Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time i went back to the dealer I saw all 2018 models they stock almost all q4. I don't recall see any q2 around.
For non QV Giulia you can have either q4 (rear biased) or q2 (Lsd).

Technology-wise, is the q4 acting faster to help on uneven traction or lsd acting faster? q4 may help on launch as well as cornering, Which option you would pick?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The Q4 is AWD but it functions as RWD unless and until a situation where AWD kicks in, such as snow, ice, wet or slippery road conditions. The Q2 is RWD only. It's an extra $2k for the AWD option. According to Alfa, the Q4 does 0-60 mph in 5.1 seconds versus the Q2 which does it in 5.6 so the AWD model is half a second faster to 60, but I doubt anyone can actually feel 1/2 a second. It's main benefit is traction under slippery road conditions. I have one and it works so well you can't even tell it's kicked in. Going from dry to snow/ice is so smooth I can't even tell when the AWD engaged, but you can sure feel how stable the car is in those conditions.

If you get the Ti, it has an adjustable suspension/lsd option called the Ti Performance Package which I think is $1,200. If you need AWD by all means get that option if you can. When in D mode, you can soften the suspension for rough surfaces yet keep all the traction benefits of the performance package. Obviously this isn't something you're going to do on snow or ice, but if you're looking at 'performance driving' it's magic.

There's no downside to having the Q4 other than the extra $2k. If you're in an area that gets snow and ice, it's a no brainer. You'll want it. Depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Mine is my daily driver and I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Q4, my only car and needs to be good in New Hampshire snow, plus faster than the Q2, at least on paper

Of course, Q2 with LSD package/Ti Perf Package and staggered setup would be a heck of a car too, but I am very very happy with my Q4

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've got the Q2. The manual lists 5.5 0-60 for it. It lists 5.1 for the AWD. The manual lists the RWD Giulia a hair under 3500 pounds and adds 100 pounds or so for the AWD. I didn't get to drive the AWD, but I can tell you my Q2 is amazing.

I'd imagine the Q2 is easier to break free, but I am still within the first oil change so I'm trying to keep my spirited driving to a minimum (it's hard lol). You can (it's optional) get the staggard setup with the Q2 as well (225s front and 255s at the rear). I haven't actually timed my 0-60s. I'd love to know what Q2 owners are actually getting but that's besides the point. All in all, the Q2 is fantastic and if there's not inclement weather in your neck of the woods then I would be more than happy to pick up the Q2.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
also never tried the Q2. AWD was a must for me due to where I live though I will say there were days it was spinning on ice with stock tires. I will get winters for her. VERY happy with the Q4 track performance too, gives a lot a run for it's money, best in corners. Depends on your needs/where you live i'd say, they're both excellent i'm sure :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Like everyone here mentioned, living in snow area means Q4.
Also, in good weather, I noticed that when I really push it around curves, I feel like I am at least Jeremy Clarkson as the car starts to oversteer in a very controlled manner- now that is a miracle for a car that should understeer. Fronts start to get power, and suck it right into the curve. If you want RWD...wait for a used QV (my $0.02).
Already had my first 1.0G turn at 50mph, car is amazing.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I deliberately ordered a Q2 LSD after my Q4 test drive. But I was coming from a couple of hundred thousand miles driving BMW E46’s.

Personally didn’t like the sensation while corning as the Giulia starts to transfer power to the front. If I reach the traction limit I would rather is just the rear that starts to slide.

Prefer the wheel gap on the Q2.

I chose to spend the Q2 vs Q4 price difference on a set of 18” rims with real snow tires and in fresh snow / winter weather the Q2 with LSD has been absolutely planted and relaxing to drive. In those conditions the Giulia was doing much better than the AWD’s on all seasons which were just spinning all the wheels and were essentially out of control. The AR engineering groups did a fantastic job making the Giulia easy to drive for amateurs when traction is poor with no drama or flashing warning lights. Given the ground clearance of the Giulia it’s not the right car for deep snow but for my part of the country everything will have ground to a halt long before that becomes the limiting factor.

I’m just glad both choices are available.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Question for you all.

My Charger has an active AWD system similar to the Q4, where it's only on if it detects slip, rains, or is below 40 degrees F. However, it's also on in Sport mode, when using M mode, and it stays on for a good 10 minutes when slip is detected. Does the Q4 system in the Giulia only transfer power exactly when it's needed, or is it a system like my Charger that changes modes when it needs to?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
I deliberately ordered a Q2 LSD after my Q4 test drive. But I was coming from a couple of hundred thousand miles driving BMW E46’s.

Personally didn’t like the sensation while corning as the Giulia starts to transfer power to the front. If I reach the traction limit I would rather is just the rear that starts to slide.

Prefer the wheel gap on the Q2.

I chose to spend the Q2 vs Q4 price difference on a set of 18” rims with real snow tires and in fresh snow / winter weather the Q2 with LSD has been absolutely planted and relaxing to drive. In those conditions the Giulia was doing much better than the AWD’s on all seasons which were just spinning all the wheels and were essentially out of control. The AR engineering groups did a fantastic job making the Giulia easy to drive for amateurs when traction is poor with no drama or flashing warning lights. Given the ground clearance of the Giulia it’s not the right car for deep snow but for my part of the country everything will have ground to a halt long before that becomes the limiting factor.

I’m just glad both choices are available.
With AWD and snow tires, ground clearance is definitely the Giulia's limiting factor (typed as I watch the snow piling up).

Question for you all.

My Charger has an active AWD system similar to the Q4, where it's only on if it detects slip, rains, or is below 40 degrees F. However, it's also on in Sport mode, when using M mode, and it stays on for a good 10 minutes when slip is detected. Does the Q4 system in the Giulia only transfer power exactly when it's needed, or is it a system like my Charger that changes modes when it needs to?
The answer to your question is yes. I never liked that below 40 logic when I had a Chrysler 300; it robbed me of cold weather/dry road MPG, and what's the point if the system can switch automatically from RWD to AWD in less than a tire rotation? I did like that the car had a traction/stability control defeat button.

·
Registered
383 Posts
With AWD and snow tires, ground clearance is definitely the Giulia's limiting factor (typed as I watch the snow piling up).

The answer to your question is yes. I never liked that below 40 logic when I had a Chrysler 300; it robbed me of cold weather/dry road MPG, and what's the point if the system can switch automatically from RWD to AWD in less than a tire rotation? I did like that the car had a traction/stability control defeat button.
Yes I agree, it also prevented me from doing some of the dumber shenanigans I would have like to do. RWD in my charger is a lot more lively and fun, while AWD leaves me spinning the two inside wheels on a tight and fast turn. Hoping the LSD in my Q4 resolves that!

However when it comes to plowing through 6 inches of snow, I'm glad I chose AWD. 0:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Drove both. Can't really say I could tell a difference as both drives were on dry roads. Would have taken the Q2 as I didn't think I really need AWD but the Q2 I wanted sold just two days before I could make it to the dealer, so I got the equivalently-equipped Q4. The AWD did come in very handy last weekend when I had a three hour drive through falling snow and sleet (the car just powered through half-frozen slush with no problem or hesitation, whereas with my RWD cars of past I would have been much more tentative), though if I end up trading up to the rumored 350HP Veloce, I'll probably go with the Q2 if offered. I just like the romance of RWD I guess.

Reactions: ybba

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes I agree, it also prevented me from doing some of the dumber shenanigans I would have like to do. RWD in my charger is a lot more lively and fun, while AWD leaves me spinning the two inside wheels on a tight and fast turn. Hoping the LSD in my Q4 resolves that!

However when it comes to plowing through 6 inches of snow, I'm glad I chose AWD. 0:)
Yeah I'm assuming he drove a Q4 without the Ti Sport Performance Package. The Q4 I drove had it and I had no problem pushing power to the rear. In fact near my dealer is an empty super twisty road they take you on to drive, I had the pedal to the floor and spun the **** out of the rear, I was actually surprised at how much spin it had, very little slippage but I did have to tone it down a little as I wasn't so familiar with the car. My 335xi will not spin but will slide, I prefer the way the Q4 with Ti Sport Perf works, I can go slide around the turn where the BMW just slides out of the turn which isn't as safe or controlled.

Reactions: Alfaholico and ybba

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Yeah I'm assuming he drove a Q4 without the Ti Sport Performance Package. The Q4 I drove had it and I had no problem pushing power to the rear. In fact near my dealer is an empty super twisty road they take you on to drive, I had the pedal to the floor and spun the **** out of the rear, I was actually surprised at how much spin it had, very little slippage but I did have to tone it down a little as I wasn't so familiar with the car. My 335xi will not spin but will slide, I prefer the way the Q4 with Ti Sport Perf works, I can go slide around the turn where the BMW just slides out of the turn which isn't as safe or controlled.
In which mode did you achieve that spin?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Q2 for lighter weight (which helps literally everything), lighter weight, lower CG, quicker responses, and summer tire option. The only place a Q4 will be quicker is off the line from a standstill and in low-grip, assuming same tire for same tire.

For the winter, I'll fit proper snow tires and run circles around all the AWD cars on no-season (all-season) tires :)

Yeah, yeah.... AWD + snow tires is even better. I have an E90 330xi 6MT equipped like that and its ridiculous fun, but ONLY in the snow :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
The Q4 weight difference is negligible. There is no practical downside to the Q4 other than the cost. The upsides (quicker, better traction, etc.) are worth it.

If a Q4 is in your budget, do it. Even if your climate doesn’t demand AWD, if you drive in urban environments like I do, the traction and quickness from a stop e.g., think left turns across traffic in light rain) are crucial.

But yes, the Q4s come with all season tires. You would need to get proper rubber as soon as you can.

One more thing - the Performance package is sooo worth it!

·
Registered
144 Posts

I do feel like the Q4 is way more "delicate" and sophisticated when it does put power to the front wheels. Not sure how the Charger behaves, but when I had a Trailblazer SS AWD, when the fronts got the power, it was sudden, and brutal. Once I lost the traction in the rear in a puddle, the fronts kicked into action, and I ended up power sliding instead of turning. That is an extreme example, but the only other AWD I can think of that was so seamless in transferring power like the Q4 was the Mazdaspeed 6.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In which mode did you achieve that spin?
I had the DNA dial turned to D and had the transmission still fully auto.

I do feel like the Q4 is way more "delicate" and sophisticated when it does put power to the front wheels. Not sure how the Charger behaves, but when I had a Trailblazer SS AWD, when the fronts got the power, it was sudden, and brutal. Once I lost the traction in the rear in a puddle, the fronts kicked into action, and I ended up power sliding instead of turning. That is an extreme example, but the only other AWD I can think of that was so seamless in transferring power like the Q4 was the Mazdaspeed 6.
The AWD in my 2010 TTS was so amazing. Too bad the S3 doesn't have the same setup or it'd be a better contender against the Giulia for a sporty Sedan. The second best AWD system I've driven was the SH-AWD in my 2010 Acura TL, it was much better than BMW's x-drive.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I'd be with the Q2 crowd except for the 3 mode thing, and how the electronics interact, which confuses the issue, unless you get to try both back to back in a variety of situations and conditions.
so you get on the gas in a Q2, it starts to slip a bit - and it cuts power.

on the Q4 it transfers "excess" power, so you go. but then you get the pulling on the wheel from hunting for traction - or do you, does it send it back so you never get that fwd yanking through the wheel thing?

either way the amount of yaw is severely limited.

Alfa decided for me on mine, stelvio is Q4, quad gets 4 modes (OK, I decided to wait for that) - and I am quite anxious to find out what whoever specced the logic on Race mode had in mind/as preferences.

I rather expect there will be times I like the AWD, and times I won't. but most of the time it won't make a difference (ok, it's a little more weight - so are my groceries, or a full tank of gas)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'd be with the Q2 crowd except for the 3 mode thing, and how the electronics interact, which confuses the issue, unless you get to try both back to back in a variety of situations and conditions.
so you get on the gas in a Q2, it starts to slip a bit - and it cuts power.

on the Q4 it transfers "excess" power, so you go. but then you get the pulling on the wheel from hunting for traction - or do you, does it send it back so you never get that fwd yanking through the wheel thing?

either way the amount of yaw is severely limited.

Alfa decided for me on mine, stelvio is Q4, quad gets 4 modes (OK, I decided to wait for that) - and I am quite anxious to find out what whoever specced the logic on Race mode had in mind/as preferences.

I rather expect there will be times I like the AWD, and times I won't. but most of the time it won't make a difference (ok, it's a little more weight - so are my groceries, or a full tank of gas)
Can't wait until you get the AWD beast and hearing about a AWD burn out in Race Mode. Also, any luck on finding out if you will be able to get a hitch fabricated for it?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
all I know right now on hitches is that I can get a Curt class II with 2' receiver (fellow who had the protoytpe done is very pleased), designed for regular stelvio, so some stuff might need to be moved, someone else has ordered a factory receiver hitch in the US, but doesn't have specs, and an alfa part # and drawn diagram have been posted on the stelvio forum as well.
I don't see an issue as of yet, and maybe a big chunk of steel on the back will give more neutral handling!
AWD burn out? isn't that what snow is for, so you don't do two years worth of wear in 200 feet?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts