Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

A lighter weight component that has more efficient flow and shows a noticeable improvement in throttle response whilst enhancing that sports car sound.

Features:
  • Designed to accentuate the sports car sound.
  • Fully Titanium for ultimate weight reduction.
  • Improved throttle response.
  • Active Valve Technology.
  • Unique 'Black Titan' Tip design.

• Fitment
    • Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio 16-18
https://quicksilverexhausts.store/c...ia-quadrifoglio-2017-on?variant=5866630512678

$7999GBP in the UK which is $10,600 USD

Or $2660 from Vivid Racing (Might be a pricing Error)

https://www.vividracing.com/quicksi...meo-giulia-quadrifoglio-1618-p-152407054.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
10K. ****. I guess they're only planning to sell 2 or three all year.

Reactions: Rolex

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

A lighter weight component that has more efficient flow and shows a noticeable improvement in throttle response whilst enhancing that sports car sound.

Features:
  • Designed to accentuate the sports car sound.
  • Fully Titanium for ultimate weight reduction.
  • Improved throttle response.
  • Active Valve Technology.
  • Unique 'Black Titan' Tip design.

• Fitment
    • Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio 16-18
https://quicksilverexhausts.store/c...ia-quadrifoglio-2017-on?variant=5866630512678

$7999GBP in the UK which is $10,600 USD

Or $2660 from Vivid Racing (Might be a pricing Error)

https://www.vividracing.com/quicksi...meo-giulia-quadrifoglio-1618-p-152407054.html
When you absolutely must have something ridiculously expensive.....>:)

Reactions: Endeavour

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Looks like a finely made product and price is not surprising....was speculating some time ago that akrapovic does not want to make one because it is much easier sell to owners of cars with price tags above 150k

This thing is probably 50 pounds lighter at least and might have the value to somebody who wants to go racing

For comparison, my full titanium motorcycle exhaust is 5K and is probably one third of the size of this beauty...its also one quarter of the price of a decent motorcycle

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ I don't think people are realizing the purpose of the Post, I think VIVIDRACING has a pricing error that has the same exhaust that is normally 10k for $2500. Full Titanium Exhaust lol.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,408 Posts
It also says it's not street legal :0

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
lowflyer has me wondering what is a decent bike in his world, and what would be a good one.
a typical liter bike, crazy fast, runs $15-$17.5.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Ordering directly from Quicksilver their $$ Giulia QV exhaust is 3990 EUR. Titech Subaru WRX titanium exhaust is about $3000 while their LAMBO titanium exhaust is about $8000.

Thus, I suspect that the Vivid Racing price is not a typo. Vivid racing probably bought several of them and is getting a "volume discount".

A good question is why Vivid Racing calls the system "race only". It looks like a cat-back to me, so maybe it is too loud for street use?

I notice that they omit any actual weight measurements. Saving 1kg of weight is enough to claim "lighter". IIRC, the entire OEM 2.0T cat back weighs just under 40 pounds while the similar complexity and size Titech Subie catback weighs about 15 pounds (note: Titanium exhaust can be made thinner than steel or $$ in addition to the lower density metal).

Anyway, I wonder if they are going to make a system for the 2.0T?

Also, the discoloration around the welds is not ideal and may indicate some QC issues.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ordering directly from Quicksilver their $$ Giulia QV exhaust is 3990 EUR. Titech Subaru WRX titanium exhaust is about $3000 while their LAMBO titanium exhaust is about $8000.

Thus, I suspect that the Vivid Racing price is not a typo. Vivid racing probably bought several of them and is getting a "volume discount".

A good question is why Vivid Racing calls the system "race only". It looks like a cat-back to me, so maybe it is too loud for street use?

I notice that they omit any actual weight measurements. Saving 1kg of weight is enough to claim "lighter". IIRC, the entire OEM 2.0T cat back weighs just under 40 pounds while the similar complexity and size Titech Subie catback weighs about 15 pounds (note: Titanium exhaust can be made thinner than steel or $$ in addition to the lower density metal).

Anyway, I wonder if they are going to make a system for the 2.0T?

Also, the discoloration around the welds is not ideal and may indicate some QC issues.
Ti is a bitch to weld, and that level of “patina“ is not uncommon. here’s a good ref site: http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/welding-titanium.html

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Ti is a bitch to weld, and that level of “patina“ is not uncommon. here’s a good ref site: http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/welding-titanium.html
Any "patina" indicates that the inert gas purge was incomplete and that the metal may be embrittled (weakened due to the incorporation of oxides in the metal).

And yes, Titanium is hard to weld and hard to form which seems to be the main source of the high cost of Titanium parts. Welding large parts is exceptionally difficult. OTOH, Titanium bicycle frames are welded and have nice clean shiny metal.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
yes, well I think the panigale is rated somewhere very beyond 'decent".
but if lowflyer considers that decent, I guess his standard for 'good" or "really good" is in the limited editions of these and Augustas ? V-due perhaps?
I must say though, the size/bulk/length of the panigale surprized me, I was expecting something much smaller overall. A shrunken everywhere v twin 500 version of that would be .... a really nice bike.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
yes, well I think the panigale is rated somewhere very beyond 'decent".
but if lowflyer considers that decent, I guess his standard for 'good" or "really good" is in the limited editions of these and Augustas ? V-due perhaps?
I must say though, the size/bulk/length of the panigale surprized me, I was expecting something much smaller overall. A shrunken everywhere v twin 500 version of that would be .... a really nice bike.
So decent was a very wrong word, I guess I meant a very good italian bike, like Duc, Aprilia or MV....I have not owned jap bike in 3 decades but know that can be had for quite a bit less with same performance numbers...Ducs are all too long because their L shape engine as they like to call it...while it gives the engine very unigue characteristics it is notoriously hard to package into frame without making wheel base tad too long....consequentially all Ducs are bit harder to turn, I was always much more keen of aprilias and MVs with 60 and I4....still think that finest large production italian bike is Aprilia RSV4R

Titanium exhaust is not just much much lighter but also conducts heat differently than steel, exhaust gases are faster and it always helps bike engine to more power...bike engines have very small flywheels so they can rev up instantaneously and throttle response usually substantially improves with also less restrictive exhaust.....consequentially they are almost all not street legal mostly due to excessive noise

Titanium exhaust on a car makes sense to me only if you want to go racing....light weight and unrestricted design might be attractive to some with deeper pockets for the street as well but making it street legal quiet would defeat the purpose of paying such chunk of cash....Akras come often with baffles and CE certification but with baffles performance gain completely disappears

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
my observation on the length of the panigale is mostly based on the "extended" swingarm. especially with modern electronics I don't "see' the need for it - but then again I'm not going 200mph, my opinion might change quickly if I was.
my Ducati has Conti's and open 40's. excessive noise? what does that mean? it's the car alarms going off as you pass by that are excessive.
but I do need to get some expansion chambers for my "new" v4 yamaha - and on that the weight savings and potential power improvements can be quite noticeable.

weight savings on pipes as a % of total vehicle weight can be worthwhile on a bike, but are too insignificant to matter on a big heavy car - unless you are putting together a factory effort.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Well on a bike we get away with a lot in US (for now)....I am sure that any measurement equipment for noise and emissions at DMv would explode if they ever hooked it up to it....in EU is becoming ridiculously restrictive to the point that power curves make bikes unrideable, some friendly governments there can even simply impound your bike

With ti race exhaust on a car things would be lots more complicated in Us with lots of swapping and remapping work every time you went to DMV.....

If I am not mistaken Pani’s swingarm is bolted directly on the engine which might make look longer but the overall bike has longer wheelbase because engine shape is so awkward...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts