Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My QV is currently in the shop (1 week) with the exact symptoms of TSB 18-001-18. I am constantly getting the adaptive headlamp failure warning (right hand turns only), and intermittent check engine (P008a -- low fuel pressure) will trigger and drop the car into limp mode (does not leave me stranded). Additionally, I sometimes get a dynamic mode error indicator on the dash.

This just started happening 3 weeks ago. No issues whatsoever with this car (except for the typical headlamp washer issue) until now. The car was taken to the dealership almost 2 weeks ago. I got an update yesterday... still unresolved. However, they do not want to replace the fuel pump because at the moment there is no p008a code present and the pump is running.

I explained to them that the pump fails when driving aggressively (I mean... this is a sports car, right?)... even with as much as 3/4 tank of fuel, but despite my coming in with the exact symptoms of this TSB (not knowing the TSB existed), they do not want to take my word about the p0008a error and limp mode. So they tried just the software update thinking that would solve everything. Needless to say, they did the update, took the car out and still have the headlight error in right turns (they cannot reproduce the p008a issue unless they run at least 60-80mph into a hard right hand corner... that's when it happens to me).

They are scratching their heads, and according to them... so is Alfa.

Why not just do EXACTLY as the TSB states and stop trying to do a part of it??

I love my car, and this is the first I have had seemingly unresolvable issues, but I would get rid of it in a heartbeat if they cannot fix it.

My car is a 2017 and has barely 12,000 miles on it, so it is well within the warranty period. My service advisor says buybacks are only for customers who bought new. Well, I bought mine used with **drurmroll** 813 miles on it for $81,000.00 (ALL options 'except' carbon racing seats), but they say even if they cannot fix it, I could not be part of the buyback program.

I beg to differ.

Federal lemon laws (if I understand correctly... someone who knows please feel free to chime in here) cover used vehicles "still under manufacturer warranty". If I have a warranty issue and Alfa cannot resolve the issue, they cannot stick me with the car whether it's used or new... and especially within 1 year old and 12,000 miles (from what I understand, again... help me out if you know otherwise). It would be insane to buy a car under manufacturer warranty (regardless of new or used), have a warranty issue that the manufacturer cannot even figure out, yet ... tough luck... you bought it used??

That can't be the way it works.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Hi,

I had responded to another thread regarding the above:

Lemon Law protection only applies to owner's who bought new (never before titled vehicles) not used cars. Although there are some States with certain exceptions. Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico and New York. You will have to check your local State lemon laws.

If you bought your car used, despite low mileage, you may not have the ability to have your car bought back under a lemon claim and you will just have to continue taking in your car for service during its bumper to bumper warranty period and hopefully get it fixed during this time.

Good luck man and hopefully they can fix the issue.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Lemon Law protection only applies to owner's who bought new (never before titled vehicles) not used cars.
Man... that's going to really suck if they cannot get to the bottom of things.

I could've sworn that I saw where 'Federal' lemon laws covered used as long as there was an express, written warranty (doesn't get anymore written than the manufacturer warranty)... even if your state only covered new vehicles.

My state only covers new, but again, I thought the Federal (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) covered used as well.

See this site and tell me your interpretation:

http://www.usalemonlawyer.com/federal/

Especially pay attention to the Breach of Warranty section

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All said...

I really hope Alfa can figure things out and fix it. I don't want to get rid of my car... Federal lemon laws or not.

Thanks for the good-luck wish!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Been There...Glad I Stuck it Out

@OP not sure if you saw my experience with my QV...mine was one of the first in country...
and with significantly less miles than yours my car was rendered inoperable other than limp mode.
It got to the point after back & forth, with no fix in sight, that Alfa offered to buy the car back or replace it. As a replacement was not an option at that time as there were ZERO QV in the US that were available and I was not going to wait I opted for buyback.
Just before I was to sign the papers and get my check, my son suggested changing dealers for service.
Alfa was agreeable and made all the arrangements. Needless to say car was fixed in 24 hours and as of today w/10k on the odo, numerous long distance road trips, multiple track days not a hiccup/issue. car has been perfect in all respects.
My car was in/out of the shop for apprx 1 month on/off. As at one point I refused to leave the car with them while they were "researching" the issue as it sat for over a week untouched.
My advice to you is make sure the dealer you are using are up to snuff. My selling dealer was a FIAT/Alfa dealer and you could tell that they were in over their heads. Just not equipped to handle the tech.
My current servicing dealer is a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealer and they have been a pleasure to deal with. I have sent some fellow board members to my dealer and they have been more than pleased.
I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted!
Regards
M

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My current servicing dealer is a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealer and they have been a pleasure to deal with. I have sent some fellow board members to my dealer and they have been more than pleased.
I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted!
Regards
M
This is the 2nd time I've heard that I need to get serviced at a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealer. We only have FIAT/Alfa dealers in SC. I take my F-cars and Maserati for service about 70miles just across the boarder to NC, but that Ferrari/Maserati dealership (Foreign Cars Italia) does not sell/service Alfa.

I hate to sound.... however I'm about to sound, but I'm a computer engineer and I tell ya my Fiat/Alfa dealership sure says some lame-brain stuff either a) just trying to pass me off, or b) they really think / believe some of the things they say from a technical standpoint. I know it's BS, whether intentional BS or not, but just let it slide... occasionally correcting them or letting them know (politely) that "I don't think so". Like when I insisted that they use my Mobile 1 European Formula 0w40 for an oil change and they told me that since it was not an approved oil I would probably get a viscosity error and go to limp mode :/ Then they trust to call me back after the oil change and say that all is fine and that the oil is not causing a viscosity warning. Give me a break.

Anyway, I would rather take my car to a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealership, especially right about now. I don't know where one is even remotely close to me though.

Is there a list somewhere of all the Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealers in the US?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
This is the 2nd time I've heard that I need to get serviced at a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealer. We only have FIAT/Alfa dealers in SC. I take my F-cars and Maserati for service about 70miles just across the boarder to NC, but that Ferrari/Maserati dealership (Foreign Cars Italia) does not sell/service Alfa.

I hate to sound.... however I'm about to sound, but I'm a computer engineer and I tell ya my Fiat/Alfa dealership sure says some lame-brain stuff either a) just trying to pass me off, or b) they really think / believe some of the things they say from a technical standpoint. I know it's BS, whether intentional BS or not, but just let it slide... occasionally correcting them or letting them know (politely) that "I don't think so". Like when I insisted that they use my Mobile 1 European Formula 0w40 for an oil change and they told me that since it was not an approved oil I would probably get a viscosity error and go to limp mode :/ Then they trust to call me back after the oil change and say that all is fine and that the oil is not causing a viscosity warning. Give me a break.

Anyway, I would rather take my car to a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealership, especially right about now. I don't know where one is even remotely close to me though.

Is there a list somewhere of all the Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealers in the US?
Don’t know where in SC you are, but we have 2 here in the Raleigh area.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never mind. I may be in luck.

I used to take my Maserati to Baker Motor Company in Charleston, SC (Maserati dealer), but stopped because they are actually farther from me than the shop across the border in NC. I did a search and it turns out they sell and service Alfa, but only as of two months ago.

I may give them a shot, as I just reached back out to the service manager there who was always so helpful with my weird QP Duo Select issues.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Don’t know where in SC you are, but we have 2 here in the Raleigh area.
I am in North East Columbia, just 70 miles from Charlotte. I will drive to Raleigh in a heartbeat if necessary, but let me check with the Maserati dealer here in Charleston now that I know they also sell and service Alfa.

In the meanwhile, can you give me the dealer names of the two in Raleigh?

Thanks!

and does @AlfaRomeoCares ever chime in to monitor these cases anymore?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I am in North East Columbia, just 70 miles from Charlotte. I will drive to Raleigh in a heartbeat if necessary, but let me check with the Maserati dealer here in Charleston now that I know they also sell and service Alfa.

Thanks!

Both are Alfa / Maserati dealers. Good luck!

https://www.johnsonalfaromeoofcary.com

https://www.alfaromeoraleigh.com

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
691 Posts
I can second both of Wingler's suggestions. Cory and Drew at Johnson Maserati have been great to deal with. And this past weekend, I met Jack, the GM for Alfa of Alfa of Raleigh, which is a Leith dealership (You have Leith in SC as well). I was thoroughly impressed with Leith's Alfa setup...very professional.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

Thanks!

What you need to do is have a Star Case opened for your car if that has not been done yet.
You are assigned a case# and a contact. That is how I started, then I escalated it to the Regional Manager here in NY. He was instrumental in getting things done, from trying to locate a new car, to the buyback phase, then to expediting the part overnight from Italy to getting my car to the new servicing dealer.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What you need to do is have a Star Case opened for your car if that has not been done yet.
You are assigned a case# and a contact. That is how I started, then I escalated it to the Regional Manager here in NY. He was instrumental in getting things done, from trying to locate a new car, to the buyback phase, then to expediting the part overnight from Italy to getting my car to the new servicing dealer.
Do I need to open it, or is something the dealer should/would have done? If the dealer has done this, do I simply find out from them the case number and who the case manager is and take it over from there?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry...it's Aberdeen which is right across the border above Dillon.
Ah. OK. Thanks again!

Since Stateline FIAT/Alfa is currently closed, I have sent the following message to AlfaRomeoCares via Twitter. I have gotten rapid response through that channel before. Let's see what I get this time. Here's what I just Tweeted to them, and get a load of the "sugar in the tank" remark:

"Hello. can you tell me if Stateline Alfa Romeo has opened a case# on my 2017 Quadrifoglio? My VIN is ZARFAEAV6H7535812 . I dropped my Giulia off at Stateline Alfa Romeo two weeks ago with adaptive headlight failure warnings and throttle errors (p0008a, low fuel pressure). Stateline Alfa said there happened to be a TSB about exactly those issues... TSB 18-001-18 .

I received a call from Stateline yesterday (only after I called to get an update) with the salutation "Mr. Gallman, can I put sugar in your tank?" I did not like that remark, but I was polite. Nevertheless, that sort of remark does not inspire confidence in this dealership's ability to resolve my issue. In fact, the service advisor told me the comment was made to express frustration when they have "these cars" that they cannot find the problem with. The last time I had an issue the car was there 3 weeks for a simple headlight washer cover replacement, so I do NOT want my car there for them to tear through if they don't know what they are doing! They are probably causing other issues.

I have recently learned that Baker Maserati in Charleston, SC now sells and services Alfa Romeo. I have had my Maserati serviced there and I think I will have better luck getting my Giulia Quadrifolio diagnosed and serviced at Alfa Romeo of Charleston, SC on Savannah highway.

If there is a case number opened for my car, I want my car transported to the Alfa Romeo dealership in Charleston, SC on Savannah highway. I am worried that Stateline Alfa Romeo is not capable and are possibly making things worse by taking shots in the dark.

Please contact me anytime between the hours of 6am and 7pm eastern time. Thank you."

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just received an "email" from the service advisor (after inquiring by email since they are closed), that the tech has found the issue and they are "waiting for the engineers" to offer a solution.

I have heard that before and quite frankly think it's just a tactic they use to buy time to scratch their heads.

I replied asking what the issue was since the issue was not stated in the email.

Let's see if the response seems likely, or if the response is "I have to ask the tech" (which will lead me to believe they have found out nothing), or if it's another lame-brained concoction of nonsense.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Do I need to open it, or is something the dealer should/would have done? If the dealer has done this, do I simply find out from them the case number and who the case manager is and take it over from there?

Thanks for your help.
They should have opened it up for you when they started to contact Alfa looking for tech assistance.
Otherwise you can contact Alfa-Cares directly 1-844-2532872.
My case was a bit unique I must admit because of the fact that I had a launch car for lack of a better word. So this escalated quickly, keep pushing on your end. Polite but firm, in the meantime search for another service option and inform Alfa-Care once you get a case# that you may want to switch dealers.
Keep us posted
M

1 - 20 of 81 Posts