Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2017 base Giulia with sport interior and exterior packages and a panoramic roof. Unfortunately, I'm a couple of hours from the nearest dealer, so while I test drove one a few months ago, it wasn't equipped this way. I am a bit apprehensive about buying one of these with the dealer so far away, but heck, what's life without a few risks?

I have a few questions:

Since I haven't seen the pano roof in person, does the sun shade completely block the light? Is it opaque or mesh? I'm short, so headroom isn't really a concern, but this might be.

The unit I'm looking at seems equipped just like I want it and is an interesting color (white/red) whereas it seems nearly every other car in stock in the state (Michigan) only has black interior, which is nice, but not what I want. However, the invoice indicates that the car has been sitting for a LONG time. The invoice date was January, 2017! I saw some other posts about trying to buy cars built after March of this year. Are there any big differences in quality or updates after March I should be concerned about given my distance for warranty work?

Thanks!

·
Banned
264 Posts
I'm looking at a 2017 base Giulia with sport interior and exterior packages and a panoramic roof. Unfortunately, I'm a couple of hours from the nearest dealer, so while I test drove one a few months ago, it wasn't equipped this way. I am a bit apprehensive about buying one of these with the dealer so far away, but heck, what's life without a few risks?

I have a few questions:

Since I haven't seen the pano roof in person, does the sun shade completely block the light? Is it opaque or mesh? I'm short, so headroom isn't really a concern, but this might be.

The unit I'm looking at seems equipped just like I want it and is an interesting color (white/red) whereas it seems nearly every other car in stock in the state (Michigan) only has black interior, which is nice, but not what I want. However, the invoice indicates that the car has been sitting for a LONG time. The invoice date was January, 2017! I saw some other posts about trying to buy cars built after March of this year. Are there any big differences in quality or updates after March I should be concerned about given my distance for warranty work?

Thanks!
its a mesh and does not completely block out light, but blocks out the harsh sunlight...dont get the car if your closes dealer is several hours away, any repairs will require you to drive for hours...that is crazy..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
distance to dealer

It is a couple of hours drive, though I do head down there every so often to visit family and/or kids events.

I figure if it's a serious issue that roadside assistance coverage should take it down there (bringing it back is another issue). The dealer salesman swears to me that they will pick up and deliver the car for maintenance and repairs, but I don't believe that unless I see it in writing. Not at the margins they are selling these for, anyway.

I'm more fearful that they will drop the brand completely and leave me more stranded, honestly. The Fiat dealer here in our town closed last fall and even the Mazda dealership went away so that the Ford store could expand their used car department. Honestly, imports just don't seem to do well here in Michigan where everyone seems to have GM & Ford employee discounts. Mazda was a shock, but the dealer always treated it like an afterthought and took shoppers over to Fords for better rebates, so I guess I'm not too surprised, though I am disappointed as they make nice cars.

There are a number of orphaned cars up here. There is no Lexus dealer, Jaguar, Infiniti, Fiat, Mazda, even Acura up here though we are a fairly affluent beach community with a lot of nice cars driving around. Teslas aren't completely unheard of though the nearest dealer is in Ohio, about 6 hours away, but they do provide white-glove service.

I hear you, though... I'm struggling with this decision. Then to buy a car that has been sitting on the lot for 8 months and is an early first-year FCA product... I may change my mind the more I think about it. This is my heart overriding my brain. I drove a 164 extensively when I was younger and I even worked for Alfa Romeo on a project in graduate school where I got to drive Balocco. I've since owned a Fiat 500 Abarth which just got too small as my family grew. I definitely have the passion, but geography may prove too big of a problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A March 2017 Giulia will have to have its software/firmware upgraded. I believe there was a new version launched in May 2017, that solves quite a few issues.

Yves

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,385 Posts
Traverse City area, Steve? Sunlight isn't much brighter here in Metro Detroit, and the mesh shade has been sufficient for me.

What dealer has the car you are considering? I'd hold out for an interior color you like (no way I was going to get the black) on something more factory-fresh.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, Traverse City. The dealer is in Grand Rapids.

I'd argue we get more sun up here in TC than in Detroit... but we can probably agree that the view is nicer. I used to live in the hot central valley of California (Davis) so perhaps I'm overly critical of the sun shade. It definitely wouldn't have worked well out there or in Phoenix. The heat gain isn't nearly the same issue here and in the winter it might actually be welcomed!

Wouldn't a software update have been done to an older car? Or do they require an owner to come back to service with a complaint before they do that?

I can't believe this car is still sitting in inventory after 8 months and they won't go below invoice (plus incentives). I'd think they would be a lot more desperate to get rid of it by now and with 2018s on the way. But what do I know?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The sun shade isnt great. IVe been thinking of applying tint to the roof.

I would go without the large sunroof if I did it over again.

For a car sitting on the lot that long, I would be looking for $8K off sticker.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts

I'd argue we get more sun up here in TC than in Detroit... but we can probably agree that the view is nicer. I used to live in the hot central valley of California (Davis) so perhaps I'm overly critical of the sun shade. It definitely wouldn't have worked well out there or in Phoenix. The heat gain isn't nearly the same issue here and in the winter it might actually be welcomed!

Wouldn't a software update have been done to an older car? Or do they require an owner to come back to service with a complaint before they do that?

I can't believe this car is still sitting in inventory after 8 months and they won't go below invoice (plus incentives). I'd think they would be a lot more desperate to get rid of it by now and with 2018s on the way. But what do I know?
111F in Davis over the weekend, hot even for that hot location.
I have a car on order without any sunroof. It adds weight and I don't want to look up through the roof. I'll concede that the shiny black roof line looks nice from the outside of the car, but I don't want a solar heat collector on the roof of my car.

Call me crazy, but I am 3 hours from the nearest dealer (Niello in Sacto). I am hoping that a dealer in CC or Reno will happen someday, but that is going to depend on AR being successful. I bought a car hauler trailer just in case (I need it for other stuff anyway). I also plan to keep my old car, just in case. AR USA.com tells me that there is no Alfa dealer in my area.

Check the many threads in the Giulia forums about SW updates. Apparently AR corporate policy is to only do the updates if there is a customer complaint. Some dealers do the updates pro-actively anyway, but they are rare and don't expect a big discount from them. Currently you must go to a dealer to get an update. AR may have realized how crazy this policy is recently and may be changing; I dunno.

On a new car always check the tire pressure before driving away. The tires are grossly overinflated before shipping and the dealer should adjust the tire pressure as part of dealer prep, but many dealers do not get it done. This is not AR specific advise; my wife's Subaru also had overinflated tires upon delivery. One forum member had a tire pop as a result of this.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,385 Posts

I contacted that dealer when I was searching (the same car was probably in inventory but not interesting to me). From your description, they may have upped their game since then. Too bad they're not more willing to deal.

While you probably get more sun in TC, Detroit's sun might be a little stronger solely due to latitude. I'm a big believer in "passive solar heat" on cool/cold days.

Don't count on software updates. I got my car in May and haven't had any done yet. Don't want to risk making what's already OK worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts