for your safely by absorbing the force.

Best advice I could give you is to get it fixed and not get crazy about the plastic bumper matching the metal. Paint on plastic parts uses plasticizer additives to make the paint flexible on those plastic parts and it changes the mix. I’ve seen very very few cars of any type where there is a perfect match from the factory. It’s one of those things that once you see it, you see it everywhere. I say this because when you get your car repaired it’s human nature that after you get your car back your eye will be even more critical than before and it’ll drive you crazy.

I know every single brand new Rosso Comp Giulia I’ve seen seems to have some angle in bright light where the bumper caps look subtly different at the cut lines. Might be something with the Tricoats and or the metallic’s just being a bear to be consistent. Might just be the angle difference of the cutlines just give make the light bounce off at a slightly different angle. I’m not sure what red yours is but just my personal observation...

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
So sorry to hear!

I got into an accident 3.5hrs off the lot in my Ti. Based on my and others’ repair experience, be aware this could easily take 6 weeks to repair, and likely will. Parts supply has not been fast, and it seems stuff is getting shipped from Italy on an as-needed basis.

I’m sure you want to swing into action right away, but if you can take a day to review repair options, it could save you headaches down the road. So many dealers just don’t know what they’re doing yet, you are probably better off at a collision repair place with some high end car expertise, even if not particular to Alfa.

There have been a couple of CA QV accidents on the forum; I’m sure they’ll chime in with more specific suggestions. Again, my only tip is rather than drop the car at the dealer first thing in the AM, do some inquiring after optional repair places.

Reactions: Noale_RF

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
Assuming you were rear ended (not side swiped) the other driver hit you at a very modest speed, like 3-5 MPH. It looks like the trunk lid and the rear plastics will all need replacing but unlikely that anything structural is broken or bent. Make certain that the repair shop checks for any damage to the exhaust pipe, which can telegraph far forward into the car.

Did the accident happen in Palo Alto (looks like it from your picture)?

A 30 MPH impact would likely total any vehicle.

The impact likely pushed some plastic bits into the muffler, causing the burning smell.

Giulia got the highest safety rating of any vehicle ever tested by the European agency as-of May 2016. However, that is a rating of how well the vehicle protects the occupants, not how well the vehicle protects itself. They do not assess repair costs in any of these tests.

·
Registered
317 Posts
...some of your questions are unanswered. From my experience (and I've had 5 bumpers replaced, one trunk lid and none my fault).
3) no (this is a detail seemingly lost on people. Although the car is restituted when repaired a report to Carfax usually occurs. It will knock down the trade in value later - Ask me how I know).
4) no (I've never heard of this but that's up to your insurance policy).
5) no (you can't total a car based on time to repair. You also can't force a lemon law recall unless the dealer has had the car for more than 30 days I think. Accident repairs don't usually count.
6) it depends on how everything goes. Hopefully you have (or the police were called and they have) the other driver's contact info, license # etc.

BTW state laws vary and I am ignorant of CA law. Investigating your rights will make your life easier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry about your accident, but good that everyone is physically okay. Emotionally, it will be a trying time as it is a slow process to get it repaired. The repair shop has to do a estimate of damage repair costs, then the insurance company will send an adjuster to review it. This all happens before parts are ordered. Given everyone's experience with timing of parts, you should check your policy for how long they pay for a rental car. Many policies limit it to 30 days.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your experience.

Ray

·
Registered
691 Posts
First and foremost, glad everyone is OK. That's the most important.

Now, DO NOT TAKE IT to Walnut Creek. A simple google review tells you they are not suited to repair your Alfa. As another poster suggested, find a higher end body shop that has experience on exotics.

Reactions: Noale_RF

·
Registered
153 Posts
My QV was hit at the rear driver side corner which made the car spun around and hit the curb very hard with the rear wheel. Long story short both rear wheels and tires needed replacement as well as rear bumper, a couple of suspension pieces and rear diffuser Total $10K in damages. I have the tri coat red and was extremely concerned that not only the paint would not match but the car would never drive the same. It took 3 months for the repair to be completed as parts were not easily available. However, the paint match perfectly and the added bonus is that the rear bumper, which used to be just a tiny bit darker than the rest of the car, now matches perfectly. Oh yes it drives as nothing happened. The local Alfa dealer did the job.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
First, as noted above, you may get the car repaired anywhere, not just where your or the other party’s insurance company want it repaired. You want to be at a high end shop, preferably Lexus/MB/Maserati etc.

Dimination of value is something everyone talks about but very few people get. I got a check from USAA when they customer hit my Honda, and one from Nationwide when their client nailed my MINI, but both were over 10 years ago.

Why should your insurer make payments? Your insurance is to protect you in the case of an accident and then help you repair your vehicle. No insurer in their right mind would do this, it would almost give people an incentive to have their car damaged in a way that doesn’t reflect on their cost of insurance (Act of God claims, for instance). If you failed to elect rental coverage, that’s your choice. Also, note that most rental coverage is good for only 30 days! (Sorry, those are the facts)

Totaling the car is based solely upon the cost to repair vs current value. Careful what you wish for if you don’t have some form of GAP insurance, cause Alfa resale’s are currently, er, harsh. The insurance company might total a car if the storage costs for a year to get parts got high enough, but...

Lawyer, well, that may depend. Do you have “good” insurance? Does the person that hit you? Anything you agree to with your insurance company may be an error if you intend to lawyer up, best decide early.

Finally, REPLACE THE CHILD SAFETY SEAT, DO NOT REUSE IT! Once the seat has been in any accident, it needs to be scraped.

Reactions: Chipshot and Bender

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Awe crap! Sorry to hear this but glad your are all OK. A safe following distance is the responsibility of the driver behind. You are not at fault and should not have to pay. Be patient and stick to your guns. Do not take the first offer and hold out 3 times back and forth. Get a good shop to do it and brace yourself for the wait. I am super glad I still have my Miata. I will use it again to get my drivers front tire replaced after another bubble and as a get around car. Peanuts compared to your ordeal. Hug the baby an extra time and every time you get tired of waiting. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Diminished value would come from the one who hit you, IIRC. So sorry to hear about the car, but it did it's job and protected you and your family!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Called the local dealer and am going with the body shop they send all their cars to. So this place has as least worked on Alfas before. Getting a Chrysler 300 rental right now. From one FCA car to another. The rental isn't a big deal for me, as the QV is my weekend car. But if someone else is paying for it, why not yea?

Gotta go to the tow yard to sign the release for the car to be towed. Since I was not at fault, my insurance isn't handling this claim and I'm going thru the other party's plan. I've don't have experience going thru someone else's insurance. So it'll be interesting to see how they will try to cheapen the repair.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. Called the local dealer and am going with the body shop they send all their cars to. So this place has as least worked on Alfas before. Getting a Chrysler 300 rental right now. From one FCA car to another. The rental isn't a big deal for me, as the QV is my weekend car. But if someone else is paying for it, why not yea?

Gotta go to the tow yard to sign the release for the car to be towed. Since I was not at fault, my insurance isn't handling this claim and I'm going thru the other party's plan. I've don't have experience going thru someone else's insurance. So it'll be interesting to see how they will try to cheapen the repair.
You should still notify your insurance company...their claims and legal department are supposed to work on your behalf in achieving the best settlement. You should not have to accept anything from the other insurance company less than what you desire. If you start getting the run around consult an attorney. Start talking about pain and suffering with three passengers and that will get their attention.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
You should still notify your insurance company...their claims and legal department are supposed to work on your behalf in achieving the best settlement. You should not have to accept anything from the other insurance company less than what you desire. If you start getting the run around consult an attorney. Start talking about pain and suffering with three passengers and that will get their attention.
^^^^^^THIS. You should never be talking to the other driver's insurance company. State Farm pays for my repairs then extracts the cost from the other company (assuming the other driver was at fault). That other company has no motivation to treat you properly and probably will not.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
What the Last 2 posters said

you are better served notifying your insurance company of what happened and providing them with the accident report...
in fact...and this is just me...I have always gone through MY insurance when involved in an accident and let THEM (insurance company) subjugate with the other company....
rather deal with my guys and get it fixed ASAP than potentially argue with the person who hit me insurance....

·
Registered
94 Posts
It has been my experience that your insurance company will pay for repairs and represent your interests. Your insurance company will then attempt to get payment from the other drivers insurance company.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again everyone. Took the advice to put the claim thru my own insurance instead of dealing with the other party's. We'll see what the adjuster says in the next day or two.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You know how every cloud has a silver lining. I was thinking. Depending on how much they value that rear diffuser you could actually take that cash and pay the extra and add the Carbon Fiber Diffuser. Just thinking

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry that happened to you glad everyone is okay. It looks mostly cosmetic but you never know until you get into it. It may seem to preform different after, make new sounds.... most of the time it’s in your mind knowing what happened you are looking for that. It’s like riding around all the time with the window up ac on then one day you roll down the window and hear all kinds of things. Only it’s normal it was always there you never notice before.

This will not be a easy fix no doubt it will be inconvenient and a hassle. But after it's done you will be surprised how fast that memory fades. It’s always best if it never happened but somethings we can’t control. Pick the best repair shop you can follow up when you can visit a couple times during the process and if i can be of any service at all just let me know. Hang in there the Alfa family is with you.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts