Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also carry KW for the Q4. This is truly the only way to lower properly. Lowering springs alone just don't cut it most of the time, they are essentially for cosmetics only. Handling can actually be reduced despite the lower stance and stiffer spring.
The handling on my q4 is light years better with my springs... not just a little either. Maybe I’m more sensitive to body roll, and the way the car swayed out of hard turns? Regardless, the best $500 all in mod I’ve invested in.

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts
Alright it's time to mount these babies on. (2017 Q2).
@Alfissimo I remember seeing this thread mentioning how the rear springs are a real pain to install; and that some bolts need to be replaced in the process. I saw those bolts for sale on your website a while ago but they're not there anymore.
Any suggestions? Are they required?
Bolts are for front only. Rears do not require new hardware. Fronts are 1 time use nuts/bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Just wanted to chime in after the install of the 2017 RWD NO sunroof springs on my 2018 AWD WITH sunroof.

I really like the result.

I did not measure with the ruler; but in a very rudimentary way - before I could stick 4 fingers in the front fender and the entire hand in the rear fender. Now, I'm at 2 fingers on front and 3 1/2 fingers at the rear. 😄

Before (at this height looks like a Stelvio doesn't it??) :

After:

I did install and full alignment at Reina's International autos in Milwaukee, if you are from the area I highly recommend it. They serve Ferraris and old Alfas.. It was about $400 all included.

Other than looks, it improves handling. Now the car feels glued to the ground and drives like a go-kart instead of feeling a little suspended in the air. Ride quality as good as before. @PedrofromPortugal

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Skinny fingers? I've got 3 fingers front and a tight 4 fingers in the rear of my stock suspension Q4 using my relatively thin fingers. OTOH, my suspension seems to have settled a bit after 57000 miles (92000 km). This is with 245 35R19 tires, which are slightly smaller diameter than the stock tires.

A perhaps quick and dirty way to lower the front: while the car is sitting on the ground with weight on the wheels, loosen the shock-tower cross member bolts (both ends, just enough to let things settle), then re-tighten and then re-align everything. Caveat: I have not had a chance to confirm that proper re-alignment is possible and of course this is not an approved service procedure.

I did not do this intentionally, the bolts came loose on their own. I noticed the following:
Bolts loose (3 snug, 1 finger tight) -> my floor jack is a tight squeeze under the front lift points.
Bolts tightened while wheels off of the ground followed by a few miles of driving -> floor jack has a hand thickness of space under the front lift points.

Does anybody know if the suspension geometry is different between a QV and Q4, or is just the spring height different? If the geometry is the same as a QV, it seems like lowering a Q4 to MY2017 QV height should be a hands-down handling improvement. Of course loss of ground clearance for winter driving could be a problem, as might loss of suspension travel on the front. The Q4 front shocks are really short due to the clearance needed around the front half shafts. The front suspension parts are all different between QV and Q4, but that does not say if the geometry is different.

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,367 Posts
Just wanted to chime in after the install of the 2017 RWD NO sunroof springs on my 2018 AWD WITH sunroof.

I did not measure with the ruler; but in a very rudimentary way - before I could stick 4 fingers in the front fender and the entire hand in the rear fender. Now, I'm at 2 fingers on front and 3 1/2 fingers at the rear. 😄

View attachment 101789

After:
View attachment 101788

I did install and full alignment at Reina's International autos in Milwaukee, if you are from the area I highly recommend it. They serve Ferraris and old Alfas.. It was about $400 all included.

Other than looks, it improves handling. Now the car feels glued to the ground and drives like a go-kart instead of feeling a little suspended in the air. Ride quality as good as before. @PedrofromPortugal
It'll settle a bit over the next couple of months, but looks good now!

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts

View attachment 101789

After:
View attachment 101788

Looks great. Were these from me? Anyway, looks PERFECT!

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Last I spoke with Jason (briefly), ST has gone radio silent on him re: the excessive rear drop with STs. Has anyone else tried the ST springs on their Q4? @Vangiulia mentioned ST had to send a new rear set, plus they had to add spacers... which is not ideal.

If not, I might as well just order the Eibachs since they're going to take a bajillion days from the EU.

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts
Last I spoke with Jason (briefly), ST has gone radio silent on him re: the excessive rear drop with STs. Has anyone else tried the ST springs on their Q4? @Vangiulia mentioned ST had to send a new rear set, plus they had to add spacers... which is not ideal.

If not, I might as well just order the Eibachs since they're going to take a bajillion days from the EU.
Waiting on an answer back. Most likely after the 24th. They are all on holiday. I will light a fire under their arse.

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts
I am putting a request into the Engineering department in Germany, I hope to have some answers in Sept.

·
Registered
25 Posts

View attachment 101789

After:
View attachment 101788

What year is your Q4?

·
Vendor
2,587 Posts
Any word from them??
Honestly, nothing. Not worth my time with the limited lowering of Q4's. I think using the Q2/RWD springs will be fine. Not much difference if any. I have 1 set in stock and more on the way.

141 - 160 of 175 Posts