Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i m seriously considering lowering my 2017 giulia Q4, but a lot of springs/ coilovers are only design for Rwd models. Some suggested their springs are for all models, some only for rwd. I m looking for something that just lower the wheel gaps by an inch or so, while still retain much of the driving / ride qualities.

Thats why this thread is to call for those who lowered their giulia Q4, what brand of springs / coilovers u used, and any feedback/ problems and pictures are appreciated. Thank you all

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,386 Posts
What year? I guess that the 2017 year had lower springs, Alfissimo states they can drop you about 3/4"... Hope I'm remembering that correctly.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
What year? I guess that the 2017 year had lower springs, Alfissimo states they can drop you about 3/4"... Hope I'm remembering that correctly.
I think that is true only for Quad models.

I am also looking to do this. Maybe not immediately but for sure after this winter. The wheel gap right now is huge... I would like to lower it 0,5" front and 1 inch rear, to bring it similar to Q2 or even Quad height.

And before anyone suggests it, the Eibach springs will not work, too slammed for my taste, they bring the wheel inside the fender.

I was thinking maybe we could order Quad springs? The ratings may be all screwed up though cause the quad is heavier on front and lighter on top (carbon fiber instead of glass sunroof).
Maybe ordering Q2 springs would be the best thing..

·
Registered
36 Posts
> I think that is true only for Quad models
Not according to Alfissimo. All 2018 Giulia variants ride higher than their 2017 counterparts, and the lift varies from model to model - e.g. Q4s got more life and Q2s got less. As a result, there are quite a few different OEM lowering options for 2018 owners.

I have a set of 2017 springs on order for my 2018 Q4. Estimated drop is 1.3". Will report back with pics and impressions in a couple weeks once installed.

For me, I wanted something that lowered the CG for handling and reduced the fender gap for appearance, but without killing the ride comfort or bouncing off the bumpstops. I believe the 2017 springs will accomplish this. In fact, I speculate that the optimal ride & handling setup for the Giulia is the 2017-spec and the lift in 2018+ cars was a concession to daily-driver practicality concerns.

·
Registered
36 Posts
BTW, I believe the springs are interchangeable across all Q2s and Q4s, however, the Q4s have a different front shock mount. This prevents Q2 coilover options from working on Q4.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Not according to Alfissimo. All 2018 Giulia variants ride higher than their 2017 counterparts, and the lift varies from model to model - e.g. Q4s got more life and Q2s got less. As a result, there are quite a few different OEM lowering options for 2018 owners.

I have a set of 2017 springs on order for my 2018 Q4. Estimated drop is 1.3". Will report back with pics and impressions in a couple weeks once installed.
Yes please!! Report after install. Did you get the 2017 Q4 or Q2 springs?

·
Vendor
2,601 Posts
Q4 spring difference in spring length (non-sunroof-315mm/sunroof-310mm) is 15mm.
2017 Springs are 15mm shorter than 2018. 15mm roughly equates 1/2"+/- lower. 30mm equates to around 1" drop +/-
Spring compressed: 17' 84mm( 85mm sunroof)/ 18' 98mm (100mm sunroof) (RWD 76mm)

My 17' Q4 is around 1/2"+/- lower than all the 18> Q4 models. Similar results with RWD/Q2.

I don't like the idea of using RWD lowering springs for the Q4. I do think that there is a possibility for using the RWD Q2 springs on the Q4 (310mm spring height)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Q4 spring difference in spring length (non-sunroof-315mm/sunroof-310mm) is 15mm.
2017 Springs are 15mm shorter than 2018. 15mm roughly equates 1/2"+/- lower. 30mm equates to around 1" drop +/-
Spring compressed: 17' 84mm( 85mm sunroof)/ 18' 98mm (100mm sunroof) (RWD 76mm)

My 17' Q4 is around 1/2"+/- lower than all the 18> Q4 models. Similar results with RWD/Q2.

I don't like the idea of using RWD lowering springs for the Q4. I do think that there is a possibility for using the RWD Q2 springs on the Q4 (310mm spring height)
Interesting. Sounds like they use harder springs with less travel for sunroof.
I agree in upgrading the 18 Q4 springs to 17 Q2 rather than rwd.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone has any idea how much for 2017 Q2 springs set? With the shorten height should one consider the change of the shocks too?

·
Vendor
2,601 Posts
I have a set of Q4 17' springs in stock. Same with RWD, heck I have QV too. All in stock.

17' RWD/Q2 Spring set:

·
Vendor
2,601 Posts
So this Q2 suppose to give me somewhat lower frt and back by like an inch? Fully compatible? How much is this set?
Not sure yet. They are essentially the same spring but the Q4 has a higher rate to handle the extra weight. This is why I don't like the idea of lowering springs (in general) but RWD lowering spring used on a Q4. Those selling them for the Q4 are misleading customers. There are no Q4 specific lowering springs for example. I have already had a few customers from the others swap out their lowering springs for the 17' springs instead on the Q4 because of the bad ride quality of said lowering springs on Q4. Best option is 17' Spring which will bring it down about 1/2+ and was made specific for the Q4 by AR.

You are more than welcome to try the RWD Q2 springs which should lower little more (~3/4") but it might not give the handling you want. I could be wrong of course and it will work just fine but I just caution on it.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,386 Posts
~110 lbs I believe

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone knows the spring rate differences for the 2017 Q2 vs 2017 Q4? If it s fairly similar then it should just lower it enough but still retains the ride enough?

·
Vendor
2,601 Posts
Anyone knows the spring rate differences for the 2017 Q2 vs 2017 Q4? If it s fairly similar then it should just lower it enough but still retains the ride enough?
2017= non-sunroof-305mm/sunroof-310mm Spring height of released spring.
Compressed = 76mm/79mm
2018= non-sunroof-306mm/sunroof-304mm
Compressed = 63mm/67mm

So Q2 would be lower for 2018 springs actually are lower vs. all the others who were raised up in 2018. I am not sure this will result in more lowering but could.

·
Vendor
2,601 Posts
I think we need a nice table with year, model and height. @Alfissimo do you volunteer
Sure.

If you wanted to use Q2 springs, the sunroof version is the better version for the Q4.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@ Alfissimo, after reading your charts, i m more puzzled than ever.. o_O. In simple terms, from my 2017 Q4 , of the 4 sets of springs (17 QV/Q2) and ( 18 QV/Q2) which one will lower it by 1" or so all around, and which set of springs are most firm, or soft for that matter?

1 - 20 of 175 Posts