Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a drop link replaced on front suspension on my 2017 QV. The symptoms were a knocking noise when driving slowly over undulating surface. Now I have a very similar sound but from the rear. The car had an MOT in March and I asked them to check out the noise. They said it was nothing obvious and further investigative work would be required. I have the Alfa extended warranty which may or may not cover the cost depending on what the problem is.
Its a definite suspension type knocking sound, not a rattle.
Anyone had a similar problem with the rear?

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,933 Posts
And you're sure it's not the Ackermann angle?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same issue and have my car going in for service to see if they can find it. I’ll keep you posted, and im going to check the battery tomorrow just To be safe .

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You have to drop the rear cover to investigate further and that is a huge pain in the ass. Good luck and keep us posted what all you find. I know there was a report on the forum here that said one of their control arm bushings went bad and was leaking fluid, I would think you can look under the car to see if anything is wet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update on the knocking, they replaced the rear drop link. I had been telling them it was an identical sound to the front one that needed replacing. The only sure way to diagnose is to disconnect and drive it and see if knocking disappears. Anyway all good now.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
434 Posts
I had a drop link replaced on front suspension on my 2017 QV. The symptoms were a knocking noise when driving slowly over undulating surface. Now I have a very similar sound but from the rear. The car had an MOT in March and I asked them to check out the noise. They said it was nothing obvious and further investigative work would be required. I have the Alfa extended warranty which may or may not cover the cost depending on what the problem is.
Its a definite suspension type knocking sound, not a rattle.
Anyone had a similar problem with the rear?
Oh wow, I just heard that knock on mine (2017 QV) when slowly turning in an uneven parking lot.
Came from the front passenger side.
Was it covered under warranty?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,626 Posts
An update on the knocking, they replaced the rear drop link. I had been telling them it was an identical sound to the front one that needed replacing. The only sure way to diagnose is to disconnect and drive it and see if knocking disappears. Anyway all good now.
By drop link do you mean the antisway bar links? Replacement seems to be close to being a regular maintenance item in Alfas for many years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh wow, I just heard that knock on mine (2017 QV) when slowly turning in an uneven parking lot.
Came from the front passenger side.
Was it covered under warranty?
It was covered by my extended warranty. Symptoms for both my front and rear worn drop links were a knocking noise from suspension when driving slowing over an undulating or rough surface. Not related to turning.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,626 Posts
They called it a drop link, as they did when replacing the front one.
Online search indicates that "drop link" is a term used in the UK and not elsewhere.
Same part failed in my Mazda Protégé, although after 120,000 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts