Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

161 - 180 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm starting to maybe look at an extended warranty now as well as i basically have a year left from factory. I have only asked the dealership for that thus far....Do these companies you guys speak of, are they only for US residents? As a Canadian, what other options do i have besides warranty from Alfa?

·
Registered
305 Posts
One thing to note, the prices of some of these go up a lot if you're close to the end of the factory warranty. It's better to buy early, then pay a small fee to cancel if you wind up never using it because you don't own the car anymore.

On my old M3 I got an EasyCare warranty (susprised no one talks about them here) and the guy told me outright that the quoted price of the warranty climbs quickly the closer you are to the end of the warranty even with everything else being the same. The logic/profiling is simple... the person who buys a warranty early on plans to keep the car running well for a long time, doing all maintenance, etc compared to someone who decides to buy at the end of the warranty term. EasyCare was great, at least with my M3, They covered over $17k of repairs in their warranty period. I did wait 1-2 days a couple of time for the major repairs (the AC evaporator in the E90... always goes and requires dash removal and the replacement of the engine and transmission seals) for the rep to come out and look, but it was always approved.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
We got the 10 year warranty when we purchased the QV in 2018. It was Alfa Extended and the price was cheaper than a 6 year on my 2019 X5 50i M Performance. I think it is well worth it and there is a better chance we will keep the QV for the full 10 years and beyond then the BMW :)

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
One thing to note, the prices of some of these go up a lot if you're close to the end of the factory warranty. It's better to buy early, then pay a small fee to cancel if you wind up never using it because you don't own the car anymore.

On my old M3 I got an EasyCare warranty (susprised no one talks about them here) and the guy told me outright that the quoted price of the warranty climbs quickly the closer you are to the end of the warranty even with everything else being the same. The logic/profiling is simple... the person who buys a warranty early on plans to keep the car running well for a long time, doing all maintenance, etc compared to someone who decides to buy at the end of the warranty term. EasyCare was great, at least with my M3, They covered over $17k of repairs in their warranty period. I did wait 1-2 days a couple of time for the major repairs (the AC evaporator in the E90... always goes and requires dash removal and the replacement of the engine and transmission seals) for the rep to come out and look, but it was always approved.
Okay. The comment on the M3 has me scared. First BMW and i am more concerned about repairs after the 6 or 7 year extended on things that rrally shouldn’t break. $17k of repairs is great you had coverage but concerned that the BMW is that unreliable AC always goes. REALLY. People talk about concern about Alfa reliability i would say an A/C evaporator along with major tranny repairs. I could see that after 150k miles which. Is out of warranty anyway. Sorry i bought a BMW as the second car. Should have gotten the Stelvio or gone with the Subaru dog tested dog approved and probably does not need an ac repair

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes it was 17k of repairs at the dealer. I had two major leaks, one of which required pulling out the dct. That and the evaporator core were the 2 biggest issues. Others were 2 power door lock fails, leaking valve cover gaskets, o2 sensor fail, battery fail (2nd one which failed the same way as first).
I felt like I got a smoking deal on the warranty and made out very well overall.
BTW all those repairs were between years 4 and 8.5. The car was very reliable the first 4 years.
I had a 535i that was even worse...but I ditched it within warranty. That car...new transmission, three turbo replacements, two different fuel pump failures (both of which forced a limp home mode) ECU replacement, coolant leaks (2), steering rack replacement, sunroof motor, power window motor...all within 4 years. I got stranded in that car 4 times within 4 years (well, technically, when the transmission failed it would still go, but only in first gear... maybe it was second, but whatever it was it wouldn't shift).

·
Registered
305 Posts
We got the 10 year warranty when we purchased the QV in 2018. It was Alfa Extended and the price was cheaper than a 6 year on my 2019 X5 50i M Performance. I think it is well worth it and there is a better chance we will keep the QV for the full 10 years and beyond then the BMW :)
Wow, 10 years? That’s amazing. Who was it through?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Getting ready to pull the trigger on an extended warranty. Most likely will go with 8 years/100k miles based on my current usage.

First a question; for those that went with zeigler, is this the site you used? chryslerfactoryplans .com I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any results for 'zeigler'.

Second a list; hopefully my research will help others. The list is incomplete, the dollars are rounded up to the nearest 100, the miles are rounded down to the nearest 1000, and it is tailored to my usage, but here you go:

7 years/100k equates to 14k miles a year, or 15k a year if I buy the warranty now
8/100=12;13
8/125=15;17

-Miller motor cars Greenwich:
Don't remember type or deductible, but will find out as this is the cheapest I've found so far
7/100K is $4100 ($3550 + $550 inspection)

-Zeigler: Chryslerfactoryplans.com
Max care
100 deductible:
7/100K is $5900
8/100K is $6700
8/125K is $8300
200ded:
7/100K is $5400
8/100K is $6000
8/125k is $7600

-Chryslerwarrantys.com
Max care
100ded:
7/100K is $6000
8/100K is $6800
8/125K is $8500
200ded:
7/100K is $5500
8/100K is $6100
8/125k is $7800

-Clay Robbins
Max care
100ded
8/100K is $6300
8/125K is $7900

-White plains Alfa
All I remember the guy saying was that it was a Mopar warranty.
100ded:
9/108K is $3500
0ded:
9/108K is $4450
This seems suspicious to me since no one else mentioned 9/108. The way he said it was an extra 5/60k but I think he got it wrong and that's total ownership, not additional. I checked the zeigler website and the prices above match those of the 5 year/60k total, so I'm fairly certain he was wrong.

-Larchmont alfa
Max care
100 ded:
7/100K is $7000
8/125K is $9000

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
292 Posts
I recently used Clay Robbins for the max care 8/60 and tire and wheel hazard protection 7-year for my 2019. He discounted $50 off each plan when I purchased at the same time. Clay seems to be the lowest cost for the FCA warranties. The Ziegler entity is chryslerfactoryplans .com.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just purchased an 8/75K $100 ded from Clay. He had the best price.
Hey Chymerix you mind sharing cost of the plan you purchased? I got a quote from clay for same plan last November for $3450. I know they tend to increase every January. Wondering how much it might have gone up.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Looking at the numbers again if Miller doesn't work out I'll go with clay

·
Registered
671 Posts
@Monk I got a - Mopar Maximum Care 7/85 for $2660 from Robbins about a year and a half ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
For those that went with clay, how does the process work if you're not in person? Miller said an inspection was need so I'm wondering about that.

·
Registered
671 Posts
For those that went with clay, how does the process work if you're not in person? Miller said an inspection was need so I'm wondering about that.
No inspection was needed for me. If they're requiring inspection, be sure it's a Mopar Maximum Care warranty.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey Chymerix you mind sharing cost of the plan you purchased? I got a quote from clay for same plan last November for $3450. I know they tend to increase every January. Wondering how much it might have gone up.
$3400. No inspection required.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
292 Posts
Last week's price was $2705 for 8/60 from Clay (with the $50 discount). Communicated via email, then provided the cc by phone. Very easy to deal with.

I think the prices go up every 6 months or so. IMO it's a no brainer if you are planning to keep the car for longer than the warranty term. One repair of almost anything could be thousands.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just a word of caution. I am now in an extended FCA warranty. $200 deductible and turns out not everything is covered. The relay for my battery failed. Not sure if that's the term for it but this is the second time. This cuts off the rear defroster and the heated mirrors. Also the trunk release for the back seat failed. Turns out the trunk release cost is $196, do the 200 deductible is over the cost, and the relay isn't covered in the warranty. Total savings front the warranty: $0.00.

Just be aware...

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
292 Posts
Is that the Maximum Care warranty? The battery relay is not an excluded part. Battery is, though:

Battery and cables; any battery for a component; spark plugs and wires; lights (bulb, sealed beams, lenses); suspension alignment; wheel balancing; wiper blades; catalytic converter, particulate filter and any other exhaust system components; heat shields and exhaust hangers; throttle body cleaning; evaporator deodorizing; carbon cleaning; • High voltage battery is not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure);

Nothing there about the relay not being covered, if you have Max Care I would dispute with Mopar. The deductible is a direct cost, of course.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just a word of caution. I am now in an extended FCA warranty. $200 deductible and turns out not everything is covered. The relay for my battery failed. Not sure if that's the term for it but this is the second time. This cuts off the rear defroster and the heated mirrors. Also the trunk release for the back seat failed. Turns out the trunk release cost is $196, do the 200 deductible is over the cost, and the relay isn't covered in the warranty. Total savings front the warranty: $0.00.

Just be aware...
Some of the battery related items are listed in the exclusions. If you're considering the warranty, I highly recommend you read over every word in the fine print before providing payment. The main reason I purchased the warranty is so I'm covered if any big ticket items—such as major engine and/or transmission work—are needed.

161 - 180 of 241 Posts