Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been going back and forth on whether to pull the trigger on the Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio for the past 6 months. Overtime I see a new review or youtube video, I want the car, but when i think of the lousy winter weather, or go through a snowfall - we just got dumped on this weekend and are at -35C with the windchill, I keep thinking the smart move is to wait for the Stelvio Quadrifoglio for the AWD.

Anyway, i wanted to get some advice on those who have purchased the car and had the following questions:
1) Are the tires that are included summer or all season? On the Alfa Romeo site it lists the tire as 3 season tires, not sure what that means??? I tend to go to the mountains a lot and driving to Logan's pass in late June/early july, you can still experience snow, so I am leary about getting summer tires - even thought it is a performance car that really would handle better with the summers.

2) those that are in snowy climates, are you driving the car in winter with winter tires? How does the car handle in snow and ice with winter tires?? My last three cars and SUV's have all been AWD, and prior to that all of my cars where FWD, so really don't know what to expect from a 500HP RWD in snowy/icy conditions.

3) for those that purchased winter tires/rim sets. Did you get them from Alfa and are they Alfa romeo rims? One of the dealers i contacted said that the Alfa winter tire/rim set is $5900 (that's almost twice what i paid for my BMW and Lexus). Another dealer from BC said they don't stock winter tire/rims, but have ordered Michelin winter tires and non-Alfa rims, because they Alfa's are ridiculously expensive.

4) Is Apple/Android Car play the only real difference between the 2017 and 2018 cars??? One of the out of province dealers I contacted has a 2017 in stock, or coming in that he is willing to sell at a discount, he also said that he is expecting a 2018 that has the colour i'm looking for coming in stock in February (my local dealer didn't return my emails inquiries through the Alfa Romeo canadian website which is kind of frustrating).

5) What options are worth getting - In the 2018 model, i was only looking at adding the Driver Assistance Dynamic Package, Carbon Fibre Alcantara steering and Misano Blue Metallic colour. One of the youtube videos i saw said that the ceramic brakes are nice ($7500) , but unless you are going to be tracking the car, not necessary and also said that the regular seats are great and there is no need to get the nicer, but expensive Sparco racing seats ($3200). After sending out 4 inquiries without response, i finally called my local dealer and he said that he will be getting some 2017 models in stock - 3 with both the Sparco racing seats and Ceramic brakes and 2 with just the Sparco racing seats. He said he hasn't even received, or had anyone order a Quadrifoglio with at least the Sparco racing seats. Are those must have with this car?? I had the BMW 335xi with the sports seats (side bolsters and slide front slide out bolsters for thought support, which were like a $900 option. Do the standard seats have side and thigh support???

6) What is the overall dealer experience. There is only one Alfa dealer in my city (i believe it is also the only one in the province), the other two close by one's are in other provinces and are both over 1000km away. I'm kind of leary buying from a dealer hasn't even been very responsive to inquires to buy the car - which doesn't seem to hold much promise for after sales service. One of the out of province dealers also said that he has had a lot of people from my city contact him and buy from him, because of dissatisfaction from the dealer in town.

7) what has been the after purchase experience with he car - any issues??? The dealer - who has the after sale experience been with the dealer??? I had a lousy experience with my 2008 BMW 335xi. It was in the shop twice for around 2 weeks - the first time the dealer rented me a Ford Festiva and the second time (after I complained), a Traverse. I bought the car and winter tire set for $69k and sold it for around $30k only 2 1/2 years later. I had constant issues and there were 4 separate recalls - none of which resolved the issues. I'd like to know if there are any major issues people have had and how well/bad they were taken care of by a dealer.

I'm not someone who would normally buy a car without test driving and its hard to make a decision when the dealers have said that there are no Quads available to test drive or even look at prior to purchasing.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry for a slightly off post here. Maybe you are in Calgary? Have you thought of going to Edmonton or flying to Vancouver or Seattle for a test drive? Just hope you end up with this wonderful car to your likes and proper tires for your needs. I'm in Seattle and leave my base Giulia Q4 in the garage for snow and drive my older car. There are lots of great guys with QV's here who already have lots of experience in snow recently. They will hopefully chime in soon.

BTW, I haven't been to Logan Pass (Going To The Sun), etc., since I was about 8, 65 years ago. A wonderful trip trip I will never forget. Dad was raised in Conrad and Mom grew up in Whitefish. I have skied Big Mountain and traveled MT & BC a lot over the years. I've promised my wife we'll go to back to Glacier soon. God's Country!

Welcome and best of luck with your Quadrifoglio. You'll love it!
Chuck

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Lots to answer here.....I'm in NY (Long Island) ...we get a fair amount of snow but not sure where you're from...if you're in Syracuse, Buffalo for example, my winter experience pales in comparison...so knowing where you are from would help...

As for the stock tires, they are extremely gripy Pirelli Corsas....I put 2500 miles on mine and sold them...great tires but with a very limited temperature band...would not work that great below, let's say 30 degrees.... I bought a second set of barely used 5 hole rims from another forum member who was not as fond of the aesthetic (and the slightly greater weight- he purchased the bright Technicas)...so I could have bought dedicated winter tires and put them on those rims but I actually bought the rims for insurance (in
case I bend or damage one) ...so I put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on and although not as gripy as the Pirellis, they are more than adequate for my use and will fare much better in the winter...

If we get significant snow accumulations, the Quad is staying in the garage ...it's that simple...I have other vehicles I can use that are AWD to get me to and from my office...any RWD car (esp a car with that much HP) is going to be challenging to drive in significant snow - 4 or 5 inches...In addition, clearance is not great and if you rip anything out from under the belly of this beast it can get pricey (ask Simey)..

So, I think I've covered tires and rims....Next

2017 vs 2018....In the beginning, I was worried (slightly) if I would be a "beta tester" but I dove in head first because I fell in love with this car...I just couldn't wait....and I'm glad to say that it's been amazing.
I believe the Apple Car Play / Android stuff is the only relevant (if that's important to you) difference. There is a trunk tie down package that was not offered for 2017... I'm not aware of colors and equipment differences for 2018 models...

Important options....Like you I got the Carbon Fiber steering wheel (a work of art and something you stare and hold every time- a bargain at $400). I also got all the collision avoidance available options (Infrared windshield, pedestrian this, collision avoidance that, adaptive cruise control this, etc, etc), I also did not get the Sparco seats (although I love the Carbon fiber back ! ) I need heated seats and I found the stock sport seats to be way more comfortable with great bolstering and even thigh extension (when I ordered the option was $2200...it may have gone up), I did get the Carbon Ceramic brakes ($8000 option) because at the time I ordered, you couldn't default out of them so I got them begrudgingly....Also, had I ordered the car just 2 weeks earlier the CCB option was $5000 !!! I was a bit put off by this but I must say the brakes are amazing and they look very sinister (MASSIVE ROTORS)...also very little if any brake dust and no noise at all !!!! I also added the car cover...I also didn't pay over MSRP, which was common back then....

My dealer has been very responsive...when I needed the updates he got me in first thing in the morning by the time I had breakfast in a local eatery, the car was ready

The car has been bulletproof....no issues at all....needed a software update to clear a CEL but that was it..

Hope this helps..Ultimately as to whether or not you need a Stelvio Quad or the Giulia Quad, it depends on where you are located and how much snow you'll be dealing with....Good luck...D

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
in your general area (guessing Calgary) I've seen snow as late as May 19 and as early as Sept 1, and that's on the flats. Opinion here, but for a primary vehicle, especially with mountain trips, all season tires would be the way to go.

I will disagree with the good Dr. on RWD, especially with all the electronic controls. Put it in A or N, and it's just not going to be like an old firebird 400. This is a balanced car, and that pays off in the snow ..

BUT if you have never had a RWD vehicle, haven't developed reactions for one over time, you would likely be happier/safer with AWD.
and you would likely appreciate more ground clearance than the giulia Q has.

so if you have enjoyed having SUVs for whatever reason, waiting would make sense, or a 4 cyl stelvio. you ain't going to be using 500 hp going to the sun, even in perfect weather.
if you are looking to get back in a car, then a giulia q4 might be more than fine, you'll have more ground clearance and the security of a vehicle that handles more like what you know.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think @Alfaholico answered most of your questions but I’ll add a couple things.
I live in North Carolina and I still opted to get alternate tires for the winter. The Corsas are not meant for low temps. In your climate I’d get winter tires I think. I ordered an extra set of factory rims off of eBay for a very reasonable price. I haven’t received them yet so it remains to be seen how good of a deal it really was.
Personally, if I lived in the North I probably wouldn’t get the QV as an only car. It’s very low to the ground and first time you hit some packed snow it could be a problem. Also I’ve seen what prolonged exposure to road salt does to cars.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'll keep it simple. Buy an SUV for winter and QV for the rest of the time.

I've spent many a winter day in Calgary and the only thing I'd drive is a 4x4 SUV or truck.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
calgary does not get a lot of snow; there are plenty of reasons for having trucks/suvs/awd, but snow depth in calgary isn't one of them.
any car with normal clearance and suitable tires is absolutely fine.
the issue there is when you may receive a few inches.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Salt, Ice, Snow frigid temps.

All reasons to get SUV there.

Wait for Stelvio Quad--best of all worlds.

Since OP lives there he would know best. I've spent 30-40 days in Calgary during dead of winter--not one time did anyone I was with drive a sports car while I was there.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I grew up there
I still have family there, and still go there.
I drove a tr-3, a spitfire, a 911, a jag 140, an Alfetta, and a whole lot of other vehicles there.
family members - alfa spider, tr4, 914, 124, mgb, and on and on. friends, you name it
all through winter, many without winter tires.
canvas tops and side curtains suck in the cold up there, but they don't make you get stuck. salt ice, frigid temps are not reasons to get an suv. deep snow is.
putting a veyron in a marsh on a flat dry straight does, and although I don't know that was you, I'm sure you are capable of it.
who you were/are with and what they choose to drive is quite irrelevant to anything.

·
Registered
271 Posts
who you were/are with and what they choose to drive is quite irrelevant to anything.
Oh ok. I know your opinion once again is the only one that matters.

I'll let them know that and thanks for another great reply.

OP sorry about some getting this thread off rail once again...let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"how does the car handle on snow and ice"

he knows it's a car, he's had cars before, just not RWD, and perhaps not as low.

three of your four reasons are assinine, and the 4th probably isn't an issue for him or he wouldn't be considering the car in the first place.

I'm waiting for a stelvio quad, but the rwd car we have is fine for MA ice, snow (more than calgary) and temps. salt sucks no matter what you drive.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I bought a QV here in the Northeast because I already have an SUV for the snowy winters......

If I had to only have one DD all year around I would, no question, bought a Stelvio QV........

Now, I don't know if in the Stelvio you can shut traction control in Race mode, but that is a different issue altogether.....

Good luck in your decision.......

BTW, a set of Alfa 5 hole dark wheels and Michelin Alpin ran me $3200 mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for a slightly off post here. Maybe you are in Calgary? Have you thought of going to Edmonton or flying to Vancouver or Seattle for a test drive? Just hope you end up with this wonderful car to your likes and proper tires for your needs. I'm in Seattle and leave my base Giulia Q4 in the garage for snow and drive my older car. There are lots of great guys with QV's here who already have lots of experience in snow recently. They will hopefully chime in soon.

BTW, I haven't been to Logan Pass (Going To The Sun), etc., since I was about 8, 65 years ago. A wonderful trip trip I will never forget. Dad was raised in Conrad and Mom grew up in Whitefish. I have skied Big Mountain and traveled MT & BC a lot over the years. I've promised my wife we'll go to back to Glacier soon. God's Country!

Welcome and best of luck with your Quadrifoglio. You'll love it!
Chuck
Yep, in Calgary. the Vancouver and Saskatoon dealers have actually contacted me when i send in a request for a web quote, but neither have cars available for test drive. My car will be a daily commute car for me year-round - so it won't see much garage time, except at nights and when its in the parkade at work.:wink2:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Salt, Ice, Snow frigid temps.

All reasons to get SUV there.

Wait for Stelvio Quad--best of all worlds.

Since OP lives there he would know best. I've spent 30-40 days in Calgary during dead of winter--not one time did anyone I was with drive a sports car while I was there.
what he said. or get a cheap but capable suv and keep the quadrifoglio as a fair weather car to enjoy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Lots to answer here.....I'm in NY (Long Island) ...we get a fair amount of snow but not sure where you're from...if you're in Syracuse, Buffalo for example, my winter experience pales in comparison...so knowing where you are from would help...

As for the stock tires, they are extremely gripy Pirelli Corsas....I put 2500 miles on mine and sold them...great tires but with a very limited temperature band...would not work that great below, let's say 30 degrees.... I bought a second set of barely used 5 hole rims from another forum member who was not as fond of the aesthetic (and the slightly greater weight- he purchased the bright Technicas)...so I could have bought dedicated winter tires and put them on those rims but I actually bought the rims for insurance (in
case I bend or damage one) ...so I put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on and although not as gripy as the Pirellis, they are more than adequate for my use and will fare much better in the winter...

If we get significant snow accumulations, the Quad is staying in the garage ...it's that simple...I have other vehicles I can use that are AWD to get me to and from my office...any RWD car (esp a car with that much HP) is going to be challenging to drive in significant snow - 4 or 5 inches...In addition, clearance is not great and if you rip anything out from under the belly of this beast it can get pricey (ask Simey)..

So, I think I've covered tires and rims....Next

2017 vs 2018....In the beginning, I was worried (slightly) if I would be a "beta tester" but I dove in head first because I fell in love with this car...I just couldn't wait....and I'm glad to say that it's been amazing.
I believe the Apple Car Play / Android stuff is the only relevant (if that's important to you) difference. There is a trunk tie down package that was not offered for 2017... I'm not aware of colors and equipment differences for 2018 models...

Important options....Like you I got the Carbon Fiber steering wheel (a work of art and something you stare and hold every time- a bargain at $400). I also got all the collision avoidance available options (Infrared windshield, pedestrian this, collision avoidance that, adaptive cruise control this, etc, etc), I also did not get the Sparco seats (although I love the Carbon fiber back ! ) I need heated seats and I found the stock sport seats to be way more comfortable with great bolstering and even thigh extension (when I ordered the option was $2200...it may have gone up), I did get the Carbon Ceramic brakes ($8000 option) because at the time I ordered, you couldn't default out of them so I got them begrudgingly....Also, had I ordered the car just 2 weeks earlier the CCB option was $5000 !!! I was a bit put off by this but I must say the brakes are amazing and they look very sinister (MASSIVE ROTORS)...also very little if any brake dust and no noise at all !!!! I also added the car cover...I also didn't pay over MSRP, which was common back then....

My dealer has been very responsive...when I needed the updates he got me in first thing in the morning by the time I had breakfast in a local eatery, the car was ready

The car has been bulletproof....no issues at all....needed a software update to clear a CEL but that was it..

Hope this helps..Ultimately as to whether or not you need a Stelvio Quad or the Giulia Quad, it depends on where you are located and how much snow you'll be dealing with....Good luck...D
Thanks so much for the very detailed response!
I'm in Calgary. We don't get dumped like Buffalo does in sheer volume of snow, but we do have 6-7 inches on a regular basis and roads are usually icey for a big chunk of the winter. I live just outside of town, so have a country road and highway as part of my commute.

I really like the Stelvio Quad but Canada is only getting a total of 9 next year and from what i have heard, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal will be the only ones getting them in the first half of the year and have been allowed pretty much the bulk of the Canadian quota. So it's going to be a long wait. I can get into a Guilia Quad within 2 months, the Stelvio Quad sounds like its going to be a year because of the low Canadian allotment.

I actually wanted/needed to change cars last year and have been holding off for the last 2 years. First it was to get a chance to test drive the Jaguar F-Pace. Tried getting one last year, but it was a long wait list for the S sport model and than after hearing a lot of negative reviews about the nav system shutting down the car, I wanted to wait. Than when I read about the Guilia Quad, i have been waiting and going back on forth on the RWD concerns.

With respect to Ceramic brakes, do they last longer? I don't really want to have to spend another $6500 to replace them, if they have the same life as regular brakes!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
in your general area (guessing Calgary) I've seen snow as late as May 19 and as early as Sept 1, and that's on the flats. Opinion here, but for a primary vehicle, especially with mountain trips, all season tires would be the way to go.

I will disagree with the good Dr. on RWD, especially with all the electronic controls. Put it in A or N, and it's just not going to be like an old firebird 400. This is a balanced car, and that pays off in the snow ..

BUT if you have never had a RWD vehicle, haven't developed reactions for one over time, you would likely be happier/safer with AWD.
and you would likely appreciate more ground clearance than the giulia Q has.

so if you have enjoyed having SUVs for whatever reason, waiting would make sense, or a 4 cyl stelvio. you ain't going to be using 500 hp going to the sun, even in perfect weather.
if you are looking to get back in a car, then a giulia q4 might be more than fine, you'll have more ground clearance and the security of a vehicle that handles more like what you know.
I don't really enjoy SUV's - I had to sell my BMW 335xi because i couldn't fit a double stroller in it and considering the reliability issues with it, i switched to a Lexus baby mobile0:) Now that the luggage space isn't as much a concern i'd like to get back to a more fun car. With most performance oriented sedans/coupes, the only ones offering AWD is Audi - Although the new M5 has got AWD, but that will cost around $30K more than the Guilia Quad. The audi's don't have the same appeal as the Gulia Quad

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think @Alfaholico answered most of your questions but I’ll add a couple things.
I live in North Carolina and I still opted to get alternate tires for the winter. The Corsas are not meant for low temps. In your climate I’d get winter tires I think. I ordered an extra set of factory rims off of eBay for a very reasonable price. I haven’t received them yet so it remains to be seen how good of a deal it really was.
Personally, if I lived in the North I probably wouldn’t get the QV as an only car. It’s very low to the ground and first time you hit some packed snow it could be a problem. Also I’ve seen what prolonged exposure to road salt does to cars.
Thanks for bringing up the low ground clearance as another potential consideration. Is the low ground clearance an issue with large community speed bumps? When I first moved to where we live, i didn't notice them in the winter and even scraped my SUV going over at high speed. It's not an issue in the SUV as long as you slow down. Will they be an issue with the Guilia? Something else to ponder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll keep it simple. Buy an SUV for winter and QV for the rest of the time.

I've spent many a winter day in Calgary and the only thing I'd drive is a 4x4 SUV or truck.
I'd have a hard time justifying getting a car i need to park in the winter to the wife.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'd have a hard time justifying getting a car i need to park in the winter to the wife.
Understood--that's why I got rid of mine (wife that is ) :wink2:

What do most people drive there in winter? If they drive sedans with winter tires then there you go. But man I'd want at least AWD, but not to happen on Quad.

Will be curious with that you decide.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts