Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a a photo or could explain Alfa Romeos Q4 on the 952. Is a transfer case used due to the rwd layout?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
Is only the rear drive shaft carbon fiber? Are the ratios of the front differential, rear differential, and transfer case available?

Is the front differential bolted to the underside of the engine? Does the front differential run on engine oil or it's own?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Is only the rear drive shaft carbon fiber? Are the ratios of the front differential, rear differential, and transfer case available?

Is the front differential bolted to the underside of the engine? Does the front differential run on engine oil or it's own?
You've made me curious whether any cars use carbon fiber halfshafts.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
You've made me curious whether any cars use carbon fiber halfshafts.
What I suspect is that for a carbon fiber shaft to be beneficial it needs to be long. The longer the shaft the harder it is to keep it straight under load and material eventually ends up being added just to solve this problem rather than to make the shaft strong enough to handle the torque. This problem gets bad enough for trucks that they often have a two piece drive shaft with a bearing in the middle. If the shaft does not stay straight enough it will start whipping around and break or at least vibrate badly.

No harassment intended.:grin2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts