Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear QV's lovers, here are my takes after 750 km with the car.

I have read a lot before taking the decision to buy the QV as I drove a Porsche for the last 12 years... Well, let me be clear on this one straight away: I am more thrilled to drive the QV than a 991. For me there is no comparison. The feeling of the QV is really unique. Unique! I agree with all the test drives Ihave read. The power, steering, brakes, handling, tyres, seating are all very well described in these test drives and they are very, very correct. All are 100% positive and it is right they are so.

What is really a blast in the QV is the engine which delivers instant power at the very second one requires for it. It is incredible. The gearbox isfantastic, quick and precise. Then, the seating position and ergonomics are absolutely fantastic. The seating is perfect and the carbon seats offer a supreme feeling apart from the fact that they are a piece of art in their finishing. I read much criticism on the infotainment… And there I really do not agree… It is simple and straight to the point. Maybe the menus could be improved as one tends to forget where are the pages - which is where… but it works fine. And yes, the back camerais poor in quality… But the sound system - HK is really great. I prefer it without the surrounding eq but it is sufficiently rich in bass and has more than enough power (at least for me).

To those who are stillhesitating about getting a QV my advice is to run for it. You do not only get morefor what you pay but you will want to drive it all the time. All the time and I weight my words. :smile2:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree, I sold my 991 C4S as I couldn't stand it for daily use (too loud, can't hear phone, noisy Pirellis, missed shifts on the 7MT at least once a month, HVAC buttons sticking, linear but Blah steering feel with AWD).....It was a sculpturally beautiful car but the funny thing is that the performance stats on the QV beats it so it essentially makes the Porsche obsolete overnight except for track or weekend use. Of course there were dozens of people drooling over the limited edition 911R at our Cars and Coffee 2 weeks ago but I digress....

·
Registered
206 Posts

I have read a lot before taking the decision to buy the QV as I drove a Porsche for the last 12 years... Well, let me be clear on this one straight away: I am more thrilled to drive the QV than a 991. For me there is no comparison. The feeling of the QV is really unique. Unique! I agree with all the test drives Ihave read. The power, steering, brakes, handling, tyres, seating are all very well described in these test drives and they are very, very correct. All are 100% positive and it is right they are so.

What is really a blast in the QV is the engine which delivers instant power at the very second one requires for it. It is incredible. The gearbox isfantastic, quick and precise. Then, the seating position and ergonomics are absolutely fantastic. The seating is perfect and the carbon seats offer a supreme feeling apart from the fact that they are a piece of art in their finishing. I read much criticism on the infotainment… And there I really do not agree… It is simple and straight to the point. Maybe the menus could be improved as one tends to forget where are the pages - which is where… but it works fine. And yes, the back camerais poor in quality… But the sound system - HK is really great. I prefer it without the surrounding eq but it is sufficiently rich in bass and has more than enough power (at least for me).

To those who are stillhesitating about getting a QV my advice is to run for it. You do not only get morefor what you pay but you will want to drive it all the time. All the time and I weight my words. :smile2:
Totally agree. I came from a 997.2 TT cab. I was all set to get a 991S but I heard about the Alfa and test drove it a couple of times. I still love Porsches but unless you get a GT3 I feel like they have lost that feeling of being special. All the fun has been dialed out of them. The Alfa on the other hand . . .

I also like the way people interact with the car. Gas station and car wash attendants take pictures, people stop me in the parking lot, I get thumbs up everywhere, and all apparently very genuine and friendly. In the Porsche I've had people raise a digit just because I was driving it, but unfortunately it wasn't always a thumb. :|

People who know me are surprised to see me in a sedan. They need to drive the car to see why.

·
Registered
473 Posts

The QV is a great car, but I think you are a little bit "over the top" in your praise. Here is where I have a different opinion:

1.) If you are starting out from a dead stop the car does not deliver instant power. The first 1/2 second of acceleration is worse that any car I have ever owned.

2.) Most people think the transmission is fantastic, but I'm less enthusiastic about it. The rolling slow shift from 2 to 3 gear is annoying, and would never be an issue with a manual or dual clutch transmission.

3.) My biggest complaint about the infotainment system is twofold: First, the quick access menu that appears at the bottom of the screen when you pull back on the big knob is absolutely stupid. They upgraded it so that you can display a longer list favorite channels, but how they did it is just plain stupid. Suppose you have 25 favorite channels; in order to switch to the 25th channel you have to scroll through the entire list. What they should have done is group the presets into groups of 6, where each pull downward on the big knob would display the next 6 favorite channels. Fairly quickly you would memorize which group one of your favorite channel is in, and you would just pull back on the big knob 4 or 5 times to quickly reach the 4th or 5th group of channels. Secondly, my other complaint about the infotainment system is that it does not have enough processing speed. Most of the time it is very slow in responding to an input with the knobs, and so you will often have to slow down and wait for the system to catch up.

4.) The HK system is not all that great. It's not horrible, but I would have gladly paid another $1 or $2k for a better system with a decent sized sub woofer and a dedicated amp.

Overall the QV is a fantastic car, but it is not a perfect car. For city driving I do not enjoy driving it very much because of the slow acceleration from a dead stop. But the car is absolutely amazing when it is driven at higher speeds on the highway. I continue to be amazed by how stable and secure it is at 100, 120, or 130 mph. I have only had quick pokes to those crazy high speeds, but I know for certain that the car could be driven in a sustained manner at those speeds without any problem. But unfortunately we do not have an autobahn in the U.S.

·
Registered
619 Posts
no question the qv is the best car I have ever owned....and I have had a bunch of good ones. I think the op is correct in all his assessment including the gearbox. the gear box is like slow and smooth when loafing around and fast and precise when paddle shifting while on the throttle. I prefer it to a dct for all the reasons including maintenance. the adulation and thumbs up are like no car I have ever owned. no one wants to acknowledge you in a Ferrari but they will camera phone the **** out of your car when it is parked. no one like Porsche drivers. the only porsches that get a nod are 356, long hood 911's and 930's.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Well i can’t believe it has been almost 4 years with my 2017 QV. Other than an initial fuel pump replacement in the initial year the only other issue i had was my battery leak all over the bottom of the trunk. Alfa sent it over to the body shop and gave me a new battery not bad since the battery was already 3 years old. I was ready for a fight (like i have to do with my X5M P whole different thread) but no my dealership was great and it is a Fiat /Alfa.

It has been a while since i posted but i have an old 2017 purchased new with CCM brakes and Technico wheels and the Sparco seats. Only mode was the Forza which is fun and added the AR lighting OEM.

We are still happy campers. Going in for year year 4 maintenance. Still happy after all these years.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Oh and the annual wheel barrel touch up because damn rocks get stuck between the big ass calipers with zero room with the CCMs. Now i probably understand why factory ships CCMs with teledial wheels. That is okay.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Welcome back @MINIME. It was really a long while since you posted last time. Hope everything is OK. Always good to know about a 4 year ownership with only two issues (oil pump and battery) and an overall happiness. It is definitively a Dream Car.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Welcome back @MINIME. It was really a long while since you posted last time. Hope everything is OK. Always good to know about a 4 year ownership with only two issues (oil pump and battery) and an overall happiness. It is definitively a Dream Car.
Just super busy. I have to say with that battery leak was weird. I didn’t even know about it until the Service Guy called and said Huh the battery leaked it damaged the paint but did not burn though the metal so that is intact. No arguing no hey what’s up let me talk to Alfa i was sooo ready for a battle. Nope they sent it to a great autobody free battery replacement (on a 3 year old battery). I go to a small Fiat/Alfa dealership and they lost one of their master techs but they seem to campaign the good ones (qutie the job for those with the skills). I wish i could say that i love my X5 M. The dealership is all bells whistles and bullshit and i hate them. Plus they have so many models it is tough to imagine there is any experts. Alfa man we LOVE that car. When ever we need to clear our minds and the exhaust we take it out and thank god i am still not in jail. I need to get a new set of tires so it is a little jumpy because of the bald tires but we are still very happy with the car. We have the 10 year warranty so that does give us a little comfort but we still smile with the car. I think because our expectations were so low because of the Lemon stories in the beginning we are still happy with i think ours was like the 70th qv to hit the states maybe less

1 - 10 of 10 Posts