Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a 2018 Giulia Quad and noticed the attractive pricing all seems to be out of my state (California). I would be loving the idea of purchasing the car elsewhere and taking it on a road trip back home but.....

1) I believe it is illegal to register a new car (<7500 miles) in CA which is not CA certified emissions (certain exceptions apply like the military)
2) CA certification has to be performed prior to purchase and certification is documented on the emission control label as "CA certified"
3) Does anyone know if these CA certified cars are ever found outside of California? Seems unlikely but I am sure someone has thought of this in past?

Sorry if asked and answered previously.

Charles

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looking to purchase a 2018 Giulia Quad and noticed the attractive pricing all seems to be out of my state (California). I would be loving the idea of purchasing the car elsewhere and taking it on a road trip back home but.....

1) I believe it is illegal to register a new car (<7500 miles) in CA which is not CA certified emissions (certain exceptions apply like the military)
2) CA certification has to be performed prior to purchase and certification is documented on the emission control label as "CA certified"
3) Does anyone know if these CA certified cars are ever found outside of California? Seems unlikely but I am sure someone has thought of this in past?

Charles
I purchased my Quad out of state and live in CA. I believe they are all 50-state vehicles, but when you find one that you like at a dealer just have them verify. Once you purchase the car and get it to CA you just need to have it inspected and get a smog check, no big deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just talk to the dealer you are in contact with. I contacted a vegas dealer and he told me that he works with CA customers all the time. I also believe they are all 50 state emission certified. But the dealer will know for sure

·
Registered
483 Posts
I disagree. Orange Coast Alfa in Costa Mesa gave me a screaming deal on my MY18 Ti Sport AWD with sunroof, drivers active and passive assist, and performance pack. I lease, so you may come to different numbers, but the sale price of the vehicle prior to tax title and registration was approximately $41750.

I'd give them a shot if you are within a few hours.

Charles

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought my QV from the Bakersfield dealer. They gave me $10k off and delivered to my home in the Bay Area. Give them a try if they have one you like. I did most the deal over text message and they were really easy to work with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most CA dealers are keeping their 2018 Quad inventory low and their online list prices high.
This includes (but is certainly not limited to) Bakersfield and Costa Mesa.

Towbin in Las Vegas appears to be extraordinairly competitive in their Quad pricing so I may
use them as a great option if the 50 state emission thing works out.

Charles

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in the Bay Area, and bought my Quadrifoglio in Seattle. There was a pretty good discount at Alfa Romeo of Seattle, I like visiting Seattle, the drive back to the Bay Area along the coast was beautiful, and I had never been to Oregon - so it was an opportunity to cross that state off the list (only 6 states left).

It is a little more work to get all the paperwork handled when purchasing out of state. Here’s the process for me:
- bought the car in Washington, which has no state sales tax
- the dealership provided a 3 day transit permit so I could drive the car back home
- the dealership provided me with a copy of the sales contract, and mailed the title to the DMV in California (after 10 days or so)
- I made a first trip to the DMV to start the registration process... fill out the application and pay taxes and fees. Since the title hadn’t arrived yet, I could only get a 30 day temporary registration - but that allows me to drive the car.
- go to a smog check station and get a smog certificate (trivially easy, do not worry about this step)
- I finally got mail from the DMV saying the title had arrived, so now I need to go back to the DMV to finish things off
- I haven’t done this step yet, but at the DMV someone needs to verify the VIN on the car matches the VIN on the paperwork. Theoretically they will also check for any mods done to the car that make it not legal in California (aftermarket intakes, exhausts, etc that are “off road use only” and not CARB legal).
- after the vehicle verification and submitting the smog certificate, I’ll get license plates.

I left out the insurance stuff from the list, but that’s another thing you need to take care of.

Another wrinkle is I came back over the Golden Gate Bridge which has automated license plate reading toll booths - and I had no license plate. I haven’t gotten any nasty letters in the mail about that yet... there doesn’t even seem to be a way I could actually pay the toll - everything on line assumes you either have a permanent registration or a CA issues temporary registration, not an out of state temporary registration.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I purchased my quad from Towbin at about $5K off the sticker. Easy peasy. Flew into Vegas in the morning, caught a ride to the dealer and was out driving through Red Rock Canyon by lunchtime. Spent the night, caught an Elton John swan song show, and had a blast driving her back to the Bay the next day.

It's a 50-state emission car so no worries purchasing out of state. As others have said, you need to get a VIN check and smog test and you are good to go.

·
Registered
573 Posts
- bought the car in Washington, which has no state sales tax
Well then I want my 8.6 percent back that I had to pay when I bought mine.

We do have a sales tax, you just don't have to pay it if you are an out of state resident.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts