Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved here after living in Hawaii for 12 years, so not used to colder weather at all.

Apparently it gets down near 40 in the morning on a semi regular basis in the winter.

I’m not sure if these summer tires are safe at all through the winter?

If I need different tires, has anyone bought an extra set of Technos? Curious about the price. Or any other alternative wheels for the QV? I’ve only seen winter wheels for the regular models on threads here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is actually a good question as I will be looking into the same issue when I get my QV. I personally favor the Technos over the 5 holes. So I would probably grab another set and throw some winter tires All seasons on them.

Jason I think for Vegas witch has similar weather as Sacramento you may be good as it warms up during the day, but it is still something to consider. If we lived on the east coast winter tires would be a must. Take a look into the Pilot Sport AS 3+. I have run these on my performance cars for the "winter season" here (Volvo R, Saab Viggen and ISF) and then I swap to summers when it gets warmer.

Reactions: Jason McInnis

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
What are your high temps in winter and how far do you have to drive? You can get by with summers if you are careful and give your tires time to warm up. You will feel flat spots when you first get moving in the morning. Just be careful watch your psi and warm them up easily. Add extra braking distance and be conservative in sweepers and the wet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I haven't been here in the winter, I'm not positive about the temps. But my understanding is that the lows in the early morning are 30s-40s, but once the sun comes up, it's 50-60. So I realize the only time it's potentially an issue is ~2am-7am. But I leave for work around 6, so I'm just wondering if it's necessary/worth the cost to switch to other tires/wheels for a few months. I don't want to waste money, but I really don't want to be in an accident because I didn't switch to more appropriate tires.

And I figure if I switch tires, I should get a dedicated set of wheels vs. switching tires a few times a year. I'm not seeing any aftermarket wheels (reasonably priced, not HREs) for the Quad, only the regular models. And I haven't been able to get a price for a set of Technos from the dealer yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What are your high temps in winter and how far do you have to drive? You can get by with summers if you are careful and give your tires time to warm up. You will feel flat spots when you first get moving in the morning. Just be careful watch your psi and warm them up easily. Add extra braking distance and be conservative in sweepers and the wet.
John

You make a good point.. This was /is how i normally operate but the last 2 "winters" we have gotten massive amounts of Rain in the region and colder weather so the max summer tires i have on my cars took some time to "work in" so i just swapped them out. My Supra was not fun driving on Pzero's in the cold lol. I would "assume" Vegas doesn't get the weather we get close to the foothills of Nor Cal so Jason you could get away with just warming the tires up a bit before you start your commute in the Vegas area. Could save you some money over buying a whole set..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would you buy winter tires if you lived on the big island?
@lost1750GTV Absolutely not, as it only gets down into the 60s in Hawaii unless you are up in the mountain. I ran summer tires the whole time there.

Also, I wasn't suggesting winter tires, if you mean snow tires. I meant something other than these summer/track tires that specifically say not to use them below 45 degrees. The back end is **** slippery with this much power in the cold.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I’m not sure if these summer tires are safe at all through the winter?
You can run summer tires year around in Vegas. Just be a bit less aggressive on the pedal. The real issue is, when it rains -- the first 30m after a rain is the most dangerous as the roads are super super super slick.

·
Supporting Vendor
698 Posts
Not all summer tires are created equal with regards to cold weather. I switched to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as I wanted a tire that was a little more tolerant of cold than the OEM Pirelli Pzero Corsas.

So far I have found them to be OK in cold dry conditions. You definitely don't have the same grip as when they are warm but they are not scary or unpredictable either.

FYI I used a slightly wider 255/295 width combination and have been happy with that as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@revoze @Driven Thanks, nice to hear experience from people living here, that puts me more at ease.

@JoeCab Those tires look good, but I don't really want to go wider. Have you noticed any change to the handling from doing so?

BTW-I got a quote for a set of Tecnicos from my dealer. They sure are proud of them! $6156.72, wheels only. I'd go HRE or similar at that price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a Vegas local, just like revoze stated above. Your standard performance tire will do just fine. The road quality here is good and well maintained here so you should be happy.

wow $6156, I hope they are fully forged. There are so many options at that price.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am in Ohio, and I took the QV out this morning when the temps were around 40....the slightest throttle resulted in the back breaking free. Even after warm-up (10 miles) the tires were still slippery. If you have to drive daily in temps around 40...be safe and get a winter temp tire. I just wanted to exercise mine...since it has been sitting for a few weeks...you would have to be very careful...I did not test the brakes...my guess is there would be sliding too.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Tire warmers?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am in Ohio, and I took the QV out this morning when the temps were around 40....the slightest throttle resulted in the back breaking free. Even after warm-up (10 miles) the tires were still slippery. If you have to drive daily in temps around 40...be safe and get a winter temp tire. I just wanted to exercise mine...since it has been sitting for a few weeks...you would have to be very careful...I did not test the brakes...my guess is there would be sliding too.

@cbartell Thanks, that's what I'm finding too. Not sure what the best option is, as I can't find reasonable wheels for a QV, and not a fan of swapping tires on the same wheels.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Respect Mother Nature, and the Lady Giulia. You'll be fine.

·
Supporting Vendor
698 Posts
[MENTION=12681]BTW-I got a quote for a set of Tecnicos from my dealer. They sure are proud of them! $6156.72, wheels only. I'd go HRE or similar at that price.
We did a special buy on the Tecnicos in Italy. We sell them for $3,995 with free shipping if you want a set. I think I have one set left in silver. Yes they are fully forged, and super light for their sizes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We did a special buy on the Tecnicos in Italy. We sell them for $3,995 with free shipping if you want a set. I think I have one set left in silver. Yes they are fully forged, and super light for their sizes.

@JoeCab Darn, wish they were the dark color! I haven't seen a Trofeo QV with silver Tecnicos, not sure how it would look?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts