Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum!

I am currently driving a 2016 Mini John Cooper Works Hardtop, and one that I custom ordered exactly to my specs. I've thoroughly enjoyed the 16k miles I've driven it, and was not looking to swap out of it for anything anytime soon. That said, I was killing time while my wife's car was in the shop (also a mini) and stopped into the Alfa dealership here in Austin. I ended up driving a Giulia, and getting pretty excited about it. I love just about everything about it! The dealers sure have a ton of discounts for these cars, they've got a lot of stock and here in Austin you hardly see them on the roads (part of the appeal for sure).

That said, I'm now just starting to research these forums and am reading a few things here and there about likes and dislikes...at this point I'm still not sure whether I should pull the trigger or not. Just thought I'd stop by and introduce myself at this point.

Love to hear any and all advice when it comes to purchasing a new Alfa.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had three Mini's prior to my Giulia Q4 Ti. I had them from Day 1 of Mini. Two Cooper S and then a CountryManS. When the Alfa came out I was curious and like you, when I drove it, I was very impressed. After 16 years of Minis I was ready for something a bit bigger yet still with the independent streak the Mini originally aspired to. I have had the Alfa now for 6 months and I love it. It is more unique than the Mini was in the early days. I still very rarely see one. I hope that changes. The quality and character of the Giulia are excellent, like the original Mini, and Alfa has a much longer tradition of design and racing experience than Mini. BMW required all original dealers to have standalone Mini dealerships, technicians and sales forces. I think that investment in Mini, as a brand, and the resources of sales and mechanics, meant a lot. Alfa did not do this. I think the dealer network is not as "all in" as the original Mini dealers, who had to be all in because they had bought the local Mini franchise and were on the hook for real estate and a lot more. Anyway, all in all, I would make the jump again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Hello forum!

I am currently driving a 2016 Mini John Cooper Works Hardtop, and one that I custom ordered exactly to my specs. I've thoroughly enjoyed the 16k miles I've driven it, and was not looking to swap out of it for anything anytime soon. That said, I was killing time while my wife's car was in the shop (also a mini) and stopped into the Alfa dealership here in Austin. I ended up driving a Giulia, and getting pretty excited about it. I love just about everything about it! The dealers sure have a ton of discounts for these cars, they've got a lot of stock and here in Austin you hardly see them on the roads (part of the appeal for sure).

That said, I'm now just starting to research these forums and am reading a few things here and there about likes and dislikes...at this point I'm still not sure whether I should pull the trigger or not. Just thought I'd stop by and introduce myself at this point.

Love to hear any and all advice when it comes to purchasing a new Alfa.
Welcome to forum! My honest opinion; stop playing around and pull that trigger. It is the best shot you have ever made. (Just shoot for a 2018 model)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had very similar questions before I bought my Giulia. Many years ago, I drove a BMW M6 and a triumph TR6, And I loved them both, except when the m6 broke down and they had to send off to Stuttgart For a guy named Hans to make a part for it for a minimum of $500 each time. Eventually I switched to infiniti and Nissan. After many years of driving these, I wanted something a little different. I still looked at the “safe“ cars, such as Audi and Mercedes. But when I drove the Giulia, I could truly feel the difference. The other cars were technically great, but the Alfa Romeo seemed to truly stand out. Since the car is relatively new, no one really knows how it will perform over the long run. But I can tell you that I have loved driving the Giulia every time that I’ve sat in it. I look forward to opportunities to drive it, even on the crowded N. Central Expressway in Dallas. For example, tonight, I’m going out with friends, and I’ve volunteered to drive. And they’re happy about it, not just because they don’t have to drive, but because they love the car too. The car, I realize, is an inanimate object, and doesn’t have a soul. But it feels like it does. Now, in regard to the spec, I considered an optioned Basic model or a TI. I went with an available optioned TI. I didn’t want to wait to order one. I found a great one with every option except AWD. In my opinion, The sports seats and the 19 inch wheels of the TI or worth it. The competition red paint is worth it. The leather package is worth it. The driver assistance static package, which includes the Blindspot detection and the auto dimming mirrors is also worth it.While I haven’t used the driver assistance dynamic plus package much, with lane departure and forward collision warning and adaptive cruise control, I think it will be useful on a Cross country Drive. The TI sport package with the active suspension and mechanical diff is definitely worth it. The sunroof and audio system is down really to just what you prefer. I like both of them. The short of all this is that buying an optioned out Giulia is an unknown, But you’ll have a great time getting there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My Other Car

Well I do not own a JCW tuned MINI but I have a Mini. We sort of stumbled on the AR and thought it was pretty sharp. First looking at the Stelvio’s which looked so much better than the other SUVs out there. Wanted something different. We landed on a Volcano Ti Sport AWD loaded we could not find the red comp in the configuration. Somehow we went from there to the QV. I love my Mini for different reasons and it is a great car. I have the toffee lounge leather with an ice blue exterior w/23k miles. I loved the Ti Sport but my husband won. He heard the pipes saw carbon fiber and that was it he was in strong admiration. So we should receive delivery on a red comp QV Monday or Tuesday. I have not seen a Giulia or a QV version yet on the roads. I really didn’t see many ice blue Mini’s either. The ARs are a little less noticeable than a Mini which is imistakable but the Alfa Romeo is certainly not ordinary or run of the mill so it fits my mold. Not sure what sold us but it must be some mysterious spell the Alfa has.>:) (The MINI is staying and not going anywhere either)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Had a 2003 Cooper S with overdrive supercharger pulley and a few cosmetics. Loved the car, didn't trust it outta warranty. The Giulia lit up the same buttons, and then some, as the Mini. You made a simple mistake, you test drove it...now just go peacefully and buy one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow...so many Mini peeps here! Happy to hear I'm among friends already.

I'm looking into a fully loaded TI Sport. Trying to decide on color choices. 1st choice is currently Alfa White / Tan, with all the trimmings. With the driver assist options, the static is a must, dynamic a choice. How many of you use the Dynamic features? Is it worth it?

2nd choice is black with black / ice interior.

Now...questions between RWD and Q2. I'm confused by the TI sport package with limited slip, vs the Q2...or am I getting it backwards?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also...coming from a Mini...my paddle shifters are incredibly responsive. When I test drove a TI sport, they felt more sluggish. Is this a common feeling?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts