Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a CEL on my 3,650 miles 2019 QV. There are two consecutive texts on the dash that say Check Engine and Schedule Maintenance Within 25 days. The car needs its first oil change in 25 days, not because of the miles but because of the oil age, I guess. Because of the CEL on, the auto Stop/Start does not work and the car is stuck in "N" mode, by default, I think. I ordered a OBDII scanner and I will get it tomorrow. I have plans to bring the car to the dealer within the next 25 days but, I wanted to wait till then, be able to drive it in any mode and be sure that I will be OK, if I wait. The issue is not battery. I checked it, it was OK at 12.51v and I recharged it at 13.5v.

1) Does a Schedule Maintenance Within 25 days text triggers a CEL and will keep it on until the maintenence is done?.
2) I will read the error code(s) tomorrow:
a) after I read the code(s) and take note of what it (they) does (do) mean, can I erase it (them)?
b) if I erase it (them), will the CEL disapear and the auto Stop/Sart will resume working as well as the ability to switch
the driving mode out of "N"? Should I read and erase or should I only read?.
c) If I erase it (them), can the dealership technician look at what it was (they were)?. Or they will never know?
3) In looking at the owner's manual, it says that I can drive the car with a steady (not flasing) CEL and that I need to bring it to a dealership ASAP. Am I OK driving it for 2-3 weeks (in "N" and with no auto Stop/Start) with a CEL on?.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Registered
240 Posts
1) "check engine" light shouldn't have anything to do with scheduled maintenance.
2.a) yes, you can erase.
NOTE: your car is MY2019 so to erase any errors you'll need SGW bypass adapter. Otherwise your diagnostic routine will consist only of reading errors.
2.b) in case of successful error erase car will go back to regular driving conditions - Start/Stop working, DNA switching through all modes. Otherwise if check engine light remains Start/Stop and DNA stay disabled.
2.c) unless ECU has so called shadow memory erased errors won't be visible to dealer. Maybe @Crosshairs or somebody else with dealer equipment could add some more info.
3) unless you read errors to see what caused them in first place nobody can tell for sure if you can drive it or not. Check engine light could be caused by for example brake pedal sensor or out-of-sync crankshaft-camshaft. In first case you can drive it for years, in second case I wouldn't even drive it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I currently have a CEL on my 3,650 miles 2019 QV. There are two consecutive texts on the dash that say Check Engine and Schedule Maintenance Within 25 days. The car needs its first oil change in 25 days, not because of the miles but because of the oil age, I guess. Because of the CEL on, the auto Stop/Start does not work and the car is stuck in "N" mode, by default, I think. I ordered a OBDII scanner and I will get it tomorrow. I have plans to bring the car to the dealer within the next 25 days but, I wanted to wait till then, be able to drive it in any mode and be sure that I will be OK, if I wait. The issue is not battery. I checked it, it was OK at 12.51v and I recharged it at 13.5v.

1) Does a Schedule Maintenance Within 25 days text triggers a CEL and will keep it on until the maintenence is done?.
2) I will read the error code(s) tomorrow:
a) after I read the code(s) and take note of what it (they) does (do) mean, can I erase it (them)?
b) if I erase it (them), will the CEL disapear and the auto Stop/Sart will resume working as well as the ability to switch
the driving mode out of "N"? Should I read and erase or should I only read?.
c) If I erase it (them), can the dealership technician look at what it was (they were)?. Or they will never know?
3) In looking at the owner's manual, it says that I can drive the car with a steady (not flasing) CEL and that I need to bring it to a dealership ASAP. Am I OK driving it for 2-3 weeks (in "N" and with no auto Stop/Start) with a CEL on?.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Good luck Giuliano, hope codes show nothing to be concerned with. My 2019, like yours has around 3200 miles and you’ve got me thinking it’s probably time to invest in a code reader as well. Did you order your whole setup through Alfaissimo?

·
Registered
534 Posts
If the car is going to the dealership anyways id caution against erasing the error codes as they wont be able to address them if they cant pull them.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck Giuliano, hope codes show nothing to be concerned with. My 2019, like yours has around 3200 miles and you’ve got me thinking it’s probably time to invest in a code reader as well. Did you order your whole setup through Alfaissimo?
I ordered one in Amazon today with delivery tomorrow. I ordered the Actron CP9670. But, for what I need, maybe the CP9125 was going to be enough.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If going with those types id recommend foxwell nt530. You can even do some light programming with it and service resets

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) "check engine" light shouldn't have anything to do with scheduled maintenance.
2.a) yes, you can erase.
NOTE: your car is MY2019 so to erase any errors you'll need SGW bypass adapter. Otherwise your diagnostic routine will consist only of reading errors.
2.b) in case of successful error erase car will go back to regular driving conditions - Start/Stop working, DNA switching through all modes. Otherwise if check engine light remains Start/Stop and DNA stay disabled.
2.c) unless ECU has so called shadow memory erased errors won't be visible to dealer. Maybe @Crosshairs or somebody else with dealer equipment could add some more info.
3) unless you read errors to see what caused them in first place nobody can tell for sure if you can drive it or not. Check engine light could be caused by for example brake pedal sensor or out-of-sync crankshaft-camshaft. In first case you can drive it for years, in second case I wouldn't even drive it.
Thanks for responding. It's a big coincidence that the CEL came up at the same time as the Schedule Maintenance Within the 25 days text. It did not come up on Tuesday with 26 days and today, it says Schedule Maintenance Within the 24 days. I will look for the SGW Bypass Addapter. In regards to the CEL, I was hoping that the Owner's Manual information was accurate and that I could drive the car moderatelly for a couple of weeks and assume that ASAP could be interpreted as a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I would see what the code is first before you decide whether or not you want to erase it, if it seems software related then perhaps it’s worth deleting so you can drive normally again, but if it’s something hardware related then either try and fix the issue yourself, or just wait until you go see the dealer

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the OBDII scanner today and read the codes. It read 7 codes. 3 times P0300 (Random Multiple Misfire Detected) and maked them as Confirmed, Pending and Permanent. One P0363 (Misfire Detected Fueling Disabled) marked as Confirmed. One P0302 (Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected), marked as Pending. One P0301 (Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected) marked as Pending. And the last one was P0303 (Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected) marked as Pending.

So, I assume that there was a misfire issue on this past Wednesday morning !!!!. I still see in the dash the Check Engine text, the Schedule Maintenance in 23 Days text and two times I saw the ETC light. The CEL is still on (with the drive mode stuck in "N" and the Auto Stop/Start is still not working because of the CEL on). The engine runs perfectly so, there is no loss of performance nor irregular/high idling speed.

Maybe a fuel supply issue?. I think that I can drive the car without causing any problem, knowing that the CEL is related to those misfires detected a couple of days ago. Do you guys agree?. I have an appoitment on Wednesday morning next week for the first oil/filter change and to fix/clear the CEL.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
A misfire is no joke, especially since it threw 7 codes. I know it's tough but I would wait until you see the dealer and have them look. Not worth damaging the engine for a few weeks of driving in N

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This below is what I’m reading about the subject.

The check engine light is on, so I decided to read the codes. It turns out that I have multiple P0300 fault codes. Further troubleshooting determines that all the diagnostic trouble codes are on one side of the engine. In my case, cylinders 1, 2 and 3, which is the right side of the engine. The issue happened on Wednesday morning (3 days ago) for 20-30 seconds. I didn't notice it as every morning, the first 30-40 seconds the engine feels like it is misfiring, which I assumed it is normal. The engine has been running perfectly.

Common problems that can cause misfire codes on only one block:

Catalytic Converter A clogged catalytic converter. Symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter include: Check engine light on or flashing, Sluggish acceleration, the smell of rotten eggs from the exhaust, Excessive heat, catalytic converter turning red

Low Engine Compression Another possible problem that can cause misfire fault codes on only one side is low compression. Low compression can be caused by a blown head gasket.

Wire Harness Damaged wire harness from the ECU to the ignition coils can also be the culprit. Use a digital multimeter to test that you have power going to the ignition coil and also a good ground connection.

Engine Control Unit A faulty Engine Control Unit (ECU) can cause multiple random misfire codes. A bad ECU will most likely cause misfire codes on all cylinders, but in a few rare cases it may affect only specific cylinders. Symptoms include communication errors and random fault codes.

Mass Air Flow Sensor In some cases, vehicles have two air intakes, one for each bank. This translates into one Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor per bank. If one of the MAF sensors fails, it will send the wrong air volume and temperature data to the ECU. Since the ECU has inaccurate data about the air entering that side of the engine, the ECU will end up calculating the air/fuel ratio incorrectly. This causes the wrong amount of fuel to be sent to the cylinder on one side, which leads to misfire codes on one side of the engine.

Camshaft Position Sensor. The camshaft position sensor detects the speed of the camshaft. This data is used by the ECU to adjust the timing, timing of spark, and fuel injection. Having a bad CPS sensor can trigger misfire codes on one side of the engine.

Let's see what the dealership's technician figures out next week.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,602 Posts
I have a MY19 2.0L Giulia, and even though I do not have a SGW bypass, I can successfully clear codes with my OBD2 scanner, a PLX Kiwi3, controlled via the DashCommand phone app.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know where the SGM is located in a 2019 QV?. My 2019 QV was produced in early August 2018. I have been told that starting with the 2019 models, the cars have SGMs but, it looks like there are some 2019 model cars that do not have those modules. How does one know if the car has a SGM?.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a MY19 2.0L Giulia, and even though I do not have a SGW bypass, I can successfully clear codes with my OBD2 scanner, a PLX Kiwi3, controlled via the DashCommand phone app.
Think it can also reset the oil and service indicators without a SGW bypass?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Does anyone know where the SGM is located in a 2019 QV?. My 2019 QV was produced in early August 2018. I have been told that starting with the 2019 models, the cars have SGMs but, it looks like there are some 2019 model cars that do not have those modules. How does one know if the car has a SGM?.
I think it's in the steering column but I could be wrong

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update and closing the post. A successful visit to a great dealer (Alfa Romeo of Cincinnati) today. Changed oil and filter (1st time and complementary) and cleared the CEL. No issues. All good now. They read the 7 misfires codes, pulled the spark plugs, verified burns are clean and checked fuel presures, all within Specs. As talked, these engines run rough briefly (8-10 sec) when started from cold in the mornings and can pick up a misfire fault during that period. The engine is running perfectly, even with the CEL on since last Wednesday and right now. The DNA is back working and the auto Stop/Start works too. The technician confirmed that this QV has a SGM so, next CEL will mean a short visit to the dealer, again. At least, I have now the OBDII Scanner so, I will know if the CEL is something dangerous or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts