Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking up a loaner car today as my new Giulia is still in the shop for a wiring harness replacement.
(Story for another thread)

I was admiring a QV that was in the shop also, (**** that is a beautiful ride!) could not help looking at the clover medallion on the fender, such nice quality! Since I was killing time waiting for my loaner, I walked over to parts to inquire what the cost would be for a set.

I was not surprised, but the young parts guy almost fell off his stool! $620 list for a set.

I told him if he thought that was expensive, to look up a set of Carbon Ceramic Rotors... :wink2:

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
And if I understand correctly, they are hand painted, then fired/baked, as an enamel coating.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It's weird, my last car was a 911 Turbo - a wonderful car in so many ways and of course, much more expensive.

And yet the Alfa feels so much more exotic on so many levels.
It’s funny but for some reason people seem to have a soft spot for Italian cars. I’ve had many German cars, Porsche and Audi’s, and people ignore them or seem to even resent them for some reason. People go out of their way to smile or engage you with the Alfa. I picked up a jack at Harbor Freight yesterday, **** box was too big to fit in the trunk and had to put it in the back seat but they have moving blankets for like $3 so no biggie. The guy in the store came out to help me and kept asking about the car. Three people who came out of the store then stopped me to ask about it. Then on the way out two guys pulling in gave a honk and big thumbs up. Maybe the red helps but people seem to love the thing...

About 80% of the time they ask about the “shamrocks” on the side and I tell them the story of poor Sivocci, the Ferrari connection and the diamond turned into the triangle as a tribute. I’m pretty much able to tell the story in under 45 seconds from all the practice retelling it... Also St. Patrick was Italian too, well Roman parent anyway, so it wouldn’t be the first Italian associated with a four leaf clover:D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"It’s funny but for some reason people seem to have a soft spot for Italian cars. I’ve had many German cars, Porsche and Audi’s, and people ignore them or seem to even resent them for some reason. People go out of their way to smile or engage you with the Alfa."

Get used to it...it is a daily occurrence....the uniqueness of the marque is what I think is the biggest draw...If you purchased this car..you are not a SHEEP !!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
"It’s funny but for some reason people seem to have a soft spot for Italian cars. I’ve had many German cars, Porsche and Audi’s, and people ignore them or seem to even resent them for some reason. People go out of their way to smile or engage you with the Alfa."

Get used to it...it is a daily occurrence....the uniqueness of the marque is what I think is the biggest draw...If you purchased this car..you are not a SHEEP !!
It’s funny but for some reason people seem to have a soft spot for Italian cars. I’ve had many German cars, Porsche and Audi’s, and people ignore them or seem to even resent them for some reason. People go out of their way to smile or engage you with the Alfa. I picked up a jack at Harbor Freight yesterday, **** box was too big to fit in the trunk and had to put it in the back seat but they have moving blankets for like $3 so no biggie. The guy in the store came out to help me and kept asking about the car. Three people who came out of the store then stopped me to ask about it. Then on the way out two guys pulling in gave a honk and big thumbs up. Maybe the red helps but people seem to love the thing...

About 80% of the time they ask about the “shamrocks” on the side and I tell them the story of poor Sivocci, the Ferrari connection and the diamond turned into the triangle as a tribute. I’m pretty much able to tell the story in under 45 seconds from all the practice retelling it... Also St. Patrick was Italian too, well Roman parent anyway, so it wouldn’t be the first Italian associated with a four leaf clover:D
So far nobody has asked "how do you afford this car" when I drive the Alfa, yet people would ask me on a weekly basis about how I afford a 10 year old Range Rover that was worth half the Alfa's msrp (on a good day) ... funny how that works, and it's not even German :wink2: instead, people ask how it drives, they bring up historic models, they ask which dealer, performance specs, etc ... I much prefer that line of discussion!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Diego is the KING OF CARBON FIBER !!!!! >:)

Reactions: Max

·
Supporting Vendor
698 Posts
And if I understand correctly, they are hand painted, then fired/baked, as an enamel coating.
The technique is called Cloisonné. The paint is basically pulverized glass made into a paste. Sometimes the pigments are opaque and other times they are semi-transparent which allows details of the metal substrate to show through.

Alfa Romeo has a long history of using this technique for badges, such as these which were used in the late 50s and early 60s.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Funny, I just got my car paint corrected and ceramic coated and my detailer remarked about the badge. Specifically, that the white paint isn't completely consistently covering the metal on the badge. After watching the video, this makes a lot more sense. I guess it adds a bit of sprezzatura and character--gotta love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Funny, I just got my car paint corrected and ceramic coated and my detailer remarked about the badge. Specifically, that the white paint isn't completely consistently covering the metal on the badge. After watching the video, this makes a lot more sense. I guess it adds a bit of sprezzatura and character--gotta love it!
Yup they’re made by hand... and perfectly imperfect as they should be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts