Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody knows that the QV has a lot a CF that the standard Giulia lacks. I have questions about these parts:

1) Will the CF hood fit a standard Giulia? It obviously has vents built in that the standard Giulia lacks, but is the overall shape the same?

2) Are the interior CF components a veneer, or a structural CF part? That is, are the parts just for looks or lighter? Door handle escutcheons, center console deck, steering wheel, maybe some other pieces. If the parts are lighter, will they fit a standard Giulia? Even if structural, probably only the steering wheel would be significantly lighter.

3) Will the CF sill covers fit a standard Giulia? I presume that these are covers rather than structural, but they look really good especially on a white car and probably provide some protection of the body work.

Did I miss anything? Obviously the CF roof is not a feasible retrofit, so I didn't bother to discuss it.

Also, why does QV weigh 200-300 pounds more than a standard Giulia? Obviously the wheels, brakes (maybe not if you pay for CCM), engine and differential are heavier, but other components are lighter. Might QV have structural differences relative to a standard Giulia? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I'm not certain but to me the carbon pieces i the interior from factory look more than just veneer. And the steering wheel may just be the lower insert and not the entire thing. maybe not.

Yes the engine and drive train are the main source of weight. Don't forget twin turbos baby. ;)

I think the hood and spoiler are the best add-ons I would try with a Base or Ti. The hood may even lower engine temps or at last in the bay.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The majority of the CF pieces are veneer, at least many of the ones currently available. And many of them will fit both models. Here is the link to what we offer. Shoot me a pm or a call if you have any questions.

https://madnessautoworks.com/2017-Alfa Romeo-Giulia/start-shopping-cid1/interior-upgrades-cid4
It was my understanding that the parts that you offer are not OEM. Is my understanding correct?

I will very likely buy your CF mirror covers, which are structural and should make a very nice highlight on a white car. The only veneers that are interesting to me are those that protect something, such as the sill/rocker cover (also a nice highlight on a white car), or if I accidentally damage something some time in the future and would rather cover it than replace it.

Besides the 2 exterior highlights, I am mostly interested in weight reduction. The four potential significant weight reductions that I see that don't impair the usability of the vehicle are:

Install an Optima battery ($200). Save about 10 lbs AND get a more reliable battery.

Install a CF hood ($$$$$$$$--maybe get one from a wreck?). Save maybe 50 lbs. This likely makes the hood light enough to replace the pneumatic lifters with a prop-stick, saving another 5lbs or so.

Install aluminum battery cables ($100-200, plus $$$$ labor). AR may have already done this. If the stock cables are copper, save 10-20 lbs. Always use 2 gauge sizes larger if replacing copper with aluminum conductors (i.e. replace Cu 0 with Al 00, or Cu 2 with Al 0). This can create fit issues, so check the fit first.

Light weight or no muffler ($$$$ or $). Save 10-30 lbs, gain a little power and maybe some fuel economy.

There are a lot of fasteners that can be replaced with 7075-T6 Al or 6-4 Ti (so-called grade 5). Individually most are inexpensive, but don't save much weight. In aggregate the cost is non-trivial and the weight savings is also non-trivial. Of course, leave fasteners in critical systems alone unless an engineered and well tested part is available (i.e. the $300 Ti wheel stud set). Use of antiseize on Al and Ti fasteners is mandatory.

Speakers with supermagnets ($$?) instead of the usual cheap-o ceramic magnets can save some weight while improving the sound system.

Ceramic wheel bearings are a popular way to reduce weight in bicycles while improving durability and reducing rolling resistance. I don't know if they are ever used in cars. They are pricey. Ceramic bearings were invented for use in high speed manufacturing machines.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Also, why does QV weigh 200-300 pounds more than a standard Giulia? Obviously the wheels, brakes (maybe not if you pay for CCM), engine and differential are heavier, but other components are lighter. Might QV have structural differences relative to a standard Giulia? Inquiring minds want to know.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that with the increased power comes the need for increased cooling, which adds weight. There is a separate cooling system for the intercoolers and the transmission as well.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Right, ALL of that plumbing.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not certain but to me the carbon pieces i the interior from factory look more than just veneer. And the steering wheel may just be the lower insert and not the entire thing. maybe not.

Yes the engine and drive train are the main source of weight. Don't forget twin turbos baby. ;)

I think the hood and spoiler are the best add-ons I would try with a Base or Ti. The hood may even lower engine temps or at last in the bay.
I agree that replacing the hood with CF is the most significant possible weight reduction on a standard Giulia without altering functionality. It is probably also the most expensive. The hood not only has to have the same shape, but hinges and latches have to work, either using standard Giulia HW or QV HW.

Extra engine compartment ventillation seems unlikely to do anything but good. The vents might even produce a boundary layer on the hood and reduce aero drag. Anyway, better engine compartment ventilation == more reliability.

I think one needs to remove the interior CF components to be able to determine if they are veneer or not and especially to determine if they are any lighter than the standard Giulia parts.

I'm still on the fence regarding a rear spoiler. It appears to be mostly increased weight (not much) and increased drag to me, and won't do much if anything to improve handling on the roads that I drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts