Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call from Alfa telling me that after they checked my car, they can see my brake pads are fried.
Left the car there 1 week ago, and now they are telling me this. I was complaining about brake noise since day one when I bought the car. I have had some pad noise regularly after the car would warm up for 5 minutes.

At first they told me this is normal, and you need some time to let this noise pass. I should put some 1500 miles in it to let the pads settle (I have standard pads, not CCB)

I had a track day 2 weeks ago. Had the car on the track for about 1 hour. Pushed it very hard. I assumed that the brakes are going to be hurt a little. But i didn't think they will be totally gone after 40 minutes on the track. !

Anyone with this experience? These pads really die after just 1 hour on the track?? And did you have any brake noise in the first 1000 m. ?

If yes, then you should all opt for CCB if you plan to track your cars.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a QV with 750 miles.
The brakes have squealed since I picked her up but she seems to be getting better.

When I used to track my 1993 300ZX Twin Turbo, I used to go through a set of pad in a weekend - perhaps 8 30 minute sessions. My wheels would be black from brake dust - massive dust all over them.
I would be quite surprised that your pads are done after the relatively short session you did.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Roni, the Giulia uses a lot of traction control 'ESC'. The car can and will dab a single brake when it thinks things are ... dangerous. This is hard on the brakes and tires. It can over heat both the brakes and the tires. Your Quad has a Race Mode which will disable most of the traction control.

Ask to see the old pads. I bet they've turned white, are cracked and crumbling. Classic signs of over heated pads.

Are the tires several shades of blue around the edges? Are they worn excessively? Perhaps there chunking away? These are the signs of over heated tires.

The Giulias might have high performance tires and pads, but they are still street tires and street pads that don't do well on the track. Real racing tires and pads won't do well on the street. Part of track-prep is to swap out the tires and pads before and after the event. This usually means an extra set of wheels.

I'll probably never track my Giulia Ti. Maybe once just because. I have a dedicated racer, a 1973 Datsun 240z.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
We should look up the Brembo parts numbers and find some aftermarket sport and race pads. How did your rotors look? I swapped my stock Brembo metallic pads for posiquiet ceramics on my old 348. Was a great mod. Also applied generous antisqueal on top of the small shims to cover the whole pad back. Low noise, low dust, same grab on solid rotors. My 360 needs this mod now but not as badly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The brakes have squealed since I picked her up but she seems to be getting better.
Same here. It sometimes bugs me; mostly not. Hope it goes away though.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see stock pads worn down after a track day especially if you weren't in race mode.....
Next time you should probably consider dedicated track pads (more aggressive pads) and upgraded brake fluid
I doubt they are completely fried, but the dealer is probably being overly conservative.....

Did you take any videos of the track event?

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I just got a call from Alfa telling me that after they checked my car, they can see my brake pads are fried.
Left the car there 1 week ago, and now they are telling me this. I was complaining about brake noise since day one when I bought the car. I have had some pad noise regularly after the car would warm up for 5 minutes.

At first they told me this is normal, and you need some time to let this noise pass. I should put some 1500 miles in it to let the pads settle (I have standard pads, not CCB)

I had a track day 2 weeks ago. Had the car on the track for about 1 hour. Pushed it very hard. I assumed that the brakes are going to be hurt a little. But i didn't think they will be totally gone after 40 minutes on the track. !

Anyone with this experience? These pads really die after just 1 hour on the track?? And did you have any brake noise in the first 1000 m. ?

uhh I don't want to comment on your driving style at the track because I don't know you...but
I have been to the track twice with my Quad. 1 track was short with lots of transitions and the other was a combination.with a long run where you could get to 145/150 before an uphill right hand turn...was on for apprx 30 minutes on each (2 15 minute sessions) and the brakes performed wonderfully, in fact I was shocked, and I just turned 3700 miles on the car...brake pads and rotors are fine...no noise no issues in everyday driving....don't know what to tell you....maybe dealer is fibbing???:confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Now that's quite the predicament. At first when I was reading this I thought you just chewed through those pads considering an hour on the track, depending on which track, could chew through a set of pads real quick. But after reading the above comment, this is all very weird.

Other than the noise from the pads initially, were they feeling completely normal?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have been to the track twice with my Quad. 1 track was short with lots of transitions and the other was a combination.with a long run where you could get to 145/150 before an uphill right hand turn...was on for apprx 30 minutes on each (2 15 minute sessions) and the brakes performed wonderfully, in fact I was shocked
Ma i video dove sono?:grin2:

If driven with all the nannies on, it is possible to somewhat cook the brakes especially if the traction control came on often....... I don't think they should be totally fried like the dealer said.....

OP, take one of the front wheels off and take a pic of the brake pad , then post it in this thread and we will be able to assess how much wear you put on them..... and if you are being told the truth......

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Same here. It sometimes bugs me; mostly not. Hope it goes away though.
Brake squeal has two main causes:
1) They're cold.
2) They're vibrating.

High performance pads don't work well until they're warm and usually squeal while cold. One or two good stops should warm them up and make the squeal go away.
DO NOT TWO FOOT THE GIULIA

Sometimes pads just vibrate and chatter. You can take the pads out, apply anti-squeal compound and put the pads back in. Do both axles.

I have street performance pads (Porterfield R4-S) in both my work truck and my 4C. On cold damp mornings, my brakes talk to me until I warm them up, at which point I can feel them working better.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Dottore,
I do not own a GoPro or anything of the like....I know I know I'm technologically challenged...
I have to buy one and I promise I will have one before my next track day..

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Which tracks did you attend Professore?
Were you on race mode?
No brake fade?
Did you get loose at all?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guess it depends on what he means by 'fried'. Does he mean they are worn out, glazed/cooked, or developed stress/heat cracks? I doubt they would wear out in that short amount of time unless something is amiss, but I can see where hard use could cause one of the other problems. Might just be a bad batch. Just a thought, how many miles did it have when you bought it?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Love to hear you pros go at it. ;) As far as pics of pads goes, the dealer still has the car, no?

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,635 Posts
are you sure the dealer wasnt asking you to come back to his pad so he can fry you some chicken ?

i have had that before

·
Registered
808 Posts

uhh I don't want to comment on your driving style at the track because I don't know you...but
I have been to the track twice with my Quad. 1 track was short with lots of transitions and the other was a combination.with a long run where you could get to 145/150 before an uphill right hand turn...was on for apprx 30 minutes on each (2 15 minute sessions) and the brakes performed wonderfully, in fact I was shocked, and I just turned 3700 miles on the car...brake pads and rotors are fine...no noise no issues in everyday driving....don't know what to tell you....maybe dealer is fibbing???
First off I want to complement on how you worded your comment. A less professional and less nice person would have automatically assumed he was driving poorly. I think the guy has been through enough already possibly facing new brakes already.

My Giulia has CCB but I have tracked my car hard for three days and my brakes are in good shape. Tires have been the issue for me! I have never gone through more tires in my life and I have these last two weeks. But brakes and tires are closely related when tracking hard using any modes other than Race mode.

The first day I want tracking my car was stuck in natural mode because the dealer needed some parts they did not arrive in time. I wanted to track it and I did but could really feel the car inducing massive understeer which literally trashed my front tires in one day. I had about a prior week of driving spirited on some country roads but it wasn't a lot of where it was all done at the track. Did not like the Pirelli tires anyway the 60 hardness tires were way too soft I felt so it wasn't a big deal for me. So then bought a whole new set of tires really nice ones Michelin sport cup 2s.

Then I tracked for two days straight over 500 miles of track really hard at the very technical track that has a lot of elevations and off camber turns. Plus I had dynamic and race modes so I was having a little fun smoking the tires a bet going up some hills. The car has so much power it's hard to keep all the traction down even though I oversized the rear tires to 305 width.

With car being relatively new to me I I kept it in dynamic the first half of the first day but I was noticing the rear tires were going quickly. I thought about it and realized the car seemed to be fighting itself because I'm a pretty good driver and I was driving really hard and I could feel traction control fighting me. Even got some codes including my ATV (automatic traction vectoring) system was overheated. So I put it in race mode and everything loosened up and the car ran so much better and the tires were wearing a lot better. But I had trashed them so much the first half of the first day that by the end of the second day and after 500 miles of tracking they were gone in the rear. Fronts still have over half left.

So what I learned is if you are going to track your car very hard and you're a good enough driver put it in race mode and save tons of wear and tear on your car! But beware dynamic mode traction control will save you from spins so don't drive hard in race mode and less you're ready! If you're not there yet I'd suggest dynamic mode but don't drive it really hard because you're just going to wear out your brakes and tires.

If you want to see how hard I was driving my car you can look at some videos I posted yesterday. This Giulia QV car is a beast!
I am taking the car to the race shop tomorrow for new tires.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (300 hardness)
Ft 265/35/19 rear 26.3" tall (+.5")
Rear 305/30/19 26.3" tall (+.5")

I'm also having my race shop look at adding some negative camber which will also save your tires a lot and make the car much better in turns. I will share what I found out about adding negative camber.

So for the OP sorry to hear about your brakes I'd look at them myself if I were you. And if you need to buy new brakes at least you don't have to buy new rotors at least you don't have to buy carbon ceramic ones.

Also want to ask him did you do proper cooldown laps? It's critical to do a full cooldown lap and even more like drive around the parking lot or paddock very slowly before stopping when your brakes are smoking hot. If you stop and look at your braks and see any smoke at all you need to get a new car and start moving again.

It's looking like the CCB I got might be a good investment. I've heard things from people that have the car without them and said that it will be cheaper for me to switch them to the steel instead to do a brake job.But I think they are just guessing that. Does anybody know what a new CCB rotor costs?

I can say that my CCB we're are truly amazing. My friend in his Porsche Carrera S destroyed his front brakes in that weekend. Tracking very hard on any course can be very expensive with any heavy car like this. I also have a 4C that I track crazy hard but the consumables on that lightweight car are extremely reasonable.

·
Registered
473 Posts

I'm new to the idea of upsizing tires. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? My speedometer is off by about 3 mph at 80 mph (actually 77 mph), so the taller tire would definitely help with that.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
So what I learned is if you are going to track your car very hard and you're a good enough driver put it in race mode and save tons of wear and tear on your car!
I would also add that track insurance would be a good idea if you are going to be in race mode at a track where there is minimal room for error like Watkins Glen and Lime Rock..... you never know when those walls are going to jump in front of you......:wink2:

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Which tracks did you attend Professore?
Were you on race mode?
No brake fade?
Did you get loose at all?
I was at Monticello with a customer of mine who is a member, he wanted to drive a Quad...so I suggested a day at his "Club"...and there was a CCA event at NJMP on June 19th & 20th..I could only go on the 19th...
I was not in Race mode at either track as I did not feel comfortable yet with the car at full tilt...
Brakes were very good, no real fade, and the DSC would not let you really get loose....I will say that I did not navigate NJMP so well as it was a long time since I have been there and not having the proper line into corners and such...well lets just say the tires are not looking so good...thinking it's time to change before I go to the track again...
all in all she is very comfortable at the track, she really shines when she has room to run though...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First off I want to complement on how you worded your comment. A less professional and less nice person would have automatically assumed he was driving poorly. I think the guy has been through enough already possibly facing new brakes already.

My Giulia has CCB but I have tracked my car hard for three days and my brakes are in good shape. Tires have been the issue for me! I have never gone through more tires in my life and I have these last two weeks. But brakes and tires are closely related when tracking hard using any modes other than Race mode.

The first day I want tracking my car was stuck in natural mode because the dealer needed some parts they did not arrive in time. I wanted to track it and I did but could really feel the car inducing massive understeer which literally trashed my front tires in one day. I had about a prior week of driving spirited on some country roads but it wasn't a lot of where it was all done at the track. Did not like the Pirelli tires anyway the 60 hardness tires were way too soft I felt so it wasn't a big deal for me. So then bought a whole new set of tires really nice ones Michelin sport cup 2s.

Then I tracked for two days straight over 500 miles of track really hard at the very technical track that has a lot of elevations and off camber turns. Plus I had dynamic and race modes so I was having a little fun smoking the tires a bet going up some hills. The car has so much power it's hard to keep all the traction down even though I oversized the rear tires to 305 width.

With car being relatively new to me I I kept it in dynamic the first half of the first day but I was noticing the rear tires were going quickly. I thought about it and realized the car seemed to be fighting itself because I'm a pretty good driver and I was driving really hard and I could feel traction control fighting me. Even got some codes including my ATV (automatic traction vectoring) system was overheated. So I put it in race mode and everything loosened up and the car ran so much better and the tires were wearing a lot better. But I had trashed them so much the first half of the first day that by the end of the second day and after 500 miles of tracking they were gone in the rear. Fronts still have over half left.

So what I learned is if you are going to track your car very hard and you're a good enough driver put it in race mode and save tons of wear and tear on your car! But beware dynamic mode traction control will save you from spins so don't drive hard in race mode and less you're ready! If you're not there yet I'd suggest dynamic mode but don't drive it really hard because you're just going to wear out your brakes and tires.

If you want to see how hard I was driving my car you can look at some videos I posted yesterday. This Giulia QV car is a beast!

I'm also having my race shop look at adding some negative camber which will also save your tires a lot and make the car much better in turns. I will share what I found out about adding negative camber.

So for the OP sorry to hear about your brakes I'd look at them myself if I were you. And if you need to buy new brakes at least you don't have to buy new rotors at least you don't have to buy carbon ceramic ones.

Also want to ask him did you do proper cooldown laps? It's critical to do a full cooldown lap and even more like drive around the parking lot or paddock very slowly before stopping when your brakes are smoking hot. If you stop and look at your braks and see any smoke at all you need to get a new car and start moving again.

It's looking like the CCB I got might be a good investment. I've heard things from people that have the car without them and said that it will be cheaper for me to switch them to the steel instead to do a brake job.But I think they are just guessing that. Does anybody know what a new CCB rotor costs?

I can say that my CCB we're are truly amazing. My friend in his Porsche Carrera S destroyed his front brakes in that weekend. Tracking very hard on any course can be very expensive with any heavy car like this. I also have a 4C that I track crazy hard but the consumables on that lightweight car are extremely reasonable.

------------------------
Hey, thanks for all the feedback.

Well as you all notice I am new to race driving. It was my first track use. Prior to this, when I bought the car, I did a proper warm up period. First 1000 Miles letting the car settle and break in.
Once I felt I was ready and with 2000KM on the car, I went to a track event, a Porsche day in Valencia as I live in Spain.
It was a great day I had a chance to try a few Porsche's I had a Boxster last year, so was a good experience. And I took full advantage of the QV on that day.

I was following a 911.2 C2S with a professional driver. I was trying to catch up with him, wasn't easy as it was my first time ever on a track.

I had the car in Dynamic mode the whole time, as I knew i was not ready for Race mode.

Was pushing the car very hard, (as much as I could feel) in total I did about 40-60 minutes on the track. I didn't give much cooling time in between to the brakes.

I did make one stupid mistake after the track day ( I didn't know until later on when they told me it was stupid). Just before leaving to take the car on the high for a 200 mile drive back home, I put cold water on the brakes to cool them down. Attached the video.

I did this on all four wheels. So i think that might have had some influance as well.

Yet i find it strange that the service is telling me the brakes are dead. I drove the car for additional 2 more week, and apart from squeaking noise once they warmed up, they just function well.
Someone told me that what could happened is the "crystallization" of the pads. SO maybe that is the case.

Either way, Alfa told me they will change all pads (all 4 wheels) for 750$ including parts and labor. So I think that is a good price.

Now lets just see what exactly they will do when I go pick up the car. Also I hope I can have a look at the old pads to see what was the issue there.

For me the main point that got me pissed was.

The first week of using the car ( my car was new). I was hearing squeaking noise from the pads, and when I told Alfa they said this is normal for new pads and will pass after the first 1000 miles.

So I waited, and whala nothing happened, the noise was the same as day one, and the track didn't change anything, the noise before and after the track was the same. This annoying squeak just as you are about to stop the car in the low speeds.

So i thought something was wrong from day one, I was thinking maybe pads are not "sitting" good on the calipers or something else,, who knows. That's the reason I went to Alfa at first place.

Then they just used the whole "track day" story just to tell me I killed the pads in 1 hour on the track.. that sounded strange to me..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts