Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen non QV break in posts on this forum but haven't seen anything specific to the QV.

So far I've kept it in A for the first 200 miles, and now I'm doing N for the next 200, then was going to do D for the last 200; all while varying throttle (almost never above half ? ) and varying rpms (never above 5500).

Are there any other tips or suggestions?
Is the break in really over by 500-600 miles; I would have thought that it would have been higher in a performance car like this.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
From what I understand the QV has a break-in mode that’s in effect til 1000 miles, I’ve heard as far as up to 1500 and 2000, to reduce power output to help reduce excessive abuse while the engine is still new. Honestly as long as you’re not hard charging the redline every stoplight and avoid full throttle mash to the carpet you’ll probably be fine after 1000.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 500 did seem low to me.

Do I need to change the oil after the break in or one the recommendation reminder pops up?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the engine is already run in at the factory before delivery so it's good to go from day 1. Of course, other items might need to be more slowly broken in but the engine should be there. Although I don't believe everything dealers tell me, I did also note that the manual makes no mention of a break-in period for the QV, only for the 2.0L motor. So maybe there is some truth to this. In any case, I'm not worried about driving it hard periodically during the initial miles, I am in that camp when it comes to break-in.

·
Supporting Vendor
726 Posts
Strangely, there is no break-in recommendations for QV in the manual. There is for 2.0 TI engine, but not for Ferrari beast.
The break-in recommendation was in the early 2017 manuals but has since disappeared.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The break-in recommendation was in the early 2017 manuals but has since disappeared.
AMAZING! Thank you. Dealer said 500 but was planning on doing 1000 to be safe and this confirms it for me.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it pretty easy for the first 1000 miles in "D" and "N" and didn't mash it too much, it seems to have worked out fine ....
Yeah that sounds like what I'm going to do as well.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Reading the part that you should let your engine idle for 3-5mins after some demanding driving, wouldn't a turbo timer be beneficial in this case? I know from the past from the old RB26DET motors and other alike turbo motors, ppl would be installing a turbo timer for this reason, wonder if someone has done it to the QV yet?!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Reading the part that you should let your engine idle for 3-5mins after some demanding driving, wouldn't a turbo timer be beneficial in this case? I know from the past from the old RB26DET motors and other alike turbo motors, ppl would be installing a turbo timer for this reason, wonder if someone has done it to the QV yet?!
Methinks the turbo cool down recommendation is a relic of the 80s and AR is a little behind the times in some of their language in the manual (hence why the manual keeps getting updated - the most recent print version does not have this language). I can't imagine any turbo cars would pass modern EU emission standards if they were required to idle for 3-5 minutes (or even 30 seconds) before every shut down. Modern day turbo cars have an electric water pump that will circulate coolant through the turbo to cool it down if needed after the car is turned off. Not to mention modern synthetic oils are much less prone to coking. If you're driving hard under load where the turbos are getting a lot of use, just let the car cool by driving easy during the last few miles of your drive. If really, really hard like coming off of hot laps of an HPDE, then I'd say it's good to let it idle and cool for a few minutes. But generally unnecessary after normal driving.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but has anything changed for 2019 QVs? There’s nothing in the manual about a break in period, but the dealer told me the car limits boost automatically for the first 500 miles. He also mentioned that start/stop is disabled during this time period (haven’t tested that claim as I’m in the habit of switching it off whenever I start the car).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
In the "old days", before engines could be made with much closer tolerances than now, and before oils were as good as we have, the important thing was to bed the ring/cylinder package in properly, and if not done, then the engine would never later "break in." Plus, there were special break in oils to facilitate this mating of rings and cylinder walls. About the only thing a manufacture could control was the proper cross-hatching of the final cylinder honing. The way to facilitate this properly was to run the motor up in the RPM range, then coast, thus drawing oil up more into the rings with cylinder vacuum.

I don't know about how to break in our Alfa motors, except different engines may benefit by different methods to do so. I have heard that the way to make a motor make the best power was to run it hard from the git-go. Of course, there are all sorts of "old wives' tales" about motors, without much quantifiable data to prove them. For instance, the one about ten PSI of oil pressure per thousand RPM being adequate. Or too much oil flow will wash the lead right out of bearings.

I presume Ferrari has a lot of knowledge about what is best for my/our Quad motors, and of course, perhaps there is some concern about a new owner being unfamiliar and dangerous learning how to drive their cars.

When I bought my '18 Quad last fall, new, it had as I recall something like 80 miles on it. It may have been run hard when prospective buyers test drove it before I did. When I went out with the dealer rep, and was pretty easy with it, he remarked that every one else immediately put them into RACE mode, which I did not, telling him it wasn't my car yet.

So I have no idea how my Quad was "broke in", and all I can say is that with just over 7 K miles, it is fast and uses virtually no oil, changed early on by me. I recently spent a year, mostly full time, restoring my 1952 3/4 ton Army M37 Weapons Carrier, basically a pick up. I used the special oils and drove it per the old instructions to break-in the late 30's vintage 6 cy engine. I think it must have been right to do it per the Army instructions, as it too runs well, if slowly. By the way, I don't worry about hindering traffic, as I am careful to avoid that. Then too, I have a demilitarized air cooled M1919 30 cal Machine gun on the rear pedestal, and for car shows, put the ammo box one, and drape a belt of 30 cal linked ammo over it. To be truthful, though, I don't drive around with the gun on, too scary for people now days.

All the best, NAM VET

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up babying the car for the first 1000 miles. Was hard not to put my foot down but I'd waited long enough for the qv, I could wait a little longer. Even if it wasn't necessary, I'm going to have a long long time with the qv, so I played it safe.
Mine had 17 miles when I bought it

·
Registered
27 Posts
From what I understand the QV has a break-in mode that’s in effect til 1000 miles, I’ve heard as far as up to 1500 and 2000, to reduce power output to help reduce excessive abuse while the engine is still new. Honestly as long as you’re not hard charging the redline every stoplight and avoid full throttle mash to the carpet you’ll probably be fine after 1000.
Is this confirmed? Has anyone felt a noticeable power difference after 1000 miles?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I picked up mine with 100 miles on her. I took it easy for the first 1000 miles, then changed the oil. She's been running strong as ever without any issues.

*One thing I forgot to mention is to vary the revs - My Service Advisor mentioned to not let the car stay at one steady rev range consistently. I imagine he meant that specifically for highway driving.

·
Vendor
4,089 Posts
I ended up babying the car for the first 1000 miles. Was hard not to put my foot down but I'd waited long enough for the qv, I could wait a little longer. Even if it wasn't necessary, I'm going to have a long long time with the qv, so I played it safe.
Mine had 17 miles when I bought it
I find this logical despite most of the time with new engines not needing it much. Can't hurt the motor by any means for 1,000+ miles. I might even think about changing the oil around 5,000. I have seen in that mileage some have a pretty good amount of wear in metal, it subsided after the next oil change. Not that these metals will hurt the motor as they are suspended but as noted it is a little old thinking but not completely invalid. Enjoy the car now! ;)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Was up to Charlotte this morning, where new door electric switches were installed, had a right mirror go wonky, and the exotic and Alfa dealer there said there was some sort of recall, so fine now. While I was there, I asked the service rep about Quad oils, especially the SN+ new oils, and he said he could put in Motul or LubiMoly, if I wished. I said I have a long term service contract, and that if I ever had an engine failure, I was sure Alfa would do an oil analysis, to see what was in my oil. He told me for sure they do, and they have replaced two Quad motors, one taking a month to get approved. I asked what happened to them, and he mentioned that at full throttle high RPM, if you get the rear airborne or nearly so over a road hump, the ECU can't slow the revs fast enough to avoid damaging the motor. And that the two blown motors had been "treated badly." So while I was there, asked about the Mopar + oil, and told him to go ahead and do my first free oil and filter change, and he later told me that Alfa sends them the 0-40 Ultra Pennzoil for Quads, this not yet a + spec oil. So, this is what is in my 7500 mile motor now. I had changed the original oil at about 2 K miles at my son's place.

As soon as Pennzoil comes out with an 0-40 + oil, I['ll change to that.

NV

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.