Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just joined the forum as considering the QV as my next car - have a little one on the way for the first time and so my beloved F Type will have to make way for something with back seats, but want something that's still a decent drive when it's just me in the car.

Is the QV a realistic option as the main / only family car? Other half is currently carless and we don't really have the driveway space to go to two but a bit concerned the QV would be a little too small especially when going on holiday to visit the parents once we're fitting in prams / suitcases etc, the boot opening in particular looks like it could be a pain?

Has anyone run one as their only car? Presume it's fine all year round from a driving perspective too provided you stick some decent winter tyres on it!

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
You get snow where you live? I forget which year they added folded rear seats however it's very realistic. If temps get below 55f, you'll need winter tire setup for sure. Baby seats fit fine (front facing and rear facing) you just need to look for compact ones. As long as you're not over 6ft in height you'll be fine with a baby seat behind you. A few things to consider would be... Since it will be your only car, is your wife ok with 505hp, and another is if you think you can fit your suitcases in the trunk.

We have a QV stelvio my wife drives as a daily and no issues. It was recently in for general things so we had both baby seats in the giulia Ti for a week. No issues at all. I can imagine however, packing a stroller in a sedan will eventually piss off both of you. Small trade off if it checks all the other boxes. SUVs are easier if you have babies, strollers, etc. Perhaps good compromise would be a stelvio qv. Give it a test drive, you will not be disappointed. You can always lower it another inch to get more of a car feel bit it's almost there anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You get snow where you live? I forget which year they added folded rear seats however it's very realistic. If temps get below 55f, you'll need winter tire setup for sure. Baby seats fit fine (front facing and rear facing) you just need to look for compact ones. As long as you're not over 6ft in height you'll be fine with a baby seat behind you. A few things to consider would be... Since it will be your only car, is your wife ok with 505hp, and another is if you think you can fit your suitcases in the trunk.

We have a QV stelvio my wife drives as a daily and no issues. It was recently in for general things so we had both baby seats in the giulia Ti for a week. No issues at all. I can imagine however, packing a stroller in a sedan will eventually piss off both of you. Small trade off if it checks all the other boxes. SUVs are easier if you have babies, strollers, etc. Perhaps good compromise would be a stelvio qv. Give it a test drive, you will not be disappointed. You can always lower it another inch to get more of a car feel bit it's almost there anyway.
South of the UK so maybe a week a year - nothing proper or that anyone would call real snow but we're relatively rural so roads aren't always gritted. How is the Stelvio? It does seem like it would be the best of both worlds but worried it would be too "wobbly" when going for a solo drive round my local country roads...

We may end up getting a little run around for her but this will definitely be the main / biggest car hence the concern on space. Maybe I should take some suitcases with me to the dealership!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love my Giulia but with you having a baby on the way do me a favor and buy the AMG E63 Wagon!
Haha they are tempting - I've also given some thought to one of those or an RS6 / M5 but they're obviously a wee bit more expensive than a QV and also that much larger that I worry it'll be too much of a jump for me to enjoy them. I'm sure the power is hilarious but I still want something you can have fun in the corners with.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The Giulia QV will get you by with no problems, as I sometimes have my little one in the back and she loves driving in it! The Stelvio QV will obviously offer a lot more cargo room and just easier to get stuff in and out, including your baby, so that's a nice option as well, can't go wrong with either or, same engines, same fun! The Stelvio is also AWD so you may feel safer driving it to the max especially in wet conditions so that may be a factor to consider as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I live in the northeast and use my QV as a daily.

I have twin boys who are now two and half and I do pick ups and drop offs in the QV ever since they were rear facing in the infant car seats.

They are are now in convertible car seats and forward facing, no issues and they love to hear "Bella" go vroom vroom.

Obviously I have a set of dedicated winter and summer tires .

Edit: For the really messy / snowy stuff or vacation we tend to take my wife SQ5 due to the sheer volume of crap that's needed to go anywhere. For anything around town, the QV is pretty great.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
456 Posts
My Giulia QV is my daily driver with 2 kids in car seats. While yes it works, you'd be hard pressed to fit a double stroller plus luggage etc into the back of it.

For daily driving and stuff with the kids, grocery shopping, day trips, etc its great, but the trunk isn't huge and it is a small car inside. When we are going somewhere that we need the stroller and so on we take my wife's GLE. If I didn't have that option I probably would have went for the Stelvio QV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rogue Leader / chaiguy both of you kind of confirming my suspicion that it would make a great daily driver round town and weekend toy that you can fit the kids in - but for the big family holidays etc you're going to need either something like the Stelvio or something the next size up ala M5/RS6.

Thanks all for your help though - reckon I need to test drive both QVs and see how I feel about the Stelvio...and then potentially persuade the other half that what she really wants isn't a small run around but a big tank so I can get the Giulia haha.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
814 Posts
Practicality is for weenies. Get the GTAm. Our parents (and some members) didn't have seatbelts growing up, and your kids don't need them either!

One of my neighbors just picked up a Stelvio QV and loves it. There have been some pretty cool builds on here too. I forget who, but one of the members regularly tracks his. Having a (2.0L) Giulia, I'd stick with that but it's rare that I drive anywhere with our kids. That's what the mommy missile is for.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks all for your help though - reckon I need to test drive both QVs and see how I feel about the Stelvio...and then potentially persuade the other half that what she really wants isn't a small run around but a big tank so I can get the Giulia haha.
The SQV does not compromise any of the driving experience that you get from the GQV, with the exception of the SQV stock ride height making it feel a little “taller” through corners (proper lowering completely eliminates this and unlocks a whole new level of infatuation). No body roll and stilt like feeling you get on some of the heavier SUVs… I was in a similar situation when searching for my QV being that I was a first time parent and wanted to be able to pack the whole gang in and go, but still take it out on the weekends and have fun. TBH you can’t make mistake either way lol

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
259 Posts
The SQV does not compromise any of the driving experience that you get from the GQV, with the exception of the SQV stock ride height making it feel a little “taller” through corners (proper lowering completely eliminates this and unlocks a whole new level of infatuation). No body roll and stilt like feeling you get on some of the heavier SUVs… I was in a similar situation when searching for my QV being that I was a first time parent and wanted to be able to pack the whole gang in and go, but still take it out the weekends and have fun. TBH you can’t make mistake either way lol

View attachment 119247
Yours looks so sweet! Matte wrap?

Reactions: dwroman55

·
Registered
2018 Q4 White/Black, Performance Pkg., Leather Pkg., 35W Xenon, Static Assist, Sunroof, Navigation
227 Posts
Check out this video of the Stelvio QV, and see if you think it is, "wobbly."

·
Registered
2018 Q4 White/Black, Performance Pkg., Leather Pkg., 35W Xenon, Static Assist, Sunroof, Navigation
227 Posts
I'm sorry. I posted the Giulia QV... Oops!
Here is the Stelvio QV...

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,617 Posts
I think the issue will be a stroller. Maybe the sqv better than the gqv. But if you can find a stroller that fits then I'd get the gqv

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sorry. I posted the Giulia QV... Oops!
Here is the Stelvio QV...
Yes when you show it like that...that's not like the SUVs I've had the misfortune of driving before!

Thanks for the help all, going to test drive an SQV next week to see what I think. The other slightly left field option someone suggested is a C63s Estate as it's kind of a halfway house between the two (if only they made a Giulia Estate!) - similar power and acceleration, has the practicalities of being estate but keeps the rear drive / car nature of the GQV so going to cross shop against that and a couple of others.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all,

Just joined the forum as considering the QV as my next car - have a little one on the way for the first time and so my beloved F Type will have to make way for something with back seats, but want something that's still a decent drive when it's just me in the car.

Is the QV a realistic option as the main / only family car? Other half is currently carless and we don't really have the driveway space to go to two but a bit concerned the QV would be a little too small especially when going on holiday to visit the parents once we're fitting in prams / suitcases etc, the boot opening in particular looks like it could be a pain?

Has anyone run one as their only car? Presume it's fine all year round from a driving perspective too provided you stick some decent winter tyres on it!

I can help with this. I have a 9 week old first baby, and now im very sad to say that im selling my qv, as much as I love it it doesn’t work great as a family car as it is just too small, and I have replaced it with a m5 comp.
which as you say is more expensive but it is a truely amazing car and I love it.

you can probably make do with the QV if you can find a small enough baby seat and be space conscious when packing.

That said, as soon as I got my baby seat and put it in, there was almost no room left for the front passenger because I had to move the seat so far forward, and the boot and back seat really just isn’t quite big enough for everything you need when going on a small holiday

1 - 20 of 23 Posts