Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All. First post for noobie here.

Any chance or word from Alfa Romeo corporate about making their Q4 all wheel drive system available on the Giulia Quadrifoglio ??

Purists would probably sneer at the idea. But even the upcoming M5 is going all wheel drive. Besides, without four wheel drive Alfa probably couldn't have dominated the 1993 DTM series with their wonderful 155 v6 ti DTM cars.

What do you Alfisti all think about this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would like to see an AWD QV. I think that some enthusiasts don't like the fact that AWD is considered to require less skill to drive than the RWD, similar to the perception of auto trans vs manual. Of course RWD layouts do have legitimate advantages so you can't attribute all of the sentiment to misplaced machismo... Anyways I think there would be a market.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Again..

Q4 on the Quadrifoglio is not planned for the Giulia. Stelvio Quadrifoglio will be Q4.
Ditto this, Stelvio Quad is the solution. Dang MacGeek, you and beating me to the punch today :laugh:

The only other chance of something like this is in some type of intermediary car they may introduce years down the line in their American assault.

·
Supporting Vendor
697 Posts
From a technical standpoint there would be an issue with the dual exhaust and the power takeoff for the front axle, which occupy roughly the same space. I'm sure this could be solved but it's not really as much of a "bolt-in" solution as it would seem at first.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'd be allllll over that. As it is, I think when the lease on my Ti Sport Q4 is up, a used (yikes!) Stelvio Quad may be in my future.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'd be allllll over that. As it is, I think when the lease on my Ti Sport Q4 is up, a used (yikes!) Stelvio Quad may be in my future.
Me to. We have a QV with no intension to sell since we think she is a keeper unless for some reason she becomes a lemon. So we don't care much about resale. However, I have seen some peeps from the forum that they (Alfa) can't give these cars away (yeh right) and oh the reliability (which is unknown) is going to drive down resale prices. Hooray!!! That means I can pick up an alternate as a second car on the cheap. Ti Sport or the Stelvio (not QV). I think while the brand is taking back off again in the states and people have low tolerance for issues it is best to perfect what you have already rather than flooding the line with new models too quickly and have issues that you can't recover from quickly.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Hello to All. First post for noobie here.

Any chance or word from Alfa Romeo corporate about making their Q4 all wheel drive system available on the Giulia Quadrifoglio ??

Purists would probably sneer at the idea. But even the upcoming M5 is going all wheel drive. Besides, without four wheel drive Alfa probably couldn't have dominated the 1993 DTM series with their wonderful 155 v6 ti DTM cars.

What do you Alfisti all think about this?

the upcoming M5 is nothing like its predecessors...but that's for another time.
my only issue with AWD is the added weight....I wonder if @MacGeek could shed some light on the apprx. weight gain.... If I had wanted a bloated AWD sedan I would have bought an RS7 or S8....
IMHO this is what has become the problem with many marques...they have lost their identity...what they were once known for has become lost...they are trying to be all things to all people...ala the new M cars, AMG etc... I guess I am old enough to remember when those "badges" meant something very different than they do now....a "trim package"...
what they should do IMHO is make a 350hp AWD Giulia available in the US market

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
these people make an educated guess of 150 lbs for awd, much less than the six, but if you start adding it all up ...

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa...omeo-stelvio-quadrifoglio-first-drive-review/

at least my bloated sedan will carry stuff and be able to get out of the driveway in winter - but that's more a function of clearance than AWD, which I would have not specified if I had the choice.
the good news is the Alfa awd has (much) less fwd bias than any in the vw empire, including the urus.
M trim packages - in europe even the diesel guys want to gussy their alfa up like a quad

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
these people make an educated guess of 150 lbs for awd, much less than the six, but if you start adding it all up ...

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa...omeo-stelvio-quadrifoglio-first-drive-review/

at least my bloated sedan will carry stuff and be able to get out of the driveway in winter - but that's more a function of clearance than AWD, which I would have not specified if I had the choice.
the good news is the Alfa awd has (much) less fwd bias than any in the vw empire, including the urus.
M trim packages - in europe even the diesel guys want to gussy their alfa up like a quad
I have no issue with a Quad Stelvio...in fact it would seem silly to make a Quad Stelvio and NOT have it be AWD.....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think there would be a market for an AWD Quad (acknowledging Joe Cab's technical concerns as a consideration) as some of us enjoy the rush of MUCHO POWER, but may not be interested in "Tracking" the car (where the added weight would be unacceptable) and would appreciate the added flexibility the AWD set up could give the car (Northeast daily driver for example)....That being said, what I really wish I could have gotten in my Quad is RED SPORT SEATS and a FULL GLASS ROOF....MY INTERIOR IS JUST TOO DARK !!! I think I'm going to one of those aftermarket places with a sawsall and put in a glass flip up moon roof (for those too young to remember this was a common aftermarket mod back in the day) !!!!

>:)>:)>:)>:)

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I think a rwd only stelvio would be great - but I'm not holding my breath for one. a guilia quad q4 will happen before that does.
there was a fellow on bot recently commenting that the alfetta gt was the best car he had ever driven in snow, due to it's fine balance - I agree with him, and would gladly shed the weight, but not the wait ...

·
Registered
423 Posts
AWD has its time & place, but after years of driving Evos, I'm ready for RWD.

For a long time I wanted a GT-R as my next car, but I've come to realize that AWD isn't necessarily better.

Sure you can brag about impossible 0-60 times, but IMO, you'll still miss some pure steering/handling response that only comes from RWD.

There's a reason Porsche still does GT3 models in RWD only, sure a 911 Turbo is quicker, but something is lost in translation when adding AWD, even amongst the best sports cars.

RWD Cadillac CTS-V still wins Car&Driver comparo in "fun-to-drive/handling" category amongst mid-size sedans, which, IMO is the ONLY category when comparing performance cars. But of course it lost to M5/E63 & they have AWD. But that's a sign of the times. Pure drivers car=RWD.

·
Registered
203 Posts
the upcoming M5 is nothing like its predecessors...but that's for another time.
my only issue with AWD is the added weight....I wonder if @MacGeek could shed some light on the apprx. weight gain.... If I had wanted a bloated AWD sedan I would have bought an RS7 or S8....
IMHO this is what has become the problem with many marques...they have lost their identity...what they were once known for has become lost...they are trying to be all things to all people...ala the new M cars, AMG etc... I guess I am old enough to remember when those "badges" meant something very different than they do now....a "trim package"...
what they should do IMHO is make a 350hp AWD Giulia available in the US market
This is what I have: a 350HP (Eurocompulsion Phase 1) AWD Giulia with LSD/active suspension and the same wheel/tire package as the QV. The tune and tire package cost about $4,000 in addition to the $50k sticker. I think this is a sweet spot for a street driven car. The Quad was just too exotic to drive all year round where I live. I have all the handling and more than enough power for the street. The AWD is always RWD until the rear breaks loose.

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is what I have: a 350HP (Eurocompulsion Phase 1) AWD Giulia with LSD/active suspension and the same wheel/tire package as the QV. The tune and tire package cost about $4,000 in addition to the $50k sticker. I think this is a sweet spot for a street driven car. The Quad was just too exotic to drive all year round where I live. I have all the handling and more than enough power for the street. The AWD is always RWD until the rear breaks loose.
Your car & mods do sound like the sweet spot. That's why when I had to have one car do it all the Evo fit the bill so well. But...that doesn't mean the QV or RWD isn't better.

IMO, I don't think the QV would be improved with AWD. Adding traction shouldn't come at the expense of added weight & blunted steering response.

Just use the right tool for the job. AWD is a compromise since a majority of the time it isn't needed. But, in climates like ours, if it's your only vehicle, perhaps that compromise is acceptable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts