Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning an extended weekend trip and need advice on a temporary way to protect the front area from road debris. I would prefer a car bra as they are easy to put on and take off. I don't want to use racing tape as that might come off and do more damage. I also looked at the "roll on and peal off" stuff but that melts in the rain. Any ideas?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Would discourage you from using one of those car bra's. On face value they look like a good idea but if you get just a little bit of dirt underneath (between bra and paint) them then the bra becomes sandpaper on your paint as you drive. These bra's don't stay motionless at speed and really screw your paint up. I have learned this lesson the hard way. Best protection is PPF (clear film) for the car. However that is expensive and does not meet your timeline.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have used 3m automotive tape at the racetrack in the past to cover the front end and leading edges of my car and none of it came off. If you lose any on the trip you’ll have extra!

Also, start at the bottom and work you way on when overlapping the tape strips. That way water can only get into the leading edge of the top piece.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would echo what Tmkopp said, as I have learned the hard way as well. Clear bra is about the only logical way to protect the front of your car, unless you were to drive backwards, lol. But then you would need something to protect the rear bumper and trunk area. Hmmm :unsure:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Same camp as @wingler. And don't panic when you come out of your favorite restaurant (when all this shit of the virus ends) and see a dent on one of your doors. Your Alfa Romeo will perform great the same, and you will get constant compliments everywhere, even with a couple of rocks/debris chips on the front !!!!!

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Giulia Ti Sport Q4
126 Posts
I am in the same camp as the two above, drive and enjoy it. Do your best to maintain it, but, drive it.
Having said that, like MDLBC said, I have used the 3M automotive tape on my Ducatis at the track, on the streets and never had an issue. Even at significant speeds, on the track of course.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As the other two above; rock chips are just a small price you pay to drive it and enjoy it. There's no way to prevent every little chip and ding you could possibly get by using the car as a car so you might as well just get used to them so they don't bother you when you find them. Enjoy the positives and don't focus on minor imperfections. If it really will bother you, spend the big money and clear bra as much as you can every several years as even that doesn't last forever.

·
Vendor
2,120 Posts
Just get 3m film and be done with it. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,740 Posts
I’m in the “it’s a car, just drive it” camp.
That's been my Giulia for three years. No regrets. It has earned its keep.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great advice. I agree with them all except (respectfully) the door dings. That drives me crazy. It's one thing to get chips from driving-that's not anyone's fault. But, someone being inconsiderate and just banging their door on yours-not good. I'm probably going to just drive without anything on it.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
273 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice. I agree with them all except (respectfully) the door dings. That drives me crazy. It's one thing to get chips from driving-that's not anyone's fault. But, someone being inconsiderate and just banging their door on yours-not good. I'm probably going to just drive without anything on it.
I've posted this before: Your Vehicle Is Already Broken, Have Fun Breaking It

·
Registered
454 Posts
Our two family cars, mine a QV, have XPEL on the fronts. But on earlier cars, I used a slightly adhesive product called Road Wrap on the hoods. Put it on overlapping with the rearward on first, the forward sheet overlapping an inch or so, then tucking several inches under the rod edges. It would be difficult to put it over the bumper and have it stay on. Thin, so only protect against small rocks, and if it rained and was hot, I would just pull it off. Comes in two widths, and never any paint issues, but I didn't let it steam my paint if wet and hot. But in the end, I still try to avoid being close to trucks and some pickups, and never follow any vehicle hauling ladders. I still do what I ca to avoid rock pecks on my windshield. But in the end, I just have to accept some risk to drive here and there. NV

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I did a 3k mike drive in September 2019 and had no road debris issues. I did another 3K drive in first week of March 2020 and I got a lot of pitting on the front from road salt and other unknowns. I wish I’d done something prior to my last minute decisions to just hit the road.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you do have a 3M film applied, not only do you have less stone chips after long road trips, but in my experience bug splatters seem easier to remove as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone used Rejex? I've been using it for years. I clay and put in on twice a year and the car stays clean. Wheels and all. I'm just going to do that and hope for the best.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I drive about 20k miles a year (pre covid19) and this car attracts rock chips like crazy. I've just accepted it. I considered a clear bra but I actually like washing and waxing (collinite 476s twice a year and turtle wax ice liquid in between) and just decided I didn't want one. Also for the price I could just have the front re sprayed every few years if I decide the chips are too much.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
273 Posts
Also for the price I could just have the front re sprayed every few years if I decide the chips are too much.
You know, this is becoming my attitude as well. For the quotes I've gotten to have PPF installed on the front of my QF I know I can get it resprayed for the same or less in 5-6 years when the chips get out of hand.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts