Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, but been stalking for months. Thanks for all the great info. Not an owner but highly interested. I am so on the fence about this vehicle. What I haven't figured out and haven't seen on the posts yet is, is the quadrifoglio worth 30k more over the Sport Ti? I think it is but curious to what ya'll think. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
First post, but been stalking for months. Thanks for all the great info. Not an owner but highly interested. I am so on the fence about this vehicle. What I haven't figured out and haven't seen on the posts yet is, is the quadrifoglio worth 30k more over the Sport Ti? I think it is but curious to what ya'll think. Thanks
I had exactly the same dilemma. Ended up with a fully loaded Ti Q2 with Sport and Performance packs. You get 90% of the look and 90% of the feel of a QV. Then throw in QV's higher maintenance and insurance rates, and arguably a more finicky engine and it's a simple decision.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I say this as the owner of a base Guilia. Have you heard what a Quad in race mode sounds like?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had exactly the same dilemma. Ended up with a fully loaded Ti Q2 with Sport and Performance packs. You get 90% of the look and 90% of the feel of a QV. Then throw in QV's higher maintenance and insurance rates, and arguably a more finicky engine and it's a simple decision.
90% look yes
90% feel? Steering feel maybe
Engine feel - I say 70% - there is a major difference in the QV
Finicky engine? I would say no - runs great in Advance Efficiency mode on 3 cylinders doing 30 MPG, or like a jet in race mode.
Just a bit of shake when it idles when it warms up, and maybe a bit less idle shake when it is fully warm.

Insurance higher - I am sure it is

The performance is worth maybe $20k more - expensive parts like,the engine, and lots of carbon fiber items.Add another $10k for being more exclusive and yup - it's worth it.

The other models are quite awesome in their own right as well - winning magazine comparisons all over.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
If the Quadrifoglio is a viable option for you, get it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I test drove the base and the QV, and there was only one choice for me - QV. I don't know where you are coming up with your 90% of performance. They are two completely different cars; and engines.

Jeff

·
Registered
554 Posts

I had this same question, then I was lucky enough to be able to see a Ti and a QV side by side and drive both. I immediately placed an order for a 2018 QV without hesitation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is really a financial question more than anything. If you can afford to buy and operate it, get it. No question the QV is the better car and the car I would rather be driving. I'm not quite there yet financially so I went with a loaded TI Sport.

I do have a list of mods to help "cope" though

Sticky Tires - Done (Michelin Pilot Super Sports)
Exhaust - On order (Centerline Corsa)
Tune - Waiting for Eurocompulsion :)
Intake - Waiting for Eurocompulsion :)

Again, even with these mods the QV is still no comparison and a much better car. But with these mods the TI will be an absolute blast to drive.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is really a financial question more than anything. If you can afford to buy and operate it, get it. No question the QV is the better car and the car I would rather be driving. I'm not quite there yet financially so I went with a loaded TI Sport.

I do have a list of mods to help "cope" though

Sticky Tires - Done (Michelin Pilot Super Sports)
Exhaust - On order (Centerline Corsa)
Tune - Waiting for Eurocompulsion :)
Intake - Waiting for Eurocompulsion :)

Again, even with these mods the QV is still no comparison and a much better car. But with these mods the TI will be an absolute blast to drive.
This.

If I may quote Ferris Bueller. "They are so choice. If you have the means, I strongly suggest picking one up."

·
Registered
167 Posts
The decision I reached was in general yes, but not for me. I was torn between a QV lease and buying a TI. We ended up buying, I plan on keeping the car long term and drive to many miles for a lease.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can also think of it another way, it's not just $30,000 more, it's 60% more expensive than a fully loaded Ti and 100% more expensive (double the price) of a Base Giulia with Sport appearance package.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,714 Posts
My conclusion is that I want a QV but I need a Ti Q4. Points I considered:

QV: 4 inches of ground clearance
Q4: 6 inches of ground clearance

QV:24-28MPG highway
Q4: 31-35MPG highway
(NOTE: real reported numbers at legal speeds in A mode, not just dashboard computer values nor just EPA values)

QV: get a ticket every-other day. Get into wrecks with alarming frequency. If the power is there I gonna use it.
Q4: not so much.

QV: Cannot cope with chain controls except to put on chains (yuck!)
Q4: Good to go in the snow.

QV: Is all that power really useful for canyon carving?
Q4: Lighter weight for better canyon carving. Has room for weight reduction. It's not a 4C, but it is usable.

QV: Rear seat cannot be folded down.
Q4: 40-20-40 fold down configuration very useful when actually carrying stuff.

QV: tires and brake maintenance more expensive than Q4.

If you don't care about any of the above, then the QV may be for you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My conclusion is that I want a QV but I need a Ti Q4. Points I considered:
If you don't care about any of the above, then the QV may be for you.
Great points Lockem especially if you are considering the Giulia as a daily driver. The original post just asked if it was worth another $30k - I really wish it was priced at $15-20k above IMO.

QV: 4 inches of ground clearance
Q4: 6 inches of ground clearance
- Yup, the QV has even scraped in the center over speed bumps at low speed

QV:24-28MPG highway
Q4: 31-35MPG highway
(NOTE: real reported numbers at legal speeds in A mode, not just dashboard computer values nor just EPA values)
- This looks realistic for sure. You can get higher in both if you drive 60 MPH and baby the throttle but that is not typical driving.
- I will say I traded my 6.2L Supercharged ZL1 and the QV is like an economy car in comparison regarding fuel consumption (19 MPG HWY if you babied it).

QV: get a ticket every-other day. Get into wrecks with alarming frequency. If the power is there I gonna use it.
Q4: not so much.
- I think they both could get you a ticket - that 2.0L has lots of power as well!

QV: Cannot cope with chain controls except to put on chains (yuck!)
Q4: Good to go in the snow.
- Yup, AWD is ideal for the snow. RWD certainly is not.

QV: Is all that power really useful for canyon carving?
Q4: Lighter weight for better canyon carving. Has room for weight reduction. It's not a 4C, but it is usable.
- Hmmm

QV: Rear seat cannot be folded down.
Q4: 40-20-40 fold down configuration very useful when actually carrying stuff.
- This certainly is very important if this will be your only car, a folding rear sear adds lots of versatility! My STi is similar - rear seat back is fixed for added structure between the strut towers.

QV: tires and brake maintenance more expensive than Q4.
- The original QV tires will only be good for 5000 miles perhaps so replacement would be needed in short order. An all-season tire is ideal for a daily, unless you want to Tire Rack it and have a set of winter tires.

In summary get a Q4v if you need a daily.
Get the QV if you have other vehicles at your disposal.
Get the model 3 when the performance versions come out in a few years - that is the FUTURE!

Enjoy the ride my friends!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Let me make an honest, compassionate and practical suggestion. If you have the time, energy and budget to buy a Ti and upgrade it to your hearts content, then do so. If you have never modded a car, or haven't done it much, it is a wonderful learning experience and probably a good preparation for life as a Quadrifoglio or other super car owner.

When I bought my Miata new, it was my first new car. I wanted a humble, fun, affordable little roadster. I got the appearance package, power steering and cruise control on an LS model. Then, when I finally owned the car outright, I got the means and the urge to modify it. So now it is practically a track car and the only remaining mod that's really needed is an LSD swap from the open diff. I did ALL of the mods myself except the supercharger install. But I have solved 2 sets of misfire problems myself because the dealership (not the mechanic that installed it) and my local quality mechanic could not or would not solve the actual simple problems in the harness. They were short related on the injector wires in the piggy back harness, due to wear and tear, vibration on crap roads, and race suspension.

So now after 2 solid winters of working on my car and battling harder than the pros I hired to help, I decided to turn the tables, eliminate a huge amount of debt, and make way for the car I really wanted. It's also the car I need, now that I have been widowed for 5 years, moved up in my career, and want to get back out there with friends. In a sedan or coupe you can double date and go out with friends a whole lot easier than in a tiny roadster.

The other part of the equation is your time, energy, budget and stamina. Let me tell you, if I had a lift, a bigger garage, air tools, and a whole lot more free time, I might just save money and upgrade a Ti instead. But 2 years from now, I would be 50 grand in the hole and probably wishing I had gone for the Quad. This is AFTER I did all the work I could on my Miata, my 348 and my 360. I felt now it was time to get what I wanted, could afford, and had the time to really take care of or do the work on. Also, the coupe version was a factor that never panned out. The rear spoiler only became available for Ti's recently.

I think it's a natural progression. If you still have some tuner left in you, the drive to do the work yourself or to learn on your own, do the mods first on a cheaper car and balance your budget that way. For me, the saving on a Ti would be wasted in time, parts, and energy on making the car I wanted. But that is now, and not 10 years ago. Find the balance that works for you. Who knows, maybe down the road, after all you've learned by tuning a Ti, there may be a low miles 8C waiting for you to take care of her and park her next to your Tuner Giulia. Then you will be ready my friend, Then you will be ready :D

Attachments

Reactions: Chicago and chaiguy

·
Registered
527 Posts
Is the QV worth $30K more? I'm going to say no.

1. Backseat doesn't fold down in the QV. The trunk is already a bit awkward in size and usability, couple that with seats that don't fold down now you have an even less practical trunk space.

2. The $30K you would save over the QV by buying a base Giulia, you can buy (this is a crap point, but still worth making) :
- 15 miatas, or 4 spec miatas that you could take a few friends to go racing with
- well built and fast Lotus 7 replica
- c6z
- 2 s2000s
- good condition cayman s
- used truck, an enclosed trailer, and a spec e30 race car
- Radical SR3
- Lotus Elise
- All of the above would easily make up for the 505hp in the QV that the base/ti doesn't have.

3. The QVs seem to have more problems than the base/TIs

4. QV has worse gas mileage.

5. The base Giulia is plenty quick enough for street use. The QV doesn't seem well suited for sustained proper track driving. I'll know later this year how well the base Giulia does on track.

Reactions: Dr. Klopek
1 - 20 of 71 Posts