Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Going from N to D mode firms up the suspension slightly, but if you push the shock absorber symbol in the center of the DNA knob, it will soften the suspension while keeping everything else in D mode. The symbol won't light up in N or A mode.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Going from N to D mode firms up the suspension slightly, but if you push the shock absorber symbol in the center of the DNA knob, it will soften the suspension while keeping everything else in D mode. The symbol won't light up in N or A mode.
Is the softer suspension in D mode softer than regular stock on a car without active or is is just like stock?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Is the softer suspension in D mode softer than regular stock on a car without active or is is just like stock?
On mine it feels just like it goes back to N mode. I have a Q4 though, so I don't know if that would be different for a Q2, although I can't imagine it would be since you're still in D mode for everything else.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The active suspension is more than just a soft/hard setting like the 164S and 164Q had back in the '90's. I think there are more than two just settings on the dampers, and the damping control is part of the Chassis Domain Control which takes into consideration everything from steering position, braking, cornering G-Force, transmission gear, throttle position, etc. to individually control each damper. I believe that the mechanical spring and roll bar values are the same between Q and non-Q Giulias, but the electronically controlled dampers are a little better in every characteristic (squat, dive, lean, ride quality). So, while dynamic mode stiffens things up overall, the active suspension is always adjusting to the immediate condition.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Another Q2 question. Did anyone here drive both the Q2 and base RWD?
I have the base and am not a huge fan on how the power is cut off as soon as some sliding is detected on the rear tires (both in curve and straight).
I wonder if the LSD limits the nannies in some way.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,903 Posts
The active suspension is more than just a soft/hard setting like the 164S and 164Q had back in the '90's. I think there are more than two just settings on the dampers, and the damping control is part of the Chassis Domain Control which takes into consideration everything from steering position, braking, cornering G-Force, transmission gear, throttle position, etc. to individually control each damper. I believe that the mechanical spring and roll bar values are the same between Q and non-Q Giulias, but the electronically controlled dampers are a little better in every characteristic (squat, dive, lean, ride quality). So, while dynamic mode stiffens things up overall, the active suspension is always adjusting to the immediate condition.
Almost. According to data provided by MacGeek, the active dampers are driven by accelerometers that are mounted on the suspension. The damping rate is varied in real time in response to demand. This allows a soft ride without the bouncing that is associated with a soft ride. I do not know if other factors are considered, but there was no indication of such on the charts that MacGeek provided.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,903 Posts
I have the base and am not a huge fan on how the power is cut off as soon as some sliding is detected on the rear tires (both in curve and straight).
According to MacGeek's answer to my similar question, the traction control understands the torque ratio of the LSD and modulates the brakes accordingly. I do not know if that translates into the behavior that you are asking about.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I have a Q2, if I am being honest it has been sideways a couple times without cutting power. So maybe it does make a difference?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a Q2, if I am being honest it has been sideways a couple times without cutting power. So maybe it does make a difference?
My experience agrees with this observation. I have had my Q2 in mild oversteer several times and the power was not cut.

Reactions: Aeterna

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My experience agrees with this observation. I have had my Q2 in mild oversteer several times and the power was not cut.
Hm. I sent an email to my sales guy asking if it would be possible to install the LSD on a base RWD but he never replied.
I was set to buy my car at the end of the lease and start doing all the mods (intake, ecu, rear wheels) but now I am wondering if instead I should turn it back and lease the 2019 q2... Which here in the midwest are also impossible to find. It's all Q4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.