Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
So are there two of these crankcase pressure sensors? The code avnyc and a few others posted about earlier was just “crankcase pressure sensor” but the code Kuffs and I have is “crankcase pressure sensor b.” Or is just some separate issue with the sensor / sensor reading?

I looked around under the hood and found this sensor on the left side but nothing on the right. P04DB Crankcase ventilation system disconnected, FIX

· Registered
6,028 Posts
So are there two of these crankcase pressure sensors? The code avnyc and a few others posted about earlier was just “crankcase pressure sensor” but the code Kuffs and I have is “crankcase pressure sensor b.” Or is just some separate issue with the sensor / sensor reading?

I looked around under the hood and found this sensor on the left side but nothing on the right. P04DB Crankcase ventilation system disconnected, FIX
That's the sensor. When looking at the engine its on the left side. the piece sits on top of a "seat" for lack of a better word. IF that sensor isn't seated 100% correctly it throws the CEL and puts the car in limp-mode.

· Registered
121 Posts
So I left work and went to the parking garage where I got out my cheap Amazon scanner. Plugged it in and it was the P2C33/34 codes again. I saw the "clear codes" option and, knowing it wouldn't work because I don't have the SWG bypass device, I pushed that option. Codes cleared, CEL blinked then went off as I started the car, drove a little ways, put it in D and enjoyed a more entertaining drive home in that mode rather than being stuck in N .
Communication Device Telephony Gadget Audio equipment Mobile phone

Does that seem correct? Should I have been able to do that?

· Registered
2022 Giulia QV
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I was also able to clear the code the second time the CEL popped up as instructed by my service advisor. I didn't think I would be able to clear it either but it worked temporarily for some reason. I was able to drive in D mode for a little bit the next morning but the code went off again later that day.

· Registered
121 Posts
I was also able to clear the code the second time the CEL popped up as instructed by my service advisor. I didn't think I would be able to clear it either but it worked temporarily for some reason. I was able to drive in D mode for a little bit the next morning but the code went off again later that day.
I do expect it to go off again, but I didn’t think you could clear codes with an OBD scanner in Alfas after some point in 2019 or so. I thought it required the SWG bypass. Does it have to do with the type of code? Extent to which it is “cleared,” if there is such a spectrum?

· Registered
11 Posts
I was always able to clear my P2C33/34 code on my 2021 Stelvio QV even when it was listed as permanently stored. If I just kept pushing clear on my $15 Amazon OBD reader it would eventually clear. The problem is that it would come back. Sometimes in a week sometimes a month. As I wrote above after 125+ days Alfa just lemoned the car. No one ever figured out how to fix it. Many parts were replaced. Some guy was even “flown in” to investigate and he couldn’t figure it out either.

· Registered
121 Posts
I was always able to clear my P2C33/34 code on my 2021 Stelvio QV even when it was listed as permanently stored. If I just kept pushing clear on my $15 Amazon OBD reader it would eventually clear. The problem is that it would come back. Sometimes in a week sometimes a month. As I wrote above after 125+ days Alfa just lemoned the car. No one ever figured out how to fix it. Many parts were replaced. Some guy was even “flown in” to investigate and he couldn’t figure it out either.
If I eraseSo they are ordering a PCV valve or tube to replace first. They said that is the first thing to try for the P2C33 code then there is a much more complicated algorithm for the P2c34 code.
Sounds like a lot of vehicles from 2020 on are having this issue. Hope they figure it out. When I clear it, it comes back in one or 2 starts but seems to last longer when the dealer clears it (I’m sure past the SWG is more durable). Mine just goes to N so not a big deal as long as it is fixed before track days in the spring

· Registered
2022 Giulia QV
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'll try to find my paperwork but IIRC, first they changed the sensor itself, then PCV valve, then PCM, then wiring voltage checks or something then maybe the wiring harness but I'm not sure, then they gave up.
It seems like some people have had this resolved but your experience is definitely concerning. Any similar issues at all with your 2023?

· Registered
30 Posts
The tech working on my car last year said they'd seen this code combo several times and that they were always able to solve it, even if it took some effort. This time, they said they weren't quite sure how to proceed. I'm sure there's something lost in translation, but the change in messaging is not encouraging.

I think the people on here who had their problems resolved were getting a different crankcase pressure sensor code, not P2C33/P2C34. Prior to this thread I'd only ever seen 1-2 other people report this combination, and they were over on the Stelvio forum. One was Franiacob, whose story ended in buyback. I think the other may have had it fixed? Not sure. Then again, I thought mine was fixed last year, too, but here we are again.

I recall a similar progression of repairs to Franiacob - checked for a clogged tube (?), changed sensor, changed something with the plug, and then changed the PCM. Never got to the wiring harness last time.

To be honest I'm sort of comforted that this is turning out to be a more common issue - gives me a little hope they might pay more attention to it and find a fix (though based on service reputation that's probably misplaced).

· Registered
11 Posts
@graymatters I think we actually discussed this on the stelvio forum via PM right?

I'll also mention that at no time was my engine pulled for any repairs. One thing that complicated my repair was that when the tech went to replace the sensor itself (early in the repair saga) he had found that it had been moved to a different location in the engine but the repair manual had not been updated so it took them weeks to just find where the new sensor was located. Italian engineers would--no exaggeration--take several weeks to respond to even just 1 email. In other words, whatever shop algorithm they were using to fix my car was outdated. I wonder if this is why they were never able to solve the issue. At one point it sat for literally months with zero work because they did not know how to proceed. I can't chalk this up to "crappy techs" because the dealership was constantly in contact with Italy via probably 4+ STAR cases. Towards the end of my time with the car the RAM stepped in and just apologized and agreed to a buyback. I am VERY glad this is becoming more common because at some point Alfa will be forced to figure it out.

· Registered
11 Posts
Oh one last thing (I know, I'm long-winded): when my sensor WAS pulled the tech said there was "a lot" of moisture in the area. Always wondered if just a strong rain or strong puddle caused a short somewhere and this is why the issue never went away.

· Registered
11 Posts
It seems like some people have had this resolved but your experience is definitely concerning. Any similar issues at all with your 2023?
My 2023 is fine....so far. For my 2021, the problem popped up around ~4500 miles (right now Im at around 3000 with the new one). I drive 15,000 miles per year so "inactivity" is absolutely not a cause of my problem. Also, my battery was fine the whole way through so I dont think it was a low voltage issue.

· Registered
30 Posts
@graymatters I think we actually discussed this on the stelvio forum via PM right?
We did indeed!

Oh one last thing (I know, I'm long-winded): when my sensor WAS pulled the tech said there was "a lot" of moisture in the area. Always wondered if just a strong rain or strong puddle caused a short somewhere and this is why the issue never went away.
I wonder about that too. CEL first appeared during a downpour. Second one in a drizzle. Both during colder temps. Seasonal issue?

Hope your 2023 remains problem free. FWIW my dealer has two 2022 plus my 2021 with this issue at the moment.

· Registered
121 Posts
We did indeed!

I wonder about that too. CEL first appeared during a downpour. Second one in a drizzle. Both during colder temps. Seasonal issue?

Hope your 2023 remains problem free. FWIW my dealer has two 2022 plus my 2021 with this issue at the moment.
I really hope they figure this out. I don't want a new car. I love my seats and the green/white stitching across the dash, doors, etc. I like my setup. Wouldn't be the same.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts