Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amidst the RWD TC complaints on this forum, I want to take time and rave about the q4 system. I spend some good time in the Carolina storm today (we’re seeing 4-6 inches of snow) and the driving was sublime.

Stock 19in rims on pirreli rfts, the traction with instant power to all 4 wheels is awesome and let’s you propel forward on 3in of snow with no issues, whether it’s on a turn or in a line. Balls out, the tail happily swings out while the front wheels take charge and keep you headed where you command the car to go.

On a non performance package equipped (non lsd) car you do hear the faint clicks and experience mild throttle interruptions (in a rhythmical pattern) of TC intervention trying to correct wheel spin. I imagine the LSD in this system would free the driver to push the tail out and drift a bit more aggressively.

I’ve always been happy with the q4 in its dry/wet talent and this was a pleasant surprise. I think the q4 is more than just AWD. For the Giulia, it’s a performance upgrade and the most worthwhile option out there (that, and probably the q2 rwd/lsd spec but I’ve only experienced the non-q2).

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Are your neighbors watching agog as you play in the snow? Dare I ask how well your Giulia stops?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they were certainly a bit bewildered to see a car like that take off from the neighborhood during a washout. I think the stopping is just ok. i think the car does GREAT at slowing things down but when comes to coming to an rapid stop on ice, the ABS starts munching down. Comparable to other modern ABS systems where the law of physics always preside.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Completely Agree!

I have a ’17 Montecarlo Blue Ti Q4 Lusso with the performance package. I have yet to sense the TC system working. In the wet the car can be coaxing into swinging its tail out. In the most recent snows, I found an empty parking lot and took my son out to practice snow driving. The Giulia was in its element–slipping and sliding and throwing its tail out, but always under control. Of all my cars, only my SAAB ever felt more secure in the snow.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"tail happily swings out"

"throwing it's tail out"

this makes me happy while I wait to order the stelvio quad, which stays AWD in race mode.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
mine was awesome today to with the all seasons on top of the snow capped hills I live in :D

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Up here in Minnesota I have been enjoying weeks of snow in my Q4 as well. Super fun. I've just been a bit unsure of how much the front wheels really are doing in loose snow. I guess I have to push it in a parking lot or something to test the limits... Seems like a dumb a$$ thing to test on the road when there are weather warnings...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have about a foot and half of snow now and this car is a TANK!! I have Nokian studded tires and have yet to feel this car slip. Drove to work one day, just like normal, about 10 miles of mostly highway, which runs along a river, so it gets quite foggy. When I got into town, at a four way, I noticed cars spinning out and having a hard time moving from a full stop and good old Giulia didn’t hesitate once. That’s when I realized that everything was covered in a sheet of ice and I had been driving like normal.

It performs equally as well in several inches of slush. Freaking love this car!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a ’17 Montecarlo Blue Ti Q4 Lusso with the performance package. I have yet to sense the TC system working. In the wet the car can be coaxing into swinging its tail out. In the most recent snows, I found an empty parking lot and took my son out to practice snow driving. The Giulia was in its element–slipping and sliding and throwing its tail out, but always under control. Of all my cars, only my SAAB ever felt more secure in the snow.
I have the same package, Q4 with LSD, and it is sublime on ice and snow with just the all season tires. TC never intervenes.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have about a foot and half of snow now and this car is a TANK!! I have Nokian studded tires and have yet to feel this car slip. Drove to work one day, just like normal, about 10 miles of mostly highway, which runs along a river, so it gets quite foggy. When I got into town, at a four way, I noticed cars spinning out and having a hard time moving from a full stop and good old Giulia didn’t hesitate once. That’s when I realized that everything was covered in a sheet of ice and I had been driving like normal.

It performs equally as well in several inches of slush. Freaking love this car!!
You are driving studded tires on the highway? I’d love to see a pic of your tires. Must be very noisy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You are driving studded tires on the highway? I’d love to see a pic of your tires. Must be very noisy.
I always use studs in the winter, most people from here do, as we get sheets of ice on top of everything (and last year we had about 5 feet of snow, which the studs don’t help with, but suffice to say, I live in a winter zone). Yes, it’s a bit louder when they’re on, but worth it. I get used to it after a day or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,157 Posts
I always use studs in the winter, most people from here do, as we get sheets of ice on top of everything (and last year we had about 5 feet of snow, which the studs don’t help with, but suffice to say, I live in a winter zone). Yes, it’s a bit louder when they’re on, but worth it. I get used to it after a day or so.
What size are those?

I am surprised that you are allowed to run studs in Washington State. They certainly are not legal in California.

·
Registered
256 Posts
What size are those?

I am surprised that you are allowed to run studs in Washington State. They certainly are not legal in California.
They’re 18’s and studs are required to be off by April 15 each year. (I’m on the east side of the state and it’s not uncommon for us to get several feet of snow)

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
They’re 18’s and studs are required to be off by April 15 each year. (I’m on the east side of the state and it’s not uncommon for us to get several feet of snow)
225 45R18 or something taller? They look like there is a lot of sidewall.

Last year Bridgeport Ca got dumped on every couple of days. Snow depth peaked at just over 4', of course accumulated snow fall was much higher. This year we haven't gotten anything worth mentioning.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Last year Bridgeport Ca got dumped on every couple of days. Snow depth peaked at just over 4', of course accumulated snow fall was much higher. This year we haven't gotten anything worth mentioning.
I saw a new report that snowpack levels are at about 25% of normal. Not good for the state as a whole.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
I saw a new report that snowpack levels are at about 25% of normal. Not good for the state as a whole.
You couldn't prove 25% by me. I see more like 1 to 5%. Maybe there is more at high elevations where the roads are closed?
At my property this time last year: 40-48 inches; today 1-2 inches--the lowest I have ever seen at the end of January.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts