Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are every ones thoughts on the Quadrifoglio's extended warranty?

I'm about to pick up our Quadrifoglio tomorrow and am still undecided on the extended warranty.

Pros and Cons

·
Registered
367 Posts
I got the max warranty I could 125000 miles/8yr. My rational is that I've never sold an Alfa Romeo and this one has enough technology that it will cost me thousands to fix. Mine is just a Giulia Ti (although AWD) your racecar with active suspension etc plus the less than great reliability rep Alfa has makes me think it's worth it. What are they asking $3000? Worth the piece of mind. I also got a full service 4 yr warranty.

·
Registered
226 Posts
BandE: not a ton of experience here, but I can tell you that with my wife's Merc we spend $2500 per year on mtce stuff - once it hit 80k miles it became very "needy".. air suspension (leaks in bags), transmission timing, power steering pump, etc., etc.. For the Alfa (ti) I did NOT get the extended warranty because I think there's a fair chance I'll trade it in for a Quadrofoglio (shout out to Alfa Andy for the correct terminology!!) at about 25k miles... If I was spending ~$80k on a car that I thought I would hold for more than 4 years I'd spend the extra 3% on the warranty.

Oh and Also: I see your in Washington: I think you're Quadrofoglio owner #3 on this board from the NW, along with at least 3 of us Ti owners.. Seem like a mountain meet and drive is not too far away :) Best of luck with your new sweet dream ride.

·
Registered
134 Posts
"Oh and Also: I see your in Washington: I think you're Quadrofoglio owner #3 on this board from the NW, along with at least 3 of us Ti owners.. Seem like a mountain meet and drive is not too far away Best of luck with your new sweet dream ride."

Give me another 6 weeks before you do the inaugural PNW Run... Mario just painted my Ti yesterday. Would love to meet up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've wasted a lot of money on extended warranties for all kinds of things, but I can't say that I've ever regretted the ones I have gotten on expensive cars. Especially with this being a relatively new design, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Tracking... if anyone has any info on Quadrifoglio extended warranty pricing. Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tracking... if anyone has any info on Quadrifoglio extended warranty pricing. Thanks!
5k for a 72 month, 75k mileage plan

6k for an 84 month, 125k mileage plan.

Just left the dealer with my Quadrifoglio. I have a week to decide on the warranty... still undecided.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BandE: not a ton of experience here, but I can tell you that with my wife's Merc we spend $2500 per year on mtce stuff - once it hit 80k miles it became very "needy".. air suspension (leaks in bags), transmission timing, power steering pump, etc., etc.. For the Alfa (ti) I did NOT get the extended warranty because I think there's a fair chance I'll trade it in for a Quadrofoglio (shout out to Alfa Andy for the correct terminology!!) at about 25k miles... If I was spending ~$80k on a car that I thought I would hold for more than 4 years I'd spend the extra 3% on the warranty.

Oh and Also: I see your in Washington: I think you're Quadrofoglio owner #3 on this board from the NW, along with at least 3 of us Ti owners.. Seem like a mountain meet and drive is not too far away
Best of luck with your new sweet dream ride.
I agree! We should start a PNW thread and get one scheduled!

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
548 Posts
Just left the dealer with my Quadrifoglio. I have a week to decide on the warranty... still undecided.
Actually you have a lot longer than that. You can buy official factory extended warranties until the day your original warranty runs out.

·
Registered
257 Posts

I don't have my Qdrfl yet... waiting, waiting, waiting... but I did just have an exchange with the dealer about extended warranty options. Here's what they told me:

6 Years/85k Miles would be $5000
8 Years/125K miles would be $7500
5 year appearance care would be $499.

If the "6 Years" means "6 years total" (including the factory 4-year/50k warranty), then I'd be paying $5000 for an additional 2 years and 35k miles of coverage. That's $2500 per year. That seems crazy expensive to me.

I'm not sure what "appearance care" is... paint detailing?

Frankly, I think these warranty prices are pure gouging. If I have the option to buy extended warranty coverage directly from Alfa Romeo, rather than through the dealer, I'd like to think it won't be so expensive. Anyone have any info on that possibility?

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Quite a few years ago I had a 2007 Audi V10 S8.

The Fidelity "Platinum" warranty was $7500.

The total repair costs during the extended warranty period was $23,000 ! !

I kid you not!

The straw that broke the camel's back and the reason for letting the car go was the last repair was 9k ! (Part of the $23k total) The car had ~ 77k miles on it when one of direct injection injectors failed "open". The ensuing pumping of raw gasoline down through the cylinder into the catalytic converters was huge. The catalytic converters were replaced and basically the top-end of the motor was re-gasketed, new O2 sensors and so forth. The work required the motor to be dropped as the packaging of those V10 Motors into that chassis was a nightmare.

I made out like a bandit on that deal. Warranty was good till 100k miles and it was a transferable warranty. It was one of the reasons that I was able to sell the car at a premium price with 80k miles on it.

Dodged a bullet on that one ! Beautiful car, 450hp with creature features galore, but holy repair costs!

·
Registered
257 Posts
... but I did just have an exchange with the dealer about extended warranty options. Here's what they told me:

6 Years/85k Miles would be $5000
8 Years/125K miles would be $7500
The plot thickens. I complained to the dealer that $5000 for two additional years of warranty coverage was a bit expensive. They responded:

"I quoted the most expensive option with $0 deductible.
There is also a 6 year $100 deductible available for $3750.
We could also go through CareGard, they have a 6 year/85K $100 deductible warranty for $3081.00"

Interesting. A mere $100 deductible reduces the warranty premium by $1250. And if I'm willing to go with a third party vendor (anyone ever heard of "CareGard" before?) then I can save another $669.

This is starting to sound reasonable. Given what EricVonHa said about the repair costs for his Audi, I can definitely live with a $100 deductible!

I think a big lesson here is that folks need to press their dealers a bit, and not just accept the first extended warranty offered. Including a deductible in the plan lowers the premium, and, apparently, going with a 3rd party provider, rather than the factory/dealer, lowers it more.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Is there a direct Alfa Romeo corporate extended warranty?

The aftermarket warranties are ok. Though, the dealers still try to get their pound of flesh by charging mandatory "diagnostic" fees which are specifically excluded from the aftermarket warranties.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there a direct Alfa Romeo corporate extended warranty?

The aftermarket warranties are ok. Though, the dealers still try to get their pound of flesh by charging mandatory "diagnostic" fees which are specifically excluded from the aftermarket warranties.
In Holland it is possible, I have just extended warranty with 24 months. €1189
You can do that online or via your dealer

Dutch website : http://www.alfaromeoextragarantie.nl/

·
Registered
33 Posts

Who provides the extended warranty, the dealer or Alfa Romeo USA? If it's a dealer likely it won't be honored at another location. Are these extended warranties transferable if the car is sold?

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Who provides the extended warranty, the dealer or Alfa Romeo USA? If it's a dealer likely it won't be honored at another location. Are these extended warranties transferable if the car is sold?
The transfer of the warranty is written into the contract or not. The Fidelity Platinum level warranty did allow it to be transferable.

In my contract, it was possible to prorate the warranty and cash it out. When I sold the car there was another two years left on the warranty. I was eligible for around a $2,000 credit on the warranty if the new buyer did not want the warranty.

They did want the warranty and the transfer was simple. I just had to draw up a quick letter stating the car had been sold to them and to please transfer the warranty contract number so and so to them. They sent their new information through to the warranty company along with a $50 re-registration fee for the contract.

Service within the aftermarket Fidelity car warranty allows the owner to take the car just about anywhere for service. It is up to the garage repair business if they want to deal with fidelity. If there is any dispute about the repair or the parts, any Warranty company can be very difficult to deal with. Best to keep a dealer on the case if possible.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Contact info for Fidelity

1 - 20 of 191 Posts