Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That last run shown on the video was the only one where the car really connected and minimal tire spin.

The car gets reactions from everyone! A 10 year old told me he knew it was an Alfa when I pulled in. And an older gentleman advised me to bring it to a NH seacoast car show, and compared it to an old English roadster he used to own from the 50’s or 60’s. Someone else asked how they pronounce “Giulia”. This was just at the track, around town the questions are quite different. Performance wise I didn’t get to stick around to get reaction. But a miss shift run against a c6 video got some comments giving me a hard time. (https://youtu.be/EHlDLmTyDk4).

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wow! Great videos posted here and at your previous and first thread. :smile2:

BTW: That's why I spell my screen name "JuliaQ4-Nut". I have a base Giulia Q4 and use Julia in case any who bought one still hasn't figured out how to pronounce the model name. It also helps trolls here who also don't know it is Giulia, Italian as in Julia, English. The Nut, well that should be obvious if you read a few of my posts.

>:) :wink2: :nerd:

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
179 Posts
Did you play with tire pressures at all? I had bad wheel hop and my 60' times were horrible. I was launching at 2k rpm but not sure if you are doing that or not.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Fantastic videos and I see that your last start in the first video was so quick!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
trapspeeds were pretty consistent, which is good.

Did you use the launch control?
Were your 60' pretty consistent?

·
Registered
527 Posts
trapspeeds were pretty consistent, which is good.

Did you use the launch control?
Were your 60' pretty consistent?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
How many miles on the car? I ask because the car seems to be much stronger and even gets much better mileage with 3k+miles on the odometer...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am pretty sure our cars do not have launch control.
I think what they mean is the "manual launch control trick" discussed on this forum.

Brake.
Bring RPMs up to around 2K (as much as 3500 from some posters)
Release brake and
LAUNCH!!

I used it to good effect at my race event in April. My best 1/2 mile speed of 148+ was when I got a really good launch from around 2K RPM and hit the green light just perfectly.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Very nice. Lot of old school cars could run that time i had a 1970 440 built Cuba that run 12:20s. Great job car looked strong.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Seemed like most of the other drivers were not very prompt in launching.... they seem delayed in response times.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the car had aprox. 1400 miles on it, as if that track day. So excited to see how it feels around 3k miles like you reference!

Ats-v launch held the car at full throttle, full break, at around 3500rpm, and then when you let off the break it held good and amazing 60’ times (0.02 faster than q.v.). But this was after being equipped with conti dws all seasons which held amazing....
In the qv...
I didn’t try holding at anything over 2500. thinking I’d spin but I think I’ll experiment between 2500-3500 next time. Holding at 2500 seemed to be best.

I didn’t try any tweaks to the tire pressure. Would love suggestions.

To compare with the comment about the 1970 cuda 440, according to a few sites I referenced the cuda in 1970 had a stock 1/4 mile time of 13.2 (104mph) and to get it to 12.2 would have taken some mods but it’s crazy how fast those cars were right before the 70’s regulates them to death.
The impressive aspect of the sub 12 second times (with a good driver) In the qv Is that’s out of the box stock! The brand new Cuda 440 in 1970 was $4500 dollar according to one site (with inflation that is around $30k today) and you could easily spend much less than $70k to get that under 12 second. So prob a better value than the qv in that respect.
As for modern cars there are only a handful running sub 12 seconds stock costing <$80k brand new (e.g. demon, hellcat, Amg c36s, Jaguar f type, Alfa giulia Qv) and a handful hovering around it (ats-v, m3 comp, camero, other charger/challenger).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very nice runs.

RACE mode?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think what they mean is the "manual launch control trick" discussed on this forum.

Brake.
Bring RPMs up to around 2K (as much as 3500 from some posters)
Release brake and
LAUNCH!!

I used it to good effect at my race event in April. My best 1/2 mile speed of 148+ was when I got a really good launch from around 2K RPM and hit the green light just perfectly.
That would be what is commonly referred to as "brake boosting". Launch control utilizes electronic aids through the ECU for boost limit, ABS input, etc to control the launch or wheel spin. I brake boosted at 2000 and 2500 on all my runs as I still could not get away from wheel hop and have a decent 60' time. Will try again in the early fall when it is not so hot and play with air pressures. All were in Race mode and shifted manually. Second timeslip is NOT the run against the Taurus SHO AWD which was tuned btw in the video . He ran 12.60 @109 and I ran a 12.09 @117 for those curious. His 60' was great with the AWD but I was running him down just past the 1/8th.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You got a nice launch on that last run. I need to get out to a drag strip, that looks like too much fun. Plus I need to justify the Nittos I bought :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I thought I read somewhere it had LC...
Alfa Romeo Giulia feature list

Maybe it's just simply brake-boosting.

I imagine with a good launch, 1.8-1.9 60' might be achievable. Maybe quicker with a DR.
You are right they sure do list it as "Launch Control". I would say they are using the term in a very loose interpretation. Launch Control in say a Porsche 991.2 GT3 is legit LC in my mind.

Go to 00:35 in this vid

1 - 20 of 20 Posts