Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For fun I went to test drive a new M4. Sadly it's easier to test drive a BMW without too much fuss than a Q even after putting down a deposit. But back to the question. How does a Q compare to M cars? Coming from a 997 I found the M intimidating. Even in the most comfort setting it felt quite stiff. The engine is brutal in the delivery and in a raw weather in a late May evening in MA not totally inspiring confidence. I was keep feeling the back loosing composure and the esp cutting off power...

In my Carrera I've never felt so intimidated. Is this what I signed up for? Getting some cold feet. :|

·
Registered
94 Posts
For fun I went to test drive a new M4. Sadly it's easier to test drive a BMW without too much fuss than a Q even after putting down a deposit. But back to the question. How does a Q compare to M cars? Coming from a 997 I found the M intimidating. Even in the most comfort setting it felt quite stiff. The engine is brutal in the delivery and in a raw weather in a late May evening in MA not totally inspiring confidence. I was keep feeling the back loosing composure and the esp cutting off power...

In my Carrera I've never felt so intimidated. Is this what I signed up for? Getting some cold feet. :|
As a new Quadrifoglio owner for about 2 weeks, i love the car, and i use the word "love" due to lack of a better word. The car is not intimidating at all, but don't forget that it has 505 HP. The thing absolutely rips when you want it to. Driving around town in "N" mode is the best. "A" mode is to slug like, but it does improve MPH exponentially.

I'm assuming you ordered a Quadrifoglio?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Me too two weeks into my Quadrifoglio and it not at all intimidating. It keeps its compusure even in race mode. At the same time it is very comfortable as long as you have in "N" or "D" mode and hit the dampners button. By the way, I tried "N" mode a couple of times and yes gas mileage really umproves but I cant do it. The power delivery is like waiting for paint to dry. Once the rpm go up it finally moves but to me it seems to always be in the wrong gear. Mostly I have in "D" and occasionally in "Race" mode, the sound is addicting.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"By the way, I tried "N" mode a couple of times and yes gas mileage really improves but I cant do it."

:D

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The Q will feel solid, kind of like the 997, except it will have more power....... unless of course we are talking about a GT3......

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
As a Point of Reference

to give you a true point of reference on the 2.
I just was at MMC and drove the M2, M3ZCP & M4ZCP at the track there....it is a technical & very fast track with 15 turns in the configuration they had it set up for that day. They took out the long straight with the kink and cut in half to keep speeds down I'm sure.
The gem was hands down the M2, it is a purpose built track car that is easy to use as a DD....
The M4 was nice, but so big and you felt it...but it really did hustle about for a big coupe`. plenty of power on tap, stellar brakes, and the inside is really lush for sure....
The M3ZCP left me wanting....it was quick for sure...but when it was pressed you could feel it was getting unsteady....in the hands of a very good driver like the instructors that were there they made it look easy....to a novice it is a hand-full when you are pressing/trying to go fast....the brakes were CCBs so brake fade was non-existent, in fact the brakes are so good that you are inspired to brake later than you would...but the chassis has a hard time keeping up...
I believe that the Quad is a better track car in the right hands....if you take equal drivers..the Quad will always win....if the M3 driver is of a higher caliber than that will tip things to the M3....if the Quad driver is better...the m3 will just get smoked...period.
I am seriously considering buying the M2CS that is supposed to be coming here....I left so impressed with that car....it reminds me of my E30 M3 only with double the power....the car needed only some R compound tires and it would have blistered the M3/M4....
Good luck with your decision
Regards
M

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
be interesting to see the M2 CS specs! I'm potentially looking for a fast/track car about 2019/2020 so I wonder how it'd compare price wise between a Quad that's say one or two years old and performance wise. The M2 was something I considered but I was too early in the day to get any kind of 1/2 year old deal on it without being in the $55-60's range and didn't want to go that high as 50 was my cut off for what I needed :)

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
be interesting to see the M2 CS specs! I'm potentially looking for a fast/track car about 2019/2020 so I wonder how it'd compare price wise between a Quad that's say one or two years old and performance wise. The M2 was something I considered but I was too early in the day to get any kind of 1/2 year old deal on it without being in the $55-60's range and didn't want to go that high as 50 was my cut off for what I needed :)
the CS will be priced higher than the standard M2. You can get a "stripper" M2 for mid to high 50's..by that I mean you don't check the box for DCT OR Executive Package....apple play etc. however some are getting a premium as there is a year wait supposedly on the M2....used ones are around but not much of a discount for getting a used one it would seem.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Yeah I saw 'one' locally for 60k and that was it.... the 'Stripper' package sounds awesome though lol! Think I'd want a drivable/track car too, not quite ready to go full roll cage yet though I can do racing seats

·
Registered
193 Posts
the CS will be priced higher than the standard M2. You can get a "stripper" M2 for mid to high 50's..by that I mean you don't check the box for DCT OR Executive Package....apple play etc. however some are getting a premium as there is a year wait supposedly on the M2....used ones are around but not much of a discount for getting a used one it would seem.
You can get an M2 with every option except the "Driver's Pkg" for 58K. Getting MSRP is now no problem in competitive markets and many are now getting 1-3K under MSRP. I'd get one but I need 4-doors. That's why I'm now leaning towards the LCI M3.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
You can get an M2 with every option except the "Driver's Pkg" for 58K. Getting MSRP is now no problem in competitive markets and many are now getting 1-3K under MSRP. I'd get one but I need 4-doors. That's why I'm now leaning towards the LCI M3.
Getting a build allocation is though...at least in my area....the only dealer in my neck of the woods that can "source" an allocation is BMW of Mt.Kisco as they are an AutoNation dealer....they swap with their network nationwide...BMW of Greenwich & Mamaroneck said they have none to build, & BMW of Westchester I won't deal with....I suppose it all depends on where you are...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I am seriously considering buying the M2CS that is supposed to be coming here....I left so impressed with that car....it reminds me of my E30 M3 only with double the power....the car needed only some R compound tires and it would have blistered the M3/M4....
Good luck with your decision
Regards
M
Professore, when is it coming? Now you have me double guessing myself, especially since the QV doesn't do burnouts......:grin2:

Reactions: John_K_348 and FNM

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Professore, when is it coming? Now you have me double guessing myself, especially since the QV doesn't do burnouts......:grin2:
supposedly the M2 CS (Club Sport) will be in production next year (March 2018) it will share the same drive-train as the M3/M4 (S55 engine) just slightly de-tuned to 400hp....the trick here is the lightweight nature of the M2...
but don't get me wrong, the M2 will NOT replace the Quad no way!...I will sell the E39 M5 to help finance the purchase...as much as I love that car....it's time to let her go...the Quad is just so much fun..:grin2:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
supposedly the M2 CS (Club Sport) will be in production next year (March 2018) it will share the same drive-train as the M3/M4 (S55 engine) just slightly de-tuned to 400hp....the trick here is the lightweight nature of the M2...
but don't get me wrong, the M2 will NOT replace the Quad no way!...I will sell the E39 M5 to help finance the purchase...as much as I love that car....it's time to let her go...the Quad is just so much fun..:grin2:
Grazie per aver chiarificato!
I still have dreams about my test drive with Sophia!:smile2:

I can't wait to have my own Quadrifoglio!

A presto!

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Grazie per aver chiarificato!
I still have dreams about my test drive with Sophia!:smile2:

I can't wait to have my own Quadrifoglio!

A presto!
Dottore just pull the trigger!...find the right dealer/deal and order yourself one...
La vita e` troppo corta!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Dottore just pull the trigger!...find the right dealer/deal and order yourself one...
La vita e` troppo corta!
As a matter of fact I have a buyer for my 911, so I may just order la bella next month!

I am going to order her with the Tecnico wheels so we are fratelli, ma non gemelli.......:wink2:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
"Hagia (Santa) Sophia!" And my birthday is next month. I'm a Gemelli but I want bright 5 hole wheels. :D Get ready, Paolo ... life IS too short and that's becoming my mantra.
:grin2:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all for the insights. My reading is that the Q is a totally different sport car compared to the M. More docile but aggressive when pushed. Possibly the best of both worlds. In a perfect world I would liked to test drive it before dropping almost $80K but hey, you only live once.

Bright Tecnico is the way to go. light, cheap and gorgeous.

I just sold my 911 to a wealthy Spaniard. Normally 911 buyers do all the checks but this dude didn't even test drive it... I was like WTF is going on. Is my price too good? In any event the Carrera is gone and Im a little sad. She was a good ride!

As for the M2, yes seems like a great little car, but quite a bit lower on power. I would rather stick to the Q.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Thanks to all for the insights. My reading is that the Q is a totally different sport car compared to the M. More docile but aggressive when pushed. Possibly the best of both worlds. In a perfect world I would liked to test drive it before dropping almost $80K but hey, you only live once.

Bright Tecnico is the way to go. light, cheap and gorgeous.

I just sold my 911 to a wealthy Spaniard. Normally 911 buyers do all the checks but this dude didn't even test drive it... I was like WTF is going on. Is my price too good? In any event the Carrera is gone and Im a little sad. She was a good ride!

As for the M2, yes seems like a great little car, but quite a bit lower on power. I would rather stick to the Q.
oh I am not suggesting the M2 to you or anyone who is debating between the Quad & M3ZCP...
Just was an observation after having driven all 3 M's on the track...it was the most fun and best handling of the bunch on the track...
myself & @mc3456 had F80 M3's...mine was a pre-ZCP car...so the power difference is very glaring...the ZCP is the way to go for apples to apples..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.