Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
thank you @Il_Conte and @mts for the photos and info, I think the Q4 eibach are the stance I'm looking for, my limit is the wheel arch over the wheel. I don't like that look, and in Portugal is very illegal to lower your car, so I like how it looks.
Anyway, I think I will wait for the need to change shocks, can someone confirm if they are different between Q2 and Q4 as well? Then I will be out of warranty as well and would be more comfortable.

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
thank you @Il_Conte and @mts for the photos and info, I think the Q4 eibach are the stance I'm looking for, my limit is the wheel arch over the wheel. I don't like that look, and in Portugal is very illegal to lower your car, so I like how it looks.
Anyway, I think I will wait for the need to change shocks, can someone confirm if they are different between Q2 and Q4 as well? Then I will be out of warranty as well and would be more comfortable.
There is a difference between the Q2 and Q4 Eibach springs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Q4 spring difference in spring length (non-sunroof-315mm/sunroof-310mm) is 15mm.
2017 Springs are 15mm shorter than 2018. 15mm roughly equates 1/2"+/- lower. 30mm equates to around 1" drop +/-
Spring compressed: 17' 84mm( 85mm sunroof)/ 18' 98mm (100mm sunroof) (RWD 76mm)

My 17' Q4 is around 1/2"+/- lower than all the 18> Q4 models. Similar results with RWD/Q2.

I don't like the idea of using RWD lowering springs for the Q4. I do think that there is a possibility for using the RWD Q2 springs on the Q4 (310mm spring height)
So if there’s a 5 mm difference between assembled heights between roof vs non roof, are we to surmise the shock length is different as, imo shock length controls overall length when assembled??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Difference in winding. I'd have to measure the distance between coils to to give you a more detailed summary of this.

2017 # "effective" Coils. The coils on the ends will not be an effective coil, it will be there for mounting/height. The effective coils are in blue: 4.25 coils are effective or active. The pink is the non-effective coils.

2017 RWD below with 4.13 effective coils.
View attachment 90503

This one is a bit harder to see as I don't have a pic of the QV springs separated. 3.70 effective coils. The other coils are dead coils that give height to the car.

The increase in spring diameter is doe to having more effective coils which raised the vehicle.

QV 2017 coil Dia. 13.60+/- with 3.70 effective coils. Spring pack 79
QV 2018 coil Dia. 13.80+/- with 4.66 effective coils. Spring pack 64mm ( I am wondering if this is a typo and should be 94mm)??
(hence the almost 1" height difference but with similar performance.) Spring pack most likely due to how it was wound.

2017 3.70 effective coils:
View attachment 90509

Q4 2017 (non-sunroof) 12.80+/- .05 with 4.25 effective coils. Spring pack 84mm
Q4 2018 (non-sunroof) 13.20 +/- .05 with 5.11 effective coils. Spring pack 98mm
Not only almost a mm thickness change but a .86 coil height difference, close to 1 full coil which is about 1". We can see that in the ride height of the 17' vs the 18'.
has anyone tried QV rear springs in a 2.0. I realize higher spring rate but as they are a progressive spring as I understand, if lowering the extra spring rate might be welcomed on A lowered car especially as the tire moves / compresses towards the 1/4 panel giving added resistance

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,367 Posts
So if there’s a 5 mm difference between assembled heights between roof vs non roof, are we to surmise the shock length is different as, imo shock length controls overall length when assembled??
No, shock is the same, spring height / rate are different

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts
has anyone tried QV rear springs in a 2.0. I realize higher spring rate but as they are a progressive spring as I understand, if lowering the extra spring rate might be welcomed on A lowered car especially as the tire moves / compresses towards the 1/4 panel giving added resistance

NO! Springs are completely different. Don't over think this. This should not be that difficult of a decision, You choose a spring that fits your needs and be done. You can go with our Alfissimo Springs or the OEM option I discussed with you already or one of the others out there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No, shock is the same, spring height / rate are different
Hmmm...if the assembled
NO! Springs are completely different. Don't over think this. This should not be that difficult of a decision, You choose a spring that fits your needs and be done. You can go with our Alfissimo Springs or the OEM option I discussed with you already or one of the others out there.

Thanks Jason,
it seems the OEM 17 is my only option. I don’t want the car that low although it looks great.
what is the difference in the springs? Dimensional on top of rates?
I measured my rear springs at 13” and a set of QV at 11.5”
Just like to know.

View attachment 107015

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts
Hmmm...if the assembled

I have QV springs in stock if you want to try them. I am going to say, they could fit. I think the ride might suffer. The coil is 13.6mm thick, ST springs for example are 13.1mm thick. If you want to go OEM, stick with 2.0 springs as I have mentioned several times here and other posts, im and so on. The QV springs are same height as RWD compressed. I have spring specs, not sure yet if they will work but like I said, if your willing I am game. I have some Qv springs you can try. I will discount them heavily for trying. Game?

Below is an ST lowering spring for the 2.0L RWD next to a QV OEM spring:

QV Spring with Q2/RWD spring.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Jason
Thanks for all the info and pics.
looks like the qv is shorter.Stiffer too. I suspect sprung weight great on qv w wider and heavier wheel and tire. I’m a bit ocd so I get kooky and love to experiment.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My buddy gave me some rear qv springs.
I wonder diff in spring rate for fronts?
might b too stiff but can try.

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts
My buddy gave me some rear qv springs.
I wonder diff in spring rate for fronts?
might b too stiff but can try.
Markings on QV springs? I think the QV springs will be too stiff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Markings on QV springs? I think the QV springs will be too stiff.
Hi jason
perhaps but....apparently the rears are progressive although the windings, visually aren’t indicative to me.. You must know way more than me.. but suspect / read they are. The QV, in the rear cannot weigh much more than 2.0...other than aforementioned wheels/tire weight, sprung. IMO the rear spring rates for the QV are greater to limit squat under hard accel.. Thus progressive is the way to go!!. The initial compress around town hopefully will feel nice but under load I.e. hard driving, the stiffness is welcomed by me.....theoretical oversteer,... traction control not withstanding. R mode time?.
Big also here....and there’s much more but...springs really give stance, body roll, and to extent dampening and rebound in concert with dampers; (shocks tasked to limit / control the spring)
if u ever tried driving a car with just springs, which I have, it’s amazing how soft the ride is..It’s the shocks that cause jarring sensation. too bad the QV springs aren’t a little shorter to give the better looking stance yet guard against wheel to fender contact as the progressiveness really comes into play under hard compression. I’ll take the stiffness at the end of travel.
Im slightly wary bout QV front springs though, yet weight diff is only 200 lbs. Jason, how much for front QV springs? We can collaborate and I’ll give feedback. I have lots of country roads around here where 100 mph sweepers are abundant. Plus Sonoma raceway in my backyard. Just my worthless two cents/sense. I learned a lot making my race car and going to track to learn empirically.. BC really accommodated me with race setup w my coilovers. My approach now is 255 rears and the QV springs in rears only then asses the fronts..If the stance is neutral, then I’m happy. Otherwise change front springs to either Q2 or 17 QV I need overall length measurements of both To proceed. Also Jason, I’m willing to do head to head comparison with EC II and the squndra tune but have a question or concern.

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts
Hi jason
perhaps but....apparently the rears are progressive although the windings, visually aren’t indicative to me.. You must know way more than me.. but suspect / read they are. The QV, in the rear cannot weigh much more than 2.0...other than aforementioned wheels/tire weight, sprung. IMO the rear spring rates for the QV are greater to limit squat under hard accel.. Thus progressive is the way to go!!. The initial compress around town hopefully will feel nice but under load I.e. hard driving, the stiffness is welcomed by me.....theoretical oversteer,... traction control not withstanding. R mode time?.
Big also here....and there’s much more but...springs really give stance, body roll, and to extent dampening and rebound in concert with dampers; (shocks tasked to limit / control the spring)
if u ever tried driving a car with just springs, which I have, it’s amazing how soft the ride is..It’s the shocks that cause jarring sensation. too bad the QV springs aren’t a little shorter to give the better looking stance yet guard against wheel to fender contact as the progressiveness really comes into play under hard compression. I’ll take the stiffness at the end of travel.
Im slightly wary bout QV front springs though, yet weight diff is only 200 lbs. Jason, how much for front QV springs? We can collaborate and I’ll give feedback. I have lots of country roads around here where 100 mph sweepers are abundant. Plus Sonoma raceway in my backyard. Just my worthless two cents/sense. I learned a lot making my race car and going to track to learn empirically.. BC really accommodated me with race setup w my coilovers. My approach now is 255 rears and the QV springs in rears only then asses the fronts..If the stance is neutral, then I’m happy. Otherwise change front springs to either Q2 or 17 QV I need overall length measurements of both To proceed. Also Jason, I’m willing to do head to head comparison with EC II and the squndra tune but have a question or concern.
No the springs are linear both front and rear. I am willing to send you the set of springs, you can test them and get back with me, if they work in your favor, you can pay me for them.
St springs for the 2.0L are progressive in rear/linear in front. I prefer Linear all the way around.

Our squadra tune I can guarantee will perform better.
What's the question on the tune? Or maybe you should IM me instead and keep this post about the springs.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts