Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes but apart the errors he does about the naissance of the "Giorgio" project and Giulia, and the spin-off of Ferrari, Giulia Quadrifoglio ride is softer and not harsher than any of it's competitors, C63 AMG and M3 both have harsher ride or if you prefer worse ride quality than Giulia, Giulia Quadrifoglio follows the heritage of classic Alfas about steering feel and ride.
The interior is inspired by classic Alfa models, like the late 60's Giulia Sprint GT interior, and more specifically the 70's evolution with the round air vents.
The interior presents some innovations also, like the patented deco display, the first example of fusion between component and decoration in automotive industry, a fusion between display and surface and the best way to integrate an infotainment display so far, competitors like C-Class,3 series and A4 use an economic (cheap) solution the non integrated tablet display.
Another innovation are the interior plastics with a 20% hemp fibre and polypropylene base, 25% lighter than traditional materials.
The column mounted aluminum paddles is a much more sophisticated and expensive feature than the plastic steering wheel mounted paddles of the competition.
Alfa Romeo use natural leather, and on Lusso and Quadrifoglio models, premium quality pieno fiore (full grain) leather, and not any low quality eco leather like Mercedes Artico.
The "poro aperto" natural finish wood inserts are more contemporary than the glossy finish of some insert in cars like the 3 series and C Class.
I've seen some journalist criticise the use of harder plastics on the lower door panels, and present them as an example of the lower quality of Giulia interior, pity that the new A4, the new Q5 and the new Q7 have also harder plastics on the lower door panels, but you don't read any criticism about it in any review, which tell us a lot about the objectivity of great part of the press reviewing fit and finish, I think that germans brainwashed generations of consumers about their supposed quality, unfortunately most reviewers and journalists are not objective when they are reviewing quality, on the contrary they are full of prejudice when it comes reviewing an Italian car fit and finish. Anyway there's a reason about the choice of Alfa Romeo and Audi to have harder plastics on the lower door panels and has to do with durability and scratches.
e.g. who of the reviewers ever told you that Giulia is the only car in it's segment which has upholstery in all pillars.
There's no perfect car in fit and finish in this segment, all have their up and downs, but if you make a list with + and -, Giulia share the top spot with A4, C-Class is slightly behind, and 3-series and XE follow distanced.

p.s. I think that Alfa works very seriously this time, for example, one thing I criticised about Giulia's finish was the lack of lining on the door panel pockets( and the size of the door panel pockets) and the lack of lining on the
arm rest box(to be fair neither the competitors offer lined arm rest box), well about two and months ago I saw for the first time the new Stelvio and to my surprise, the door panel pockets were lined, the door panel pockets were larger, and the arm rest box was also lined.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This was a good review. I especially liked seeing the underneath side of the car, which I had not seen in any other reviews.

The one thing that I really dislike about my QV is the slow launch (delayed throttle) from a dead stop, and it is interesting that the reviewer in this video noticed the same thing. He didn't make a big deal out of it, but I'm pretty sure if kept the car for a couple of weeks and drove it as a daily driver in the city he would find this to be a lot more annoying. The car has other little things that I wish could be changed, but this is the one thing that I'm having a hard time living with.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Posted this video yesterday. Quite informative while also delivering a powerful emotional content. Big thumb up from me.

·
Registered
735 Posts
This was a good review. I especially liked seeing the underneath side of the car, which I had not seen in any other reviews.

The one thing that I really dislike about my QV is the slow launch (delayed throttle) from a dead stop, and it is interesting that the reviewer in this video noticed the same thing. He didn't make a big deal out of it, but I'm pretty sure if kept the car for a couple of weeks and drove it as a daily driver in the city he would find this to be a lot more annoying. The car has other little things that I wish could be changed, but this is the one thing that I'm having a hard time living with.
Did you try another Q just to rule out a problem with your engine/ecu?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Did you try another Q just to rule out a problem with your engine/ecu?
No, I have not had an opportunity to try another Q. As far as I know there is only one other Q in the Kansas City area. The dealer checked it out and determined that everything is ok. The pathetic launch from a dead stop that you see in the video is exactly what happens with my Q. It can be really annoying in city driving with a lot of starts at stop lights.

Just about every video that I have watched where the Q is raced against other cars such as the M3, the Q always has a slow start at the beginning of the race. The Q will always catch up because it has so much power, but the start is very slow and uninspiring. If I could change just one thing about the car, it would be the initial throttle response when starting from a stop. Everything else I can live with.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
At Rosso BMW used an integrated display in the 3 series in the E90/E92 series cars. Issue did become cost because not everyone had Nav/infotainment systems in cars so 2 different dash designs were made/used.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I took my QV to the dealer this week for its 10,000 mile service, and while I had it there I asked to do a test drive with the mechanic. I wanted to show him the extremely slow launch when I'm starting out from a dead stop. He immediately agreed that it didn't seem right and found it annoying, so he said he would test drive another (new) QV for comparison. I received a call today, and unfortunately the new QV launches exactly like mine, so this is an Alfa problem rather than a problem that is unique to my car.

I am still really pissed that an $80k Italian sport sedan can't even pull the hat off of my head when I'm starting out at a green light. In the first 1/2 second of acceleration my QV is routinely beat off of the line by just about any other car on the road. Econo boxes, pickups, SUV's, sport cars; all of them are quicker off of the line compared to my QV. Delivery trucks and 18 wheelers are the only vehicles that I can actually beat in the first 1/2 second of acceleration.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am still really pissed that an $80k Italian sport sedan can't even pull the hat off of my head when I'm starting out at a green light. In the first 1/2 second of acceleration my QV is routinely beat off of the line by just about any other car on the road. Econo boxes, pickups, SUV's, sport cars; all of them are quicker off of the line compared to my QV. Delivery trucks and 18 wheelers are the only vehicles that I can actually beat in the first 1/2 second of acceleration.
The car is certainly capable. How about the driver?

Put it into the race mode, hold the brake and do burnout starts out of every green light. Or — better yet — do it at the track.

Alternatively you may consider buying a Tesla if you are into such cheap thrills. Or — much better yet — FIAT 500e.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Put it into the race mode, hold the brake and do burnout starts out of every green light. Or — better yet — do it at the track.

Alternatively you may consider buying a Tesla if you are into such cheap thrills. Or — much better yet — FIAT 500e.
Your post was not constructive. No car is so perfect that it cannot be criticized.

·
Registered
691 Posts
No, I have not had an opportunity to try another Q. As far as I know there is only one other Q in the Kansas City area. The dealer checked it out and determined that everything is ok. The pathetic launch from a dead stop that you see in the video is exactly what happens with my Q. It can be really annoying in city driving with a lot of starts at stop lights.

Just about every video that I have watched where the Q is raced against other cars such as the M3, the Q always has a slow start at the beginning of the race. The Q will always catch up because it has so much power, but the start is very slow and uninspiring. If I could change just one thing about the car, it would be the initial throttle response when starting from a stop. Everything else I can live with.
Part of the issue is that most of the QV power is derived from the Turbo's which have to spool up to 2000+ RPM to become effective. Another issue may be in the tune. There are several aftermarket tune's available now, some specifically saying they've addressed the launch lag. Might give one a shot. A last issue is the fact the car is RWD. If you were able to apply that power at launch, you'd end up with mostly wheel spin. Those other vehicles that are 'beating' you at launch are AWD or FWD where wheel spin isn't a consideration.

I've not noticed a significant lag in my QV when in Dynamic or Race mode. When in N mode, I drive conservatively anyway, trying to increase MPG, so it's a non-issue then.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Your post was not constructive. No car is so perfect that it cannot be criticized.
You bet it was.

You criticize the car - I criticize your attitude.

Frankly, I somewhat hope that if Alfa reads this forum it ignores much of what people complain about here and does not try to change the product to please the complainers.

Alfa dares to re-enter US market with cars that are intended to be driven. With skill. Ferrari derived engine, bespoke chassis, weight savings and all that. And what do they get?

- Complaints about slow launch in full auto mode
- Complaints about uncomfortable seats
- Complaints about CarPlay support
- Complaints about HK audio
- Complaints about heating and AC
- Complaints about smell

BMW listened. And look what happened. Do we really want Alfa go down the same path? Do we need another “ultimate boring machine”?

There is no skill in mashing the accelerator and expecting to overtake everyone. It’s not what driving is about. It’s not what Alfa is about. I think.

****, how I miss the manual transmission...

Rant off.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You bet it was.

Frankly, I somewhat hope that if Alfa reads this forum it ignores much of what people complain about here and does not try to change the product to please the complainers.

Alfa dares to re-enter US market with cars that are intended to be driven. With skill. Ferrari derived engine, bespoke chassis, weight savings and all that. And what do they get?

- Complaints about smell

BMW listened. And look what happened. Do we really want Alfa go down the same path? Do we need another “ultimate boring machine”?

There is no skill in mashing the accelerator and expecting to overtake everyone. It’s not what driving is about. It’s not what Alfa is about. I think.

Rant off.
I’m not going to wade into the personal stuff but the car is not a drag racer and never intended to be. Mine seems fine if I mash the throttle in D or R mode, R mode not recommended doing that often unless you’re in a very straight spot with good pavement though. If straight line performance is end all be all the Demon is a big slice of awesome...

That said the list of complaints you complied are really just personal opinions; everyone is going to find seats comfortable/uncomfortable according to body type and general feel which is highly individualistic. The CarPlay thing though is not about a personal preference or feeling. If the sticker says CarPlay/Android Auto it should be available to the customer who paid for it. It isn’t very confidence inspiring that simply flashing software is a major hurdle when you have soooo many systems in the car governed by ECU’s that might one day need a critical update. I mean my QV is a twin turbo V6 with an electronically controlled ZF auto, ABS, stability control, traction control, electronic diff, eBrakes, electronically controlled dampers, adaptive cruise, collision warning/avoidance, lane departure warning and on and on. Just saying ECU updates should be foundational and not an afterthought with such a technologically laden vehicle...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for posting the video. Shows a different side and prespective. I enjoyed it, as stated showed some things that are not Morin these reviews.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You bet it was.

- Complaints about smell

Rant off.
Please don't take it so personally when people criticize the car. People are always going to have different opinions when it comes to cars, which is why there are many to choose from in the marketplace.

I must like my QV or I would have already sold it. But I am not going to change my opinion about the slow launch; it isn't acceptable for an $80k Italian sport sedan. BTW, the slow launch I am talking about is present in automatic AND manual mode. It doesn't matter which mode you are in. This is the first car I have ever owned with an electronic throttle, which is probably part of the reason I am somewhat dissatisfied. Cable throttles always provide an immediate response, but electronic throttles seem to have a mind of their own and are always questioning the drivers input.

I actually hope Alfa Romeo does read this forum because they need to understand how the car can be made better. There are a lot of easy things that they can do to make the car more appealing in a competitive market, and they would be crazy not to make the improvements that people are asking for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts