Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For reasons I'd rather not get into, I need to pull a small camper (<2900lbs) with my Giulia.

Is this possible? I know that many sedans are able to pull these kinds of small trailers, but the Giulia has no tow rating. And, I can't figure out how I might get the appropriate tow package installed.

Does anyone know anything useful? Please don't laugh at me haha.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is there a legitimate reason you can't rent an appropriate vehicle for this adventure?

After you consider the costs of 1) installing a hitch/fabbing a custom one because I don't know if there is one for the Giulia, 2) figuring out the wiring situation for the camper brakes, 3) cost of repairing your Giulia after the inevitable damage/crash, it's probably significantly cheaper and easier to rent a Uhaul or Home Depot truck to pull the camber to wherever you need it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
uhaul sells hitches and installs for about $250. we did it for our Forester a few years back but that was before rear collision warning systems etc. our x3 has a factory hitch. my recommendation is to check out uhauls site and there's another good one for hitches whose name escapes me but it will let you all you need to know and if it's possible.

but I agree, not the most appropriate vehicle for this task.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Can't find one on etrailer.com nor U-Haul. Can you bring your car to Tempe, AZ, and leave it for a couple of days? UHaul will make you one for free if so. Check their website and search up your model for more info.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
272 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
At least that towbar is from Westfalia who is legitimate but the towing capacity for it is maxed at 1600kg (roughly 3,500 pounds) and the Stelvio has a max towing capacity listed at 3,000 pounds (I am assuming this is not a QV) which has the same mechanicals so I would say definitely not as well.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I don't see how that meets the manufacturer's claims. It appears to require punching a hole in the rear diffuser. It appears to occupy the same space as the muffler. It appears to reduce rear ground clearance and/or exit angle. I have never seen a European style tow bar in use in the USA, there may be compatibility issues. Interactions with Giulia's unusual braking, steering and suspension systems may yield instability.

I agree, liability with a rig like this is a big deal.

FWIW: even my 1990 Toyota 4 runner was not rated to pull that much. I would stick with a larger vehicle that has an appropriate tow rating. Rent one if necessary.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
But what if OP wants to only tow and not do anything else?

·
Registered
447 Posts
You could tow with a Giulia, although the weight you're trying to tow might be a bit much. Ignoring the naysayers and skeptics, lets look at it from an objective standpoint.

First, the components that would be needed to tow:
-Gearbox. The Giulia's gearbox is in a lot of vehicles, of which many are rated to tow. So, it can be assumed that the gearbox is capable of towing. Whether it has the appropriate transmission cooler is another story.

- Engine. Is the engine capable of towing? Sure. 280hp/306ft-lb is more than capable.

- Brakes. People tend to forget that you need to STOP both your vehicle and whatever is being towed. Giulia and 2600lbs puts you close to 5000lbs total. Can the brakes handle that? Probably once... but if you need to go down a hill you'll likely experience brake fade.

- Overall weight. You definitely don't want to tow something that is heavier than the tow vehicle. You're getting very close with a 2600lb camper.

- Tow bar. Finding one that is rated to tow is easy. Finding one that is designed for the rear of the Giulia is harder. Finding one with the appropriate class is even a bigger step. You likely can find a hitch that could pull a jetski. But I imagine a camper is going to require a larger ball and higher rated classed hitch. Research this further before you make any irreversible mods.

- Electrical. Easy. Four pin harness is essentially brake lights, turn signals, and parking lights. Easy to tap into the rear lights, and if the brake lights are CAN based, there are harnesses that get around that (or tap into the high mount, which isn't often CAN based). Upping to the seven pin where you have trailer brakes, gets more complicated. You'll want a brake controller.

Now, subjective standpoint... others have made some very sensible options: renting a truck, buying a truck, -- anything but the Giulia. However, our european counterparts are known for caravaning in lesser vehicles:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Like someone else said you will quickly eat brakes. To give you an idea of towing. I use to tow my scissor lifts with my f-150 platinum instead of my f-250s if they were only 3-4 hours away since it was more comfortable and didn’t tie up another truck. My dual axle trailer has brakes. The scissors weigh about 2900lbs and with trailer brakes my F-150 towing would get hairy trying to slow down. I couldn’t imagine towing a camper that’s way higher than your car. The aero is going to be terrible. I notice big aero differences from 150-250. F-250 just pulls it much smoother. If you get any trailer wobble it’s gonna be curtains cugine. That car will just go with it and you will have a bad day. Don’t wish that on anyone. Now with all that said if you only going an hour or two on smooth highway minimal traffic then maybe take a chance. Definitely drive at late night early AM. If you have any Truck options I would definitely go with that.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Sorry @Driven, but he said 2900 pounds and it is a camper that tends to get loaded up with gear and weigh more than "unladen weight". In my past research I found that simplest self contained tent campers tend to weigh around 3500 pounds with fuel, water, and minimal supplies. My Dad had such a trailer long ago, but used a Ford Galaxy 500 to pull it. My cousin had such a trailer that he pulled with a smallish vehicle--and he flipped it.

Giulia 2.0T weighs in at 3500-3750 pounds depending on options. Add in a typical 400 pounds worth of people in the combined vehicle and you get

3500+2900+400 = 6800 pounds on the low side
and
3750+3500+400 = 7650 pounds on the high side.

Most tent campers lack brakes, although it is sometimes an order-able option.

Vehicles that are designed to tow can pull a lot more than their weight. A semi-truck tractor weighing 20000 pounds can pull a 60000 pound trailer or 90000 pounds in 2 trailers. The important bit is that the tow vehicle is designed for towing. This puts requirements on suspension, brakes and steering and was not a consideration when Giulia was designed. In addition, cooling of engine and gearboxes is an issue. Differential overheating is a common issue when using a small vehicle to tow. Trucks put the differentials in an exposed position for a reason.

Renting (or buying) an F150 size truck (or larger) or a Expedition size SUV will make the towing of anything but the smallest trailer a lot safer and more pleasant.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts