Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
QV 1/4 mi fun

Battling wheel hop and 60' times. Best was 1.976 which also had bad wheel hop. All runs were in Race mode (manual)and made passes in both dampener settings. There is certainly more in it...just have to work on the launch. I tried varying amounts of a burnout, rpm's for launch from 2-2500 but no air pressure changes as time was short.

Anyhow had some fun with it. Car did great...no issues.

Two of my best runs of the night:

11.86 @ 118.5
11.94 @ 119.8

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
806 Posts
Taurus SHO?

it looks like you barely beat him. What were your ET‘s on that pass? Traps speeds also?

Thanks,

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
it looks like you barely beat him. What were your ET‘s on that pass? Traps speeds also?

Thanks,
It ran 12.6 @ 109....the AWD certainly helped plus my reaction time sucks...little rusty. Ran 11.94 @ 119.8 on that run but my 60' was 2.158 and my R/T was .5 sec slower ...LOL I wasn't there to win races but to see what the car would do....I did surprise some folks though. Common comment...."What is it?"

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the car run faster times with the softer or harder damper settings?
Faster on the firmer settings. I had better weight transfer on the softer setting but I also had more wheel hop which took away the advantage of the better weight transfer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's encouraging that you were running 11s. Motor Trend could only run a 12.1 and C/D ran a 11.9. Alfa Romeo lists an 11.8 if I remember correctly. I'm assuming you're running the stock tires too, yeah? I can't wait to get mine on the track/drag strip, glad you had a good time.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Battling wheel hop and 60' times. Best was 1.976 which also had bad wheel hop. All runs were in Race mode (manual)and made passes in both dampener settings. There is certainly more in it...just have to work on the launch. I tried varying amounts of a burnout, rpm's for launch from 2-2500 but no air pressure changes as time was short.

Anyhow had some fun with it. Car did great...no issues.

Two of my best runs of the night:

11.86 @ 118.5
11.94 @ 119.8
I can't get past the wheel-hop either. It is frustrating. My car has never been to the drag strip. But, during street driving, the wheel hop is frustrating. Rolling on the gas hard at the top of 1st or 2nd gear causes the wheel hop-- doesn't need to be a drag strip launch.

I find that it is better to keep the suspension in the hardest setting (and race mode, of course). Softening the suspension seems to make it worse.

The only "smooth" acceleration attempts at the top of 1st or 2nd gear occur only when the tires are cold. Then, they just light up smoothly. The tires aren't the issue so much as it is the slack in the rubber suspension points. When the tires are hot, the axle hop is just plain frustrating.

Reminds of the initial version of the CTS-S (Gen1) where axle hop in those cars were a serious annoyance.

Vendors-- who is working to fix it!?

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but what were your shift points? Still working that out. When in race mode and leaving on auto shifting the shift points are beyond red line. I tried that once in manual and I think I hit the rev limiter because the car hesitated right before my shift and then I backed off. No codes.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I can't get past the wheel-hop either. It is frustrating. My car has never been to the drag strip. But, during street driving, the wheel hop is frustrating. Rolling on the gas hard at the top of 1st or 2nd gear causes the wheel hop-- doesn't need to be a drag strip launch.

I find that it is better to keep the suspension in the hardest setting (and race mode, of course). Softening the suspension seems to make it worse.

The only "smooth" acceleration attempts at the top of 1st or 2nd gear occur only when the tires are cold. Then, they just light up smoothly. The tires aren't the issue so much as it is the slack in the rubber suspension points. When the tires are hot, the axle hop is just plain frustrating.

Reminds of the initial version of the CTS-S (Gen1) where axle hop in those cars were a serious annoyance.

Vendors-- who is working to fix it!?
Were you ever able to solve your wheel hop issues?

·
Registered
775 Posts
my experience is ditch the pirellis and throw a better tire on. I don’t deal with wheel hop anymore it’s just wheel spin. Toyo r888r and will go to Hoosier R7 once car is down to 11.2-11.1s
Those are both competition tires. What do you run on the street?

The wheel hop is super annoying - what’s the use of all that power if you can’t put it to the ground safely/efficiently? I’m kind of looking forward to my winter tires as those at least spin smoothly and predictably.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Those are both competition tires. What do you run on the street?

The wheel hop is super annoying - what’s the use of all that power if you can’t put it to the ground safely/efficiently? I’m kind of looking forward to my winter tires as those at least spin smoothly and predictably.
I run the toyo r888r. It’s the same as running the corsa. In fact it’s better traction wet or dry. No wheel rollover at full lock. Doesn’t bubble sidewalls on potholes easily like corsa. Warms up quicker And it has better treadwear. Overall no brainer. Is 1” wider since it’s 295vs285 if that is it’s only drawback for some. For me it’s a plus having wider tire.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I run the toyo r888r. It’s the same as running the corsa. In fact it’s better traction wet or dry. No wheel rollover at full lock. Doesn’t bubble sidewalls on potholes easily like corsa. Warms up quicker And it has better treadwear. Overall no brainer. Is 1” wider since it’s 295vs285 if that is it’s only drawback for some. For me it’s a plus having wider tire.
Thanks, I’ll have to look into those then. So, you were getting consistent wheel hop with the corsas and now you get none with the toyo?

Do you find the toyo hooking up to the road more or slipping more on launch? Aren’t you getting worse power application if they slip more than the corsas? If you have any videos of 1/4 mile runs with those tires or any additional thoughts, I’d appreciate it.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
That would be 1cm wider (about 3/8") not 1", assuming that both brands have tread widths at a similar proportion to the tire spec. Pirelli Cinturati P7 run narrow, I dunno about the Corsa's or Toyo.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Thanks, I’ll have to look into those then. So, you were getting consistent wheel hop with the corsas and now you get none with the toyo?

Do you find the toyo hooking up to the road more or slipping more on launch? Aren’t you getting worse power application if they slip more than the corsas? If you have any videos of 1/4 mile runs with those tires or any additional thoughts, I’d appreciate it.
my best 60’ is on toyo. No wheel hop. Just wheel spin but that’s different case by case for different cars. I have 527 torque so it’s not the tires fault. The QV was not designed to be a drag car so that always has to be kept in mind. It’s RWD track car so it’s going to struggle with a launch. A full drag tire would be only remedy and that may still spin. I have many many drag slip times and draggy times posted. Car last ran [email protected] It will run 11.4 at will. Times start dropping after heat soak (11.5-11.6) I try to wait an hour between runs. the drawback to waiting is of course tires cool down. I’ll attach a couple times for ya for reference.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts