Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at an AWD TI. I really want a RWD but it seems they are hard to come by. So I have a couple of questions.

1 Is there any way to address the hideous arch gap on the AWD model?
2. Do the RWD TIs have staggered wheel fitment? In some pictures I have seen it looks as if they have. The AWD do not. It looks so much better with the staggered fitment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
The arch gap is invisible from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The first question you should ask is, do you *NEED* AWD?

If you don't then it's kind of a no brainer. Get the RWD with the *optional* staggered setup. I'm in the Northeast and do *NEED* AWD on the roads I drive on.

I definitely plan on getting lowering springs once they are available for the Q4 but for the time being I'm on a 235/35/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire all around. The Michelins *look* beefier than the stock 225/40 on the 19x8 so that helps sort of create a little bit of an illusion of less wheel gap. Not by much but tolerable for the time being.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also wanted just a rear wheel model, but the dealer told me they are hard to come by in the northeast, not wanting to drive to Florida, the TI Q4 with the spec's I was looking for ( my wife said it's a italian sports car it has to be red) was available so I grabbed it. It's handles fine in the rain, I'll update when the snow arrives.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I feel your pain, but the inverse...because in the Southeast AWD is hard to come by, most are RWD. I wanted AWD so I had to buy out of state.

What I do not understand is why anyone would NOT want AWD. On the Giulia it puts down 100% to rear wheels except when AWD is necessary, and the Q4 is QUICKER by a half second.

it's like the choice between an single scoop
Ice cream cone vs a banana split!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first question you should ask is, do you *NEED* AWD?

If you don't then it's kind of a no brainer. Get the RWD with the *optional* staggered setup. I'm in the Northeast and do *NEED* AWD on the roads I drive on.
I will be in the NE too. The winters can get bad so I suppose AWD is the better option but the wheel set up irks me. The RWD with the staggered set up just looks so much better.

I feel your pain, but the inverse...because in the Southeast AWD is hard to come by, most are RWD. I wanted AWD so I had to buy out of state.

What I do not understand is why anyone would NOT want AWD. On the Giulia it puts down 100% to rear wheels except when AWD is necessary, and the Q4 is QUICKER by a half second.

it's like the choice between an single scoop
Ice cream cone vs a banana split!
I prefer RWD cars. Having not driven the AWD Giulia I can't comment on how the Q4 system works but the asthetics are an issue for me tbh.

I have the Q4. I wouldn't call them hideous, but thats me. Where do you live? we had plenty of q2s and q4s available in nc.
I will be moving to the North East.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You won't be thinking about the aesthetics behind the wheel. The car seriously handles like its on rails.

You could swap out the 19x8 and go with the 19x9 with a 245 section tire as well, that might help. Also as mentioned before the Q4 is primarily RWD
in normal driving conditions so its the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You mention you prefer RWD cars, presumably the handling characteristics once you start to push them harder. You prefer the smaller gap between the wheel and the fender on the Q2. You prefer the staggered wheel setup that's a from the factory option on the Q2.

But your concerned about winter driving in the NE so I would ask you.
Are you prepared to get snow tires for the Giulia for over the winter?
Where in the NE, because the winter conditions vary a lot inside that ill defined geographic block?
And perhaps more important how isolated are the roads that you will be driving on?

As you can tell from my sig I believe a RWD car with good snow tires is rational choice. But I live to the morth of Philadelphia so the number of really bad snow days are low. And if it does snow a lot my progress on the road is likely to be hampered more by other drivers than my lack of AWD. Finally for the other 95% of the time I prefer how the Giulia Q2 with mechanical LSD handles.
If I lived somewhere with significantly more snow days, or needed to drive isolated snow covered roads I would probably make a different choice. But at that point the ground clearance on any Giulia would start to look like a liability. Perhaps a Stelvio under those circumstances?

You can make either a Q2 or Q4 work well for you and I think they are both great choice, its just good to hear your working towards becoming a Giulia owner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You mention you prefer RWD cars, presumably the handling characteristics once you start to push them harder. You prefer the smaller gap between the wheel and the fender on the Q2. You prefer the staggered wheel setup that's a from the factory option on the Q2.

But your concerned about winter driving in the NE so I would ask you.
Are you prepared to get snow tires for the Giulia for over the winter?
Where in the NE, because the winter conditions vary a lot inside that ill defined geographic block?
And perhaps more important how isolated are the roads that you will be driving on?

As you can tell from my sig I believe a RWD car with good snow tires is rational choice. But I live to the morth of Philadelphia so the number of really bad snow days are low. And if it does snow a lot my progress on the road is likely to be hampered more by other drivers than my lack of AWD. Finally for the other 95% of the time I prefer how the Giulia Q2 with mechanical LSD handles.
If I lived somewhere with significantly more snow days, or needed to drive isolated snow covered roads I would probably make a different choice. But at that point the ground clearance on any Giulia would start to look like a liability. Perhaps a Stelvio under those circumstances?

You can make either a Q2 or Q4 work well for you and I think they are both great choice, its just good to hear your working towards becoming a Giulia owner.
Thanks for the input. I am actually moving from Ireland to Philadelphia in two weeks so am in negotiations with a dealer about picking up a car when I land.

I'm a complete Alfa nut so a Giulia is the logical choice for me. I am currently in a Golf GTI but have had a LOT of Alfas (all 156s). Total side step of the thread but this was my favorite one. It was built by a Ducati race bike mechanic in the UK (who I bought it from) and was a complete weapon. Has a 3.0 V6 transplant, GTA cams, lightened flywheel, flowed and ported heads, eibach shocks, GTA Brembos (the list goes on). It sounded like the apocalypse. >:) I regret selling it. The guy that bought it from me did a lot more work on it though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

It's more weight on the front end that you don't need to carry around (if you don't need AWD).
Sure, it's faster from a standstill, but not after 2nd gear and around the curves...

·
Registered
547 Posts
It's more weight on the front end that you don't need to carry around (if you don't need AWD).
Sure, it's faster from a standstill, but not after 2nd gear and around the curves...
I think you are completely wrong 2nd gear and on the Q4 is fantastic and it's primarily in RWD and curve handling is spot on with better tires.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Do you have a q4? I don't get why people make ignorant comments like this

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Do you have a q4? I don't get why people make ignorant comments like this
An all wheel drive will always be heavier than a FWD or a RWD... there's no way around that.

Just to be clear guys I'm not dissing the q4, it's a fantastic car. All I'm saying is that the only scenario you benefit from all wheel drive is in low grip conditions, i.e. rain, snow, or gravel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We own a Q4 Ti with the performance package.

It is at the dealer right now getting some stuff done so we have a RWD base.

If you do not need AWD, get the RWD. We live in Michigan so AWD was a necessity. Car feels lighter in the front end. Same tires and not nearly the same tire noise level in corners I assume because lack of weight in AWD hardware or geometry changes.

Car feels faster pretty much all the way around. If I brake torque off the line the AWD car would crush it. The AWD cars launch pretty hard leaving around 3500rpm with no bogging or ECS interference. That is about the only clear advantage beyond wet/poor weather driving.

The ECS is much more restrictive in the RWD car, especially in the rain. I can get a pretty good sliding angle on the AWD car on the power, the RWD car once your out 10-15 percent angle it snaps you back no matter what.

In the corners the RWD car feels better but in the AWD car if your driving with light throttle you can pull yourself through just the same, but isn't as fun or engaging.

What really strikes me is the lack of tire noise. Same tires but our AWD has 19's and the dealer car has 18's. Our car squeals like mad in corners, the RWD car is silent.

The RWD car just feels more lively and maybe its just me but the steering is not as fast as it seems in the AWD car but not entirely sure. I think the performance pack adjusts the steering rate so that might be it too.

·
Banned
264 Posts
I had the opposite experience with a TI RWD loaner....It felt pretty much the same as the q4 except when wet, the RWD was a mess...
The RWD had the 19's and C7 tires while mine has 18" sport wheels with the bridgstone 450 rft....

·
Registered
646 Posts
The ECS is much more restrictive in the RWD car, especially in the rain. I can get a pretty good sliding angle on the AWD car on the power, the RWD car once your out 10-15 percent angle it snaps you back no matter what.
Bingo! I noticed exactly the same thing. Since I get a lot of wet roads where I live, the Q4 fits the bill, and I feel comfortable getting on the throttle sooner out of tight turns than with the Q2. I was actually really surprised at how permissive the ESC is on the Q4 Ti. In my Q4 Ghibli, the ESC kicks on way too early.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
Ti Perf Pkg Fan (I am) on Q4

I miss my 156 so much, but my tricoat Veloce Q4 (TI stateside) will be here soon.... Has anybody ordered the active suspension on the AWD?
Yes indeed, I have the Q4 w/Ti performance package with limited slip differential and active dampers. It is fantastic! Driving mountain canyon roads several times per week for fun. The combination of hard cornering and grip with the LSD, makes second gear through fourth gear turns simply amazing!

Having driven a Q2 (RWD with performance package), I find virtually no difference in feel in the corners except on hard second gear turns, where I find the Q4 superior -- the front wheels snap the car around as they receive power. I agree that the traction control nannies don't seem as prevalent on the Q4 as on the Q2.

The really amazing part is the difference between an active suspension car and the standard non-controlled damper vehicle. Considerably less dive in hard braking, flatter turns in D mode and pretty fantastic bump modulation. I'm also told that it has effect in N mode by controlling body pitch and sway when the softer ride is selected.

As I've said several times, it's the best $1200 value option in the AR lineup.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
An all wheel drive will always be heavier than a FWD or a RWD... there's no way around that.

Just to be clear guys I'm not dissing the q4, it's a fantastic car. All I'm saying is that the only scenario you benefit from all wheel drive is in low grip conditions, i.e. rain, snow, or gravel.
I have a Q4 on order. I have not done back-to-back comparisons. The math says that you are correct, RWD Giulia will out accelerate Q4 Giulia once it is out of 1st gear. It is not clear how long it will take the RWD car to catch up though.

There are several performance affecting differences between RWD versus Q4 Giulia as delivered by AR:

1) Q4 sits higher. This will cause more body roll (assuming the same spring rates) and slightly alter the handling as well as the view out the windshield.

2) The front of Q4 is heavier. A remarkably small 130lbs only. This weight is biased towards the front, disrupting the "perfect" 50-50 balance of the RWD version. The extra weight for AWD is substantially greater on other car models.

3) Q4 comes with all season tires. Some versions of RWD come with summer tires. Since AR does not spec the best traction all season tires, this difference is significant.

I'm sure there are other significant differences. The Q4 right front foot well is slightly narrower.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.