Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enough is never enough.
Mercedes AMG has unleashed the 603 HP 627-lb-ft torque 4.0liter V8 E63 S sedan, on our shores.
It just spanked the slower Giulia Quadrifoglio around Virginia International Raceway (VIR) to the tune of 3.2 seconds per lap!
I'll bet that it has better sat-nav too!
I say, it's time for a V8.
Why should we get only 6 of the Ferrari 8 cylinders?
Why not shoehorn the 488 GTB 3.9liter 661 HP V8 under the Giulia Quadrifoglio hood.
If we start writing to Sergio (Marchionne) now, maybe we can get er done for the MY2019.
They could call it the Quadrifoglio Veloce, or QV.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It would be faster than Ferrari...no no in Italia, I think Clarkson once said that would be like throwing up on the Pope

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be faster than Ferrari...no no in Italia, I think Clarkson once said that would be like throwing up on the Pope
It wouldn't be faster than the 488.
It would be about 500 lbs heavier.
But lighter than the E63 S.
No puke required.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I "built" an E63S on the MB site that has the same features as my Quad (Sport seats, CCB's, Red Tricoat paint)...MSRP was $122,500...just a tad higher than the $85K price on my car (I got the CCB's before the price increase). So, you are looking at about $40K difference out the door between the two cars...and remember VIR is a fast track, where horsepower is definitely an advantage, but don't overlook that for back road driving, the Alfa at 3,800 lbs, is much lighter than the E63 S at 4,500 lbs. I own a SL63 AMG, and love it, but it's only shortcoming as a sports car is its weight...the Alfa feels much lighter than my AMG.

Anyway, i would buy a Quad with a V8...not that I feel I need it. The car can be driven beyond speeds that are safe (bicyclists, deer, Prius drivers...) on the back roads here in NorCal, and I wouldn't trade more HP for more weight...but I also used to own a Lotus Elise, so I'm clearly biased toward light weight sports cars.

tim

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It wouldn't be faster than the 488.
It would be about 500 lbs heavier.
But lighter than the E63 S.
No puke required.
Are you sure about that? It might corner like the pope mobile too. ;) For me, I like the idea that the V6 twin turbo tech is coming from F1. Which begs the question, where do you put the water to air intercoolers? Lighten the V6 Quad some more and then slice the V8 C63 from its corpulent groin to it's turkey gobble gullet. But why are we worrying about a track in Virgina?

·
Registered
334 Posts
The QV already goes fast enough to make you see your life flash before your eyes and see dead relatives ....... I don't think I need it to have more power, I agree with the comment about better drivers ..... i love all of the car companies (jaguar\BMW\Mercedes) that are coming out with cars faster than the QV for 120 - 200 K. If someone produces a faster car for 80 K, I'll be impressed .....

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Enough is never enough.
Mercedes AMG has unleashed the 603 HP 627-lb-ft torque 4.0liter V8 E63 S sedan, on our shores.
It just spanked the slower Giulia Quadrifoglio around Virginia International Raceway (VIR) to the tune of 3.2 seconds per lap!
Why not shoehorn the 488 GTB 3.9liter 661 HP V8 under the Giulia Quadrifoglio hood.
If we start writing to Sergio (Marchionne) now, maybe we can get er done for the MY2019.
@AlfaAndy....and what have YOU been drinking tonight:grin2:
besides isn't there a board member here who was given a Eurocompulsion tune for his Quad that supposedly makes a tick over 600hp?
I believe that the current Hp for this car's chassis/suspension is just fine right now....
BTW do you know where the video for this monster lap of VIR can be found??
EDIT: found the video....the only 2 cars quicker BOTH have over 100 more HP and 1 is AWD....nah...I'll keep my tail happy Quad just as she is :)

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
The QV already goes fast enough to make you see your life flash before your eyes and see dead relatives ....... I don't think I need it to have more power, I agree with the comment about better drivers ..... i love all of the car companies (jaguar\BMW\Mercedes) that are coming out with cars faster than the QV for 120 - 200 K. If someone produces a faster car for 80 K, I'll be impressed .....
LOL.
What about electric boost, ala Porsche 918?

FWIW: Nio San Jose's EP9 returned home today in a crate. I watched them unload it. 6:46 at the ring is not bad for an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Enough is never enough.

LOL, I think we should write to Sergio about a better sat-nav and backup camera!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would have chosen a V8 option if available at the time of purchase.

I'm hoping there will be a couple of modifications for a little more power/torque feel -- and more of a Ferrari sound (Tubi) in the future.

Waiting patiently...

Steve

·
Registered
423 Posts
As others have said. Different vehicles with different missions.

I wouldn't mind a larger Alfa Romeo sedan to compete with other mid-size heavyweights - CTS-V, M5, E63, etc. Yes, then a V8 would be appropriate.

Even in the C63, the 4.0TT, while being an amazing engine, is a liability in added weight which hurts handling.

It's not Giulia QV vs everything...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Enough is never enough.
seriously??? despite the fact that Ferrari is a completely different entity now, The engine costs around 150k twice as much as the quad. Why don't they offer the La Ferrari engine in it too, they can call it the super veloce?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was driving behind a GT2RS and after a while I couldn't help but think, really wouldn't mind a bit more power in the QV, maybe around 600 odd.

That said, I think they've priced the QV well for what it is and the power it has.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am not going to put much stock in a single race, it's too soon to tell if this thing can beat the Giulia Q more often than not. I suspect it can't, if it could then Mercedes would have done it at the ring and would be plastering that on adds all over the place. Even if it can, the big Merc cost about 30k more.

Regarding the idea of putting a V8 into the Giulia, I doubt that will happen. The current 2.9 is loafing to make it's 505hp, there is no need to move up to a V8 in order to match the Merc in horsepower. If Alfa wants the car to have more power, they can do it any time they want, and without upsetting the balance with a heavier engine.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The Lightning Lap summary has a somewhat hidden detail. The Quadrifoglio that Car and Driver received suffered from fuel starvation while practicing and also during the timed runs. They attempted to better the times by filling the tank in hope that the starving and stumbling issue would go away. But no such luck.

So, deduct 5 seconds from the Quadrifoglio time had the fuel issue not existed. It would easily best the Mercedes had Car and Driver not been given a car with the fuel starvation issue. :)

Hopefully Alfa Romeo has learned their lesson about placing ill-calibrated cars into journalist hands as the Lightning Lap at VIR was done many months ago. Seems like early summer was a bad time for the brand when a couple un-tested cars found their way into the media with issues.

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Lightning Lap summary has a somewhat hidden detail. The Quadrifoglio that Car and Driver received suffered from fuel starvation while practicing and also during the timed runs. They attempted to better the times by filling the tank in hope that the starving and stumbling issue would go away. But no such luck.

So, deduct 5 seconds from the Quadrifoglio time had the fuel issue not existed. It would easily best the Mercedes had Car and Driver not been given a car with the fuel starvation issue. :)

Hopefully Alfa Romeo has learned their lesson about placing ill-calibrated cars into journalist hands as the Lightning Lap at VIR was done many months ago. Seems like early summer was a bad time for the brand when a couple un-tested cars found their way into the media with issues.
Yes Eric, I did read the entire VIR report, and you are correct.
Just stoking the flame!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts