Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner's manual mentions being able to pull both paddles to put the car in Neutral (ala Ferrari/Maserati practice). Our car doesn't seem to do that.

I know it's not really necessary with the automatic gearbox, but it's become habit for me with the 4C to put it in Neutral at stop lights to prevent wear on the clutches. And of course with all my classic Alfas (manuals) this is just what I naturally do.

Does anyone else have the issue of not being able to get neutral by pulling both paddles? Is this a feature that is not enabled yet?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I'd like to see the paddle activated neutral selection be enabled as well. There are menu systems in the car that can disable certain features -- makes sense to allow the paddle neutral to be "enabled" from the menu as well. One benefit of having the ability for the alternate paddle input is if there is a switch malfunction in the shifter stalk.

One other thing I posted as a request is to enable the open and close of the windows via the keyfob. This is another feature that is listed as "where available". Well... let's make it "available". Please? Dealers, please feed this forward to your area tech managers to be placed into the software update queue?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Odd that this is confirmed in the owner's manual but not activated. Somewhat similar to the owners that couldn't enable Race mode but then all of a sudden could (minimum mileage?). This will be my first automatic after 4 cars with manual transmissions so I was excited to read about this functionality as I too, like JoeCab like putting the car in neutral when at a stoplight.

From the manual:
To engage N (Neutral): pull
simultaneously both levers.
To activate D (Drive) mode, from N
(Neutral), P (Parking) and R (Reverse):
push the brake pedal and the right lever
(+).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Odd that this is confirmed in the owner's manual but not activated. Somewhat similar to the owners that couldn't enable Race mode but then all of a sudden could (minimum mileage?). This will be my first automatic after 4 cars with manual transmissions so I was excited to read about this functionality as I too, like JoeCab like putting the car in neutral when at a stoplight.

From the manual:
To engage N (Neutral): pull
simultaneously both levers.
To activate D (Drive) mode, from N
(Neutral), P (Parking) and R (Reverse):
push the brake pedal and the right lever
(+).

This is a NHTSA thing. They do not want the chance of the car being in natural with someone not being in it. I understand you will be in the car when you want to do it, but they cant take that chance. Just like and I have not tested this yet but if you leave the car in drive, open the door and take weight off the seat I believe the car defaults to park.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I have to test all this stuff out. Adding it to my little list.

Reactions: Gremlin

·
Registered
23 Posts
The owner's manual mentions being able to pull both paddles to put the car in Neutral (ala Ferrari/Maserati practice). Our car doesn't seem to do that.

I know it's not really necessary with the automatic gearbox, but it's become habit for me with the 4C to put it in Neutral at stop lights to prevent wear on the clutches. And of course with all my classic Alfas (manuals) this is just what I naturally do.

Does anyone else have the issue of not being able to get neutral by pulling both paddles? Is this a feature that is not enabled yet?
I tried yesterday on my 4C coupe 2015 and it is not working as described .

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried yesterday on my 4C coupe 2015 and it is not working as described .
The 4C never had this function. You have to select Neutral with the button on the console.

I was initially excited when I saw the Giulia would offer the option to select Neutral with the paddles, then disappointed when it didn't work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
:confused: I'm not sure I understand. When you stop at a light and take your foot off the brake, isn't the car already in neutral? I mean the car won't move till you step on the gas again.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Tried it today. Negative results.

·
Registered
658 Posts
That is a shame because this definitely a feature I would like to see enabled. Particularly with the fly by wire brakes it would be nice to be able to coast to a stop. Not the biggest thing ever but a nice to have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
:confused: I'm not sure I understand. When you stop at a light and take your foot off the brake, isn't the car already in neutral? I mean the car won't move till you step on the gas again.

No, it is not in neutral. The car is in 1st gear. If you are on a flat surface and take the foot of the brake pedal the car moves forward.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
No, it is not in neutral. The car is in 1st gear. If you are on a flat surface and take the foot of the brake pedal the car moves forward.
Kinda. This is one of the drive-ability tweaks that I hope Alfa Romeo addresses. You may have seen some of the journalists mention that slow speed stops and starts can be a little awkward at times? There is a bit of a "brake-hold" feature that is not always noticeable and it does not happen every time. On my Quadrifoglio, I sometimes (not always) experience an extended brake-hold from a stopped position.

The scenario exists at traffic lights on flat surface where people are moving/inching forward every time a car clears the lane. Everyone needs to move up 5-15 feet... Usually, foot off brake and the car moves forward by itself with no application of the gas pedal. Though, with the "brake-hold", the car stays in place until the gas pedal is touched. Some virtual assistant is holding the car stationary until the gas pedal is touched.

It is interesting in that the first time or two that the phenomena occurred, I was like "what was that?" It has occurred enough times on flat slow-merge lane crawling maneuvers that the car is definitely doing some sort of brake-hold "feature". If it were consistent, I guess it would be more of a "feature" feature. Though, it does not happen every time. Odd.

Thought I'd rattle this off to see if any other owners are experiencing similar?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Hill Start Assists is supposed to activate if grade is more than +/- 5%
Even then, it's only supposed to be active for a couple of seconds.
When setting off, the ESC system control unit maintains the braking pressure on the wheels until the engine torque necessary for starting is reached, or in any case for a maximum of two seconds, allowing your right foot to be moved easily from the brake pedal to the accelerator. When two seconds without starting have elapsed, the system is automatically deactivated, gradually releasing the braking pressure. During this release stage, it is possible to hear a typical mechanical brake release noise, indicating the imminent movement of the car.
Also, while the double pull for neutral is mentioned in EU manual, it's not here in the US owners manual.
I agree it would be nice to have, but looks like a features we don't get in the US.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The both paddle N feature is a Ferrari F1 function with a robotic manual transmission NOT a torque converter like the ZF. Try it with your foot on the brake and if it still doesn't work, try N on the console stick while rolling. This may help reduce wear on the torque clutches but it IS an automatic so there is not as much mechanical slipping and wear like on a dry clutch. The fluid in the ZF is cushioning a lot of the give and take but if we can find a way to smooth out any jerkyness at low speed, it will be welcome. Especially with brake by wire.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread thinking that there might be some new information.
On the UK forum they're talking about using the paddles to do stuff we can't do in the USA, like:
- pull both paddles to go from drive to neutral
- pull both paddles to go from neutral to drive
- while in manual mode, pull both paddles to move the gear selector to the right, back into drive mode
- use the right paddle to move the gear selector from reverse to drive

One thing that we can do in the USA that I didn't know about is that while in drive mode and you've used to paddles to force a downshift, you can long-pull on the right paddle to re-enter drive mode (sooner than it would by just waiting).

My question is: Has anyone found a way, using multiECUscan or other means, to enable the missing functionality on USA cars?

·
Registered
167 Posts
It works on Rest Of World cars just not on North American cars....it functions fine on mine which is a UK car but I rarely use it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
It works fine on mine which is a UK spec car.
It’s most useful in that it works alongside the stop/start feature. When I pull to a full stop and pull both paddles to put her in neutral, the engine still cuts out but as soon as I pull the right paddle to engage 1st, the engine starts up without having to press the accelerator, meaning I have much more proactive control of the stop/start system without having to disable it, and the hill start feature (which won’t work if the engine is off) still works because by the time I take my foot off the brake, the car is already in gear, engine running, ready to go.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts