Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took a car with a 952hp V8, that costs $110,000 more than the Quad, to unseat the sedan champion.

"Jaguar revealed today, ahead of the Los Angeles International Auto Show, that its ultra-hardcore XE SV Project 8 sedan has shattered the Nurburgring lap record for sedans. With a time of 7:21, it trumps the previous record holder—the Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio—by 11 seconds.

In case you need reminding, the XE SV Project 8 is the latest creation to come out of Jaguar-Land Rover's Special Vehicle Operations division. Though it may look like a regular XE sedan, it's totally bespoke, sharing only its front doors and roof with the "normal" XE. Carbon fiber panels, carbon-ceramic brakes, super-aggressive aerodynamics, and a 592-horsepower supercharged V8 are just a few of the features included."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a13969511/jaguar-xe-sv-project-8-breaks-nurburgring-sedan-record/?src=socialflowFB

The King Is Dead - Long Live The King!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,482 Posts
It took a car with a 952hp V8, that costs $110,000 more than the Quad, to unseat the sedan champion.

"Jaguar revealed today, ahead of the Los Angeles International Auto Show, that its ultra-hardcore XE SV Project 8 sedan has shattered the Nurburgring lap record for sedans. With a time of 7:21, it trumps the previous record holder—the Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio—by 11 seconds.

In case you need reminding, the XE SV Project 8 is the latest creation to come out of Jaguar-Land Rover's Special Vehicle Operations division. Though it may look like a regular XE sedan, it's totally bespoke, sharing only its front doors and roof with the "normal" XE. Carbon fiber panels, carbon-ceramic brakes, super-aggressive aerodynamics, and a 592-horsepower supercharged V8 are just a few of the features included."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ks-nurburgring-sedan-record/?src=socialflowFB

The King Is Dead - Long Live The King!
Is the 952hp additional over the 592? :p

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
202 Posts
A 4 door sedan operating at such supercar levels of performance is an amazing accomplishment.

But as pointed out in the article "It’s worth noting that Jaguar intends to produce only 300 examples of this car, a far cry from the mass-produced vehicles like the Giulia Quadrifoglio and BMW M3. Reliability and daily-driving considerations that are front-and-center in mass-market cars are less of a concern in something as specialized as the XE SV Project 8."

In fact this article has left me admiring the QV even more. I am impressed with M3s, QVs & ATSvs of the world, which offer such high levels of performance while being practical and (relatively) affordable.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In fact this article has left me admiring the QV even more. I am impressed with M3, QVs ATSvs of the world, which offer such high levels of performance while being practical and (relatively) affordable.
Hear!Hear! To mass-produce something of that capability at anything approaching an acceptable level of quality and price-point is absolutely astonishing. Anyone who's ever worked in any kind of manufacturing understands!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think that record is totally irrelevant. Although the Jag is one **** of a car, it is a totally different animal. As others have stated, comparing a production car to a limited release model doesn't stack up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I believe Alfa has been careful to state their time for the Giulia and Stelvio are for production vehicles.

0:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have also heard (but have not seen this verified), that someone analyzed both the QV and the Stelvio's video of the record setting lap and determined that there were gaps in the video which make the records look suspect...I hope this is not the case and it certainly is not the equivalent of VWgate, but this is being bandied about...-Perhaps it is just someone trying to bash our Italian brand as some people love to do.....Forza Alfa Sempre!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think that record is totally irrelevant. Although the Jag is one **** of a car, it is a totally different animal. As others have stated, comparing a production car to a limited release model doesn't stack up.
Maybe its time to officially break down the categories a little further. Instead of just a sedan (four doors) category, make a "production sedan" category that's defined by a minimum production number. Not sure what that should be, but in the thousands at least.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I don't know why, but for some reason this smacks of a specific and deliberate effort just to 'beat Alfa' on the ring. A pre-production "intended production spec" car with a roll cage and rear wing like that? That doesn't mean anything to me, nor is it an actual production car. Pull one off the showroom floor and run it as-is, then we can talk. The fact that they had to go to these lengths, including charging over $100k more, just makes Alfa's accomplishment look all the more incredible in my opinion.

That 'pre-production' car actually looks like a track car, while the Quad looks like a street car because it actually is a street car. I do NOT see anybody buying one of those Jags as a daily driver, while I KNOW there are many right here on this forum who do in fact DD their Quads.

Imagine what Alfa could do at the Ring with a specific 'track model' of the Quad with all the bells and whistles to match the Jag.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
527 Posts
'ring times are pointless other than to prove how insanely capable the test driver is.

Reactions: jamgolf

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have also heard (but have not seen this verified), that someone analyzed both the QV and the Stelvio's video of the record setting lap and determined that there were gaps in the video which make the records look suspect...I hope this is not the case and it certainly is not the equivalent of VWgate, but this is being bandied about...-Perhaps it is just someone trying to bash our Italian brand as some people love to do.....Forza Alfa Sempre!
meh, ring has own way clocking cars times.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,842 Posts
LULZ @ Jag

this is the best you could do with all that extra performance hardware?

- the whole point of Giulia is that anybody can walk into any dealership and buy the exact same car and configuration that set records at Nurburgring, as STANDARD (only the tshirt, Rolex and jeans are optional extras)

too little too late, Alfa just took out Car Of The Year :)

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
LULZ @ Jag

this is the best you could do with all that extra performance hardware?

- the whole point of Giulia is that anybody can walk into any dealership and buy the exact same car and configuration that set records at Nurburgring, as STANDARD (only the tshirt, Rolex and jeans are optional extras)

too little too late, Alfa just took out Car Of The Year :)
and the skill to drive it at 10/10ths>:)

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
As Far as the Jag

what you see is what you get. I believe that while it may be a pre-production car...the cage is a part of the vehicle...
as far as 'ring times'....marketing/bragging rights....take it for what it is worth....is it a benchmark?...to me not so much...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The Nordschliefe is a brutal track that beats the living crap out of the cars and their drivers. Record setting times are a testimony to the car and driver's ability to handle and control that kind of abuse. For a production car, it tells you about the engineering that car represents. You will never put your car through that kind of abuse unless you track it, so Ring times don't mean much on the street, other than bragging rights. Performance times have always been things people like to see and talk about, going all the way back to horses and chariots. The number of horses and the chariots may change, but people haven't.

·
Registered
41 Posts
BRAVO !!! BRAVISSIMO !!!
ALFA ROMEO STOCK ,JUST LIKE one OUT OF PRODUCTION line as you know
very often been taken to race track & ....!!!!!
NUMBERS MOT Important , it is unique MARQUE , UNIQUE CAR, always IS .
FORZA ALFA , ( back to F1 racing & car of the year !!! )
fabrizio nuvolari @ salazar alfa romeo ,avondale,az.
ciao a tutti ...........

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
For $187,500 I can buy a Giulia QV and a Stelvio QV.
I can have a blast in the summer and the winter and be able to bring family or friends along since there are no roll bars in the back seats....... in exchange for 11 seconds at the Ring........ LOL

·
Registered
256 Posts
My previuos car was a Jag XE R Sport. Nice car, very fast after a ECU mod. Sort of under the radar.

I much prefer my Giulia Ti.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.