Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
321 - 340 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Quad Montecarlo Blue
47 Posts
you got a policy from clay Williams that effectively goes beyond 8 years since time of original purchase?
About to. The car is 4 years old and based on the ViN, these are the numbers he offered. The policy can cover cars up to 10 years old.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,991 Posts
I believe it's from original purchase date of first owner, based on when I researched/bought my extended warranty, but you should definitely clarify with clay

·
Registered
152 Posts
Correct. Warranty starts at the date the vehicule is sold, not the manufacturing date. Mine was built 01/18 but sold 02/19, warranty started then.

·
Registered
453 Posts
About to. The car is 4 years old and based on the ViN, these are the numbers he offered. The policy can cover cars up to 10 years old.
I think it’s only “10 years” if the original owner bought new old stock, meaning a car that was sitting on a lot for a long time. If somehow you’re able to get a warranty from them that’s longer than 8 years after the initial in service date, I’m really interested…

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV
19 Posts
I think it’s only “10 years” if the original owner bought new old stock, meaning a car that was sitting on a lot for a long time. If somehow you’re able to get a warranty from them that’s longer than 8 years after the initial in service date, I’m really interested…
Per my discussions with multiple dealers, to include Alfa of Seattle, Clay Robbins, Eau Claire (chryslerwarrantys.com), and at least two others, he’s completely right. There are also several examples of it earlier in this thread.

There are apparently two different types of extended warranty plans offered by Mopar for our cars. Note that I’m not referring to the difference between maximum care and added care plus, as those are coverage options once you’ve settled on a particular plan.

The first option is if you are the original owner of the car. You can buy an extended warranty for the car, however it will be based on the original in-service date, so a five year extended warranty would only cover five years from in-service.

The second option is if you bought the car used. The used car plans are valid from the date of plan purchase, meaning that a five year/60k plan would last five years from when you bought the warranty.

Note that not all dealers are familiar with the existence of the used car plans. I originally thought it was too good to be true, but I have a sample contract from Alfa of Seattle in hand that confirms the warranty will last five years from plan purchase date.

Like many others in this thread have said, Clay Robbins is really easy to work with, and he has been able to beat everyone else’s pricing so far.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Per my discussions with multiple dealers, to include Alfa of Seattle, Clay Robbins, Eau Claire (chryslerwarrantys.com), and at least two others, he’s completely right. There are also several examples of it earlier in this thread.

There are apparently two different types of extended warranty plans offered by Mopar for our cars. Note that I’m not referring to the difference between maximum care and added care plus, as those are coverage options once you’ve settled on a particular plan.

The first option is if you are the original owner of the car. You can buy an extended warranty for the car, however it will be based on the original in-service date, so a five year extended warranty would only cover five years from in-service.

The second option is if you bought the car used. The used car plans are valid from the date of plan purchase, meaning that a five year/60k plan would last five years from when you bought the warranty.

Note that not all dealers are familiar with the existence of the used car plans. I originally thought it was too good to be true, but I have a sample contract from Alfa of Seattle in hand that confirms the warranty will last five years from plan purchase date.

Like many others in this thread have said, Clay Robbins is really easy to work with, and he has been able to beat everyone else’s pricing so far.
what kind of plan is it that gives you coverage for over 8 years relative to the in service date? what are the details of this plan and the company name? hard to believe an independent company would write a policy covering a 10 year old Alfa Romeo. All joking aside, it’s a safe bet within 10 years there will be major repairs needed and who knows what the part situation will be like…. seems hard to believe you could get such a policy at least not without spending a ton.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV
19 Posts
what kind of plan is it that gives you coverage for over 8 years relative to the in service date? what are the details of this plan and the company name? hard to believe an independent company would write a policy covering a 10 year old Alfa Romeo. All joking aside, it’s a safe bet within 10 years there will be major repairs needed and who knows what the part situation will be like…. seems hard to believe you could get such a policy at least not without spending a ton.
It’s an official Alfa Romeo (Mopar) plan, not an independent company. Go to Official Mopar Vehicle Protection | Powered by Mopar and look at their used car plans. They don’t have prices listed, because it’s only sold directly through the dealers. Clay Robbins’s contact information is earlier in the thread, but you could ask any Alfa dealer (and at least some Mopar non-Alfa dealers).

I guess it depends on what you consider a ton of money. I was quoted $4790 for a 5 year / 75,000 mile Mopar maximum care plan with a $200 deductible by Clay Robbins.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It’s an official Alfa Romeo (Mopar) plan, not an independent company. Go to Official Mopar Vehicle Protection | Powered by Mopar and look at their used car plans. They don’t have prices listed, because it’s only sold directly through the dealers. Clay Robbins’s contact information is earlier in the thread, but you could ask any Alfa dealer (and at least some Mopar non-Alfa dealers).

I guess it depends on what you consider a ton of money. I was quoted $4790 for a 5 year / 75,000 mile Mopar maximum care plan with a $200 deductible by Clay Robbins.
so these brokers like clay Robbins will write a max care policy on a used car, even if you’re not the original owner, for a longer duration than 8 years from the in service date but won’t do it on a new car? That really makes no sense to me, I have to think it’s always more favorable for an underwriter to have the original owner buy an extended warranty long before the factory warranty runs out, rather than a 2nd owner right as the original factory policy is expiring.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV
19 Posts
so these brokers like clay Robbins will write a max care policy on a used car, even if you’re not the original owner, for a longer duration than 8 years from the in service date but won’t do it on a new car? That really makes no sense to me, I have to think it’s always more favorable for an underwriter to have the original owner buy an extended warranty long before the factory warranty runs out, rather than a 2nd owner right as the original factory policy is expiring.
I think you must be confused. None of the people I mentioned are “brokers”, they’re simply FCA dealerships selling the policies that Mopar gives them to sell. They aren’t the ones writing the policies, just the middlemen between you and Mopar. Mopar sets the governing terms for the extended warranties, and Mopar is who you deal with when your car needs servicing, which is why you can bring your car to any Alfa dealer for servicing under the plans.

I understand your skepticism, as I went through the same thought process when I started my research. I’m not sure why Mopar decided to have two separate warranty programs, but I’m not going to complain about something that benefits owners who purchased the cars secondhand like me. I’ve read through a few sample contracts, and there don’t seem to be any gotchas that I can find.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,991 Posts
I think some dealers get confused. I know one dealer who offered me a 9 year warranty with 110k miles bc they thought the 5 year / 60k was added to the 4/50 rather then it actually being an additional 1 year and 10k for 5/60 total

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think you must be confused. None of the people I mentioned are “brokers”, they’re simply FCA dealerships selling the policies that Mopar gives them to sell. They aren’t the ones writing the policies, just the middlemen between you and Mopar. Mopar sets the governing terms for the extended warranties, and Mopar is who you deal with when your car needs servicing, which is why you can bring your car to any Alfa dealer for servicing under the plans.

I understand your skepticism, as I went through the same thought process when I started my research. I’m not sure why Mopar decided to have two separate warranty programs, but I’m not going to complain about something that benefits owners who purchased the cars secondhand like me. I’ve read through a few sample contracts, and there don’t seem to be any gotchas that I can find.
Regarding the term broker…ok maybe a bad word choice.

I still think these warranties must be a function of the in service date. Lots of dealers get this wrong. In fact when I bought my car new the finance guy did a hard push on the warranty and quoted a silly high price..when I showed him the websites for these plans he said it was physically impossible for anyone to offer it for that price…they’re both ignorant and scammers at the same time. It’s just hard to believe that these warranties would give the benefit to someone who bought what is probably an older car, second hand.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
As far as I know and, as I was told in the contract when I bought the Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan Maximum Care (8Yrs/85,000), these are the terms:

New Vehicle Plans: Coverage begins on the date the vehicle is put into service (the day one bought it). The original in-service date begins when the vehicle is sold as new, which is the same as the manufacturer’s warranty date. When there is an existing warranty on the vehicle, the contract term will include the warranty period. Coverage ends at the time or mileage interval purchased, whichever occurs first.

Pre-Owned Vehicle Plans: Coverage begins on the date you purchase the plan and the mileage on the odometer at time of purchase. Coverage will end based on the time or mileage interval purchased, whichever occurs first.

NOTE: New and Pre-Owned Vehicle Plans: Alternatively, coverage under the Plan ends when the repair costs for covered component(s) exceed to vehicle’s cash value and we issue a payment for the amount of the vehicle’s cash value, rather than for the repair costs, which payment is the final plan benefit.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV
19 Posts
Regarding the term broker…ok maybe a bad word choice.

I still think these warranties must be a function of the in service date. Lots of dealers get this wrong. In fact when I bought my car new the finance guy did a hard push on the warranty and quoted a silly high price..when I showed him the websites for these plans he said it was physically impossible for anyone to offer it for that price…they’re both ignorant and scammers at the same time. It’s just hard to believe that these warranties would give the benefit to someone who bought what is probably an older car, second hand.
I actually just got off the phone with Alfa corporate today, and they confirmed the existence of the used car plans and the fact that they are valid from the purchase date. I’m in the midst of negotiating with them regarding compensation for my engine replacement, and one of the potential offers they’ve thrown out is putting money towards a used car plan for my car.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
I found the best Fidelity warranty pricing from Mike Bernardo at Steingold Volvo in R.I.
Pleasantly straightforward.

[email protected]
401-312-7632 x126
Buying an off brand warranty from a Volvo dealer is just asking for trouble
I wouldn't buy anything except a Mopar warranty...... most of the others aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A week back I bought by Quadrifoglio. Dealer (from where I brought my Quad) offered me two extended warranties. 1. Mopar costs at 100k miles/7years for $8500 and 2. Fidelity Warranty Services 100k miles/7 years for $5995. Warranty for original parts tires/rims costed another $600 covering for 48k miles/4 years. The second warranty works across nation with any dealer as per seller.
vs
another dealer (from different location in same state) offered Mopar for 125k miles/8 years for $7000 and for breaks/pads, battery, keys,.... second warranty costed around $2000 for 48k miles/4 years.

The only question I have is whether Fidelity Warranty Services supports original OEM parts if needs any mechanical repairs in future.... and under what caveats. I would suggest to take Mopar or Alfa Romeo OEM warranty, rather dealing with caveats.

·
Premium Member
'21 Giulia QV
15 Posts
From what I read in the MOPAR brochure, they say they use only MOPAR parts. My Fidelity warranty
says they can use new or refurbished parts, both OEM or aftermarket. This may explain some of the
price difference. That said, I don't know if a dealer's service department would guarantee repairs using
aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 5/60 Pre-Owned Maximum care plan says:

"Authorized repairs will be made using remanufactured parts. If remanufactured parts are not available, the Dealer will use new parts."

I'm not sure there are any remanufactured parts available at this time...

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
My 5/60 Pre-Owned Maximum care plan says:

"Authorized repairs will be made using remanufactured parts. If remanufactured parts are not available, the Dealer will use new parts."

I'm not sure there are any remanufactured parts available at this time...
Mopar plans will use Mopar reman parts if available but never anything non OEM. , outside companies will use whatever is available...and depending on the company and the plan,sometimes used .
But thats not necessarily bad thing. I recently had an aftermarket company send me an engine for a vehicle I had in the shop...it was fine, we put it in with no drama...but this was on an older Jeep..I dont see much in the way of AR parts being available anywhere but at the dealer so this may be a non issue for the foreseeable future

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have experience fixing repairs with Fidelity warranty. Talked to dealer again questioning non-OEM and using. after market parts in repair. He said dealer always use new parts and OEM with Fidelity warranty. There is some confusion. I only have 11 days to decide whether to keep Fidelity or switch to Mopar.

Does anyone know apart from Mopar, original Alfa Romeo OEM warranty.... (another dealer was mentioning this, if you want OEM parts)?

321 - 340 of 366 Posts