Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I change my horn, will the new horn make the same audible noise when you lock the doors with the handle?

I'd like to put an air horn but I don't want the air horn to be the sound when locking the doors.

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
If I change my horn, will the new horn make the same audible noise when you lock the doors with the handle?

I'd like to put an air horn but I don't want the air horn to be the sound when locking the doors.

Thanks
You can turn the horn off when locking the doors via the infotainment system.

Reactions: RVAAF

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd still like to hear the sound when locking the doors.

I know that some cars have two horns for this purpose alone.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Thanks
There was a good thread some time ago about installing a FIAMM horn. From my recollection it’s more doable in non-QV models due to space for the compressor.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,473 Posts
The stock horns are wimpy. I'd like a FIAMM or similar so long as I could restore the car to its original equipment at lease turn-in.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts

What cars are those?

Most cars have 2 horns, set to different pitches in order to make a more distinct sound. I presume that is not what you are referencing.

FIAMM air horns (not to be confused with FIAMM electro-magnetic horns--which more than likely are what come on Giulia) have a distinct delay to them due to the time required for the compressor to produce enough pressure to activate the trumpets. Might this delay be long enough to prevent them sounding when locking/unlocking? Alternatively, wire a relay to switch between horn sets based on if the accessory power is switched on?

Personally I disable the horn from sounding on door lock/unlock on my vehicles. I drive late at night and prefer to not wake the neighbors. There is little in life as unpleasant as an upset neighbor.

I've got a brass ah-woo-gah horn around here somewhere <very long story>. This works by having a disk mounted on the end of a motor with a quill mounted on the disk, the quill hits a matching quill that is mounted on a diaphragm on a trumpet. Better for a getting a smile than getting people out of the way, but it is really loud. The motor needs rewiring though.

·
Registered
554 Posts

My horn doesn't honk when locking the doors, but the car does make a beeping sound. Not through the horn and not sure if that's a setting in the infotainment, it's just always been like that...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Fiamm air horns playing "O Sole Mio". That would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What cars are those?

Most cars have 2 horns, set to different pitches in order to make a more distinct sound. I presume that is not what you are referencing.

FIAMM air horns (not to be confused with FIAMM electro-magnetic horns--which more than likely are what come on Giulia) have a distinct delay to them due to the time required for the compressor to produce enough pressure to activate the trumpets. Might this delay be long enough to prevent them sounding when locking/unlocking? Alternatively, wire a relay to switch between horn sets based on if the accessory power is switched on?

Personally I disable the horn from sounding on door lock/unlock on my vehicles. I drive late at night and prefer to not wake the neighbors. There is little in life as unpleasant as an upset neighbor.

I've got a brass ah-woo-gah horn around here somewhere <very long story>. This works by having a disk mounted on the end of a motor with a quill mounted on the disk, the quill hits a matching quill that is mounted on a diaphragm on a trumpet. Better for a getting a smile than getting people out of the way, but it is really loud. The motor needs rewiring though.
Let me double check, I could have wrong information but I thought my friends M5 has two horns for the different sounds but possibly I got confused.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My horn doesn't honk when locking the doors, but the car does make a beeping sound. Not through the horn and not sure if that's a setting in the infotainment, it's just always been like that...
Is it more like a chirping noise?

That would be ideal for me.

That way I can change the horn but then I would still have an audible noise (chirping) when locking the doors.

What do others have? horn or chirping noise when locking the doors?

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
i was a bit sad when i honked the horn for the first time on the Giulia and it didnt have a classic italian horn like on 80s countachs.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Revisiting this topic.

Anyone change their horn?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking into this again about installing an air horn but I don't want the air horn to make noise when locking the doors and I don't want to turn the sound off.

Hoping to get feedback.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Gave up on the project due to tight spaces and a few unclear concerns.

But, hey, go for it:

·
Vendor
3,423 Posts
What cars are those?

Fiamm is OEM, has been for a long time. I do not think the horn is weak. If I ever changed the horns, which is not something I plan on doing, I'd use some old Fiamm 164 horns which are stellar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts